RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Auto conversation for the Star

Yeah but I had to go back and find the relevant post too

Boolit Master
    Ok, so it's not pretty but it seems to work when spinning by hand.

The indexing for drilling the holes was close, but not quite right, the last hole was a little short. The drill bits must have wondered a little when making the jig so the angles were not spot on 20 degrees, but either way, it did the job and did it pretty well. I just need to work out a better way to square the sides of the drilled holes. I guessed and used a hack saw, they are not all consistent and the dags on the plastic catches on the projectiles some times. I just need to debur it all. I believe a nice rounded top edge on the plate would help with reliability as they some times catch on the lube grooves so they do not sit flat on the base.

Either way, here is what i have so far:
    http://i903.photobucket.com/albums/a...202_055027.jpg
    http://i903.photobucket.com/albums/a...203_055233.jpg
    http://i903.photobucket.com/albums/a...203_055223.jpg
    http://i903.photobucket.com/albums/a...203_055217.jpg

It's not pretty, but all i want is something to tell me that the sizing is right. I will then do more work to make it look pretty and make it a friend for the loading press.

The one thing i did notice is that the part that you need to grind out to make the nose of the projectile follow to lay flat before flipping should be square. I used a rounded cutter and found it didn't "grab" the nose very well to lay it down, the squared edge i tried later worked much better.

The next big test will be if the motor i have in mind for this will work. It is a microwave turntable motor, slow spinning (5rpm), but i would hope it has enough torque being geared down so much. I wonder how long it will last doing this too..... With 17 slots, that is a 85/minute, that should be more than fast enough to keep up with anything i will be doing.

If the motor doesn't work, ebay has heaps of other slow turning options.

Boolit Master
    Ok, so a microwave turn table motor will not do the job.....

There is no way to know what direction it will turn when you apply power. Apparently this style of motor will switch direction if it stalls, so if you setup a ratchet it will only go in the direction you want but that is a lot more work than should be needed. I may need to go for a DC motor, then direction is not an issue. There are a few 240v ones that have three wires, so those should allow me to run it the direction i want every time.

Got a few more things to fiddle with to get the collator working flipping the projectiles. It's not reliable enough yet, needs fine tuning. I took a little too much out of the part that directs the nose out to flip, so the ones that are the right way round wobble and a few fall over, so that has been glued up just needs to set and i will grind it out again, hopefully not too much this time!

Didn't know they used AC motors but I did know that you could start some AC motors and they would go the wrong direction. Generally that indicates a capacitor start is bad or removed from the circuit.

AC/DC motors, shaded pole AC motors, cap start AC motors, 3 ph AC motors, all act different from one another. Different fixes for every design.

Boolit Master
    I never knew how they got around the issue on induction motors. Up untill a few days ago I had no idea what a shaded pole was. I thought swapping wires like dc motors would work but no. It doesn't matter what connection the hot wire goes to it is all dependent on the ac cycle AND the position of the magnetic core. I never knew they were just that complicated.

On the Mr. Bulletfeeder website for the new revised model it says nose up or nose down options available. I mention this because it is several hundred less than the MA systems collators sold with either the Magma or BC machines as an add on option.

Boolit Bub
    Bello Red Ork!,

Can you put the link where it says that?. I can not find it.
    Can I buy from Europe Mr. Bulletfeeder with nose down system?

Thank you very much!

ADMIN

In Europe - http://www.doublealpha.biz/bulletfeeder.htm
    I looked at both us sellers and the euro site and no where did I read it was both base up and base down
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks HATCH,

I too have been reviewing the webs (manufacturers and 2 authorized dealers) and can not find it. I have done simulations of purchase and does not appear the "nose down" option.

Now I have a Mr. Bulletfeeder (old model) and am interested in buying another with the option "nose down".

Banned
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gw0VdRcZrpA

Simple bullet flipper. Anyone can make this.

Boolit Bub
    Yes possibly be the cheapest option (bullet flipper). Although it seems a bit noisy. Anyone who manufactures?.

But I insist on knowing whether it is possible to buy Mr. Bulletfeeder with option "nose down". Thank you!.

We are going in circles, Hatch posted the link to that video last month in #44. Even less work to make the style that are the first two links of #28.

If you want it part of the collating process you either have to wait for one to come out or build one like the third link in post #28.

Boolit Buddy
    After phoning Rick, the," Mr Bullet Feeder", I received a video via email showcasing the reliability of the top-down feeding.

I contacted him sometime after the OP of this thread. Nice chat with a friendly guy. Oddly, the e-mail reply I sent to him re. whether his model was simply intended as a prototype demonstration--and pricing inquiry--got kicked back by my e-mail server. I didn't follow up. Then, work and holiday plans got in the way.

Tom, I'd suggest just phoning him. Fwiw, I called after typical business hours expecting to get his voice mail...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Highway View Post
    Bello Red Ork!,

Can you put the link where it says that?. I can not find it.
    Can I buy from Europe Mr. Bulletfeeder with nose down system?

Thank you very much!

Don't remember whre I read it. But it was in a list of changes between versions, I can't find it now.

But a little of the old Google-fu led me to a thread on the Brian Enos forms, then that lead to this video....
    http://s664.photobucket.com/user/qvi...2454c.mp4.html

Also this: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...eeder-for-star

Are you guys messing with me?

That is the third video in post #28 of this thread.
    Last edited by jmorris; 12-09-2014 at 11:45 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    THIS has my attention...
    Solvang Shootist
    SASS 60905-Life
    Frontier Cartridge Black Powder Shooter

ADMIN

Until I see a web site with it for sale it might as well be one of those Lyman mag 25s that have the pid built in.
    Until you can buy it it doesn't matter

Boolit Bub
    Thanks chloe123, but it would be impossible to talk to Rick, I do not speak English well and we could not understand. It would be complicated. hehe. Thanks for the information.

Thanks for the info, Red Ork.

Yes, JMorris, we go in circles. Hehehe. What happens is that I was excited to think I could buy it.

I'll have to make it, but I'm not a handyman. Sure I burn the house trying to do. LOL

ADMIN

Looks like I spoke too soon on the Mag 25 -> http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-arrived-today

I will do a search tonight for info on the nose down collator

ADMIN

I have looked at the video that Rick did and its pretty clear how he is doing it.
    Its the same deal he uses for nose up.
    You cut a channel for the base to ride in to the side ramp that flips it.
    Then on the bullet drop you make a rounded triangle (upside down) if it makes any sense..

If I had Jim's ability to machine and rig stuff it would be built already as its pretty easy.