Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me out sourcing a knifeadamantly blade blank

Help me out sourcing a knifeadamantly blade blank

My brother is driving me nuts about trying to find a halfway custom knife. I was trying to get him to get a blank, pick out handle blanks, and put them in the hands of a local builder to do the final fit/finish. I can't find any sources for steel shaped blanks (he is adamantly against damascus) and I had once seen a builder with a catalogue of tons of blanks. I can get the wood, and prob a builder ( recommendations in CO welcome) but the blade blank is kinda hard to get. Anybody have a lead?

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

I'm not at my computer at present,so I'll tell you this. Google knife making supplies,or knife blade blanks, you will have bunches of hits to chose from.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Moderator Emeritus

These guys have some really nice damascus blanks http://www.alabamadamascussteel.com/...-knife-blades/

In Remembrance
    (he is adamantly against damascus)

I have a a Tool & Die shop with a couple of employees that make some knives. They buy various types of steel from me for blades. If you like PM me and I will get contact info for you.

Do you have a basic style in mind?
    Kevin
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? (Sgt. Oddball, KELLY'S HEROES)
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    my feedback thread
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

Boolit Master

I've gotten blanks from here:

http://www.knifemaking.com/

Boolit Master
    I have an old blade around here somewhere that was made from a cutting tool of some sort of industrial wood working machine. The guy who gave it to me never got far in shaping the blade but as is it will shave the threads off a heavy steel bolt like whittling wood.

One day I'll get around to making a knife from it.

If you want a carbon steel blade you can anneal a Mill Bastard file. I've annealed these by leaving it in my old oil furnace over night then after shapping the blade I heated a little above cherry red and dropped it in a pan of used crankcase oil. The result was a very tough blade that took a straight razor like edge and point so sharp you could rest it on a drink can and it would slide right through it by its own weight. I used to use it to slice through steel belted tires , it cut these like butter.

My best looking knife is made from an old style solid chainsaw bar. No annealing or other heat treatment on that one. It takes a good edge, I'm sure its not as strong as some other steels but should be far more durable than most.
    The old style bars had a problem with chunks of the milled channel for the chain wearing through or breaking away, a lot of these ended up as scrap.

A local knife maker uses coil springs from automobile suspensions. He heats these and hammers them flat then makes his blades.
    Auto suspension springs are some very tough and durable steel.

Track of the Wolf is another source for blanks.
    The Bill of Rights - Void were prohibited by law.
    Soap Box, Ballot Box, Jury Box, Ammo Box. Which one of these is still working properly?
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyR...83SK1hk2GT-Jqg

Boolit Master
    There is a knife maker in Pagosa Springs

I'm saving back one broken power hacksaw blade to make a knife with...
    I also have a couple of planner blades from a millsmith buddy.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    Anybody ever try to make a blade out of a rasp. I made a pair of spurs out of rasps I got from a horse shoer.

Thanks for the replies guys. When I type custom blade into google, all I get are damascus blades (that was my choice and I had alabama damascus picked out)

Chuckbuster- I was hoping to steer him in a direction like this. Pick a steel, pick a shape, then we have the hard part down. He seems to be all caught up in the art knife guys magical way of heat treating. Alloy plays a larger part, but....He was after a classic Buck shape from what pictures he clicks on during searches.

Boolit Master

Why not just buy the Buck knife at $47 and change if that's what he likes. The fact that they're almost impossible to sharpen should have no bearing on it .
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

.45cole, take a look at knifemaking.com. Google up Jantz supply too.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by .45Cole View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys. When I type custom blade into google, all I get are damascus blades (that was my choice and I had alabama damascus picked out)

Chuckbuster- I was hoping to steer him in a direction like this. Pick a steel, pick a shape, then we have the hard part down. He seems to be all caught up in the art knife guys magical way of heat treating. Alloy plays a larger part, but....He was after a classic Buck shape from what pictures he clicks on during searches.
    This is what I suggested you google.
    I'm not at my computer at present,so I'll tell you this. Google knife making supplies,or knife blade blanks, you will have bunches of hits to chose from.

Just 1 search, more than you'll ever need

https://www.google.com/search?q=knife+making+supplies
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Moderator Emeritus

I have a Buck with the changeable blades, sharpens up fine on my EdgePro sharpener. My favorite grab it and go knife for work around the house and it has butchered many a deer and a few steers too

Quote Originally Posted by RayinNH View Post
    Why not just buy the Buck knife at $47 and change if that's what he likes. The fact that they're almost impossible to sharpen should have no bearing on it .

Boolit Grand Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Green River 001.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	122183

Have made some from Track of the Wolf kits. Have made a few since this one, Green River makes some good steel blanks. This was built as a hunting knife but it gets a lot of use in the kitchen as well.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

Attachment 122186

Here's a couple more, these things are addicting.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

USA knifemaker
    Jantz supply
    There are others out there too. Check out bladeforums.com for some more info. I bet you can find some local makers starting out that could make a great knife for short money.
    Good luck

If he is looking for a custom at a reasonable price. Have him go on facebook and look up Hatfield Custom Knives. That is my web site and I have 1095 carbon steel, Damascus, and S30V custom knives that start at 125 bucks for the 1095 carbon steel hunting knives. I still have one 1095 steel knife listed on the site that is not sold yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast