RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
Snyders JerkyLoad DataReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: Barrels, makers and rifling forms

Boolit Grand Master

Barrels, makers and rifling forms

I am thinking of having another BPCR rifle built. Im leaning towards a C Sharps high wall in 40-65 with a 30"barrel. Ive been looking at various barrel makers as Im also considering having the barrel I want put on it. I have looked at kriegers site ( as an old High power shooter these were my go to for barrels for the service rifles), Lilja, shilen, douglas, hart, Bartlien, brux, pac-nor, and a few others. Its interesting and also baffling to a point. Krieger offers standard cut rifling hand lapped blanks in standard form, 5R form, and henry style. Shilen has standard and Rachet style rifling listed. several offer gain twist. Diffrent numbers of lands/grooves between the diffrent makers also. Diffrent tupes of manufacturing processes also, cut rifled hand lapped, broached some hand lapped others didnt say, button rifled, some cyrogenically treat to stress relieve blanks before and after manufacter, some stock before some dont say. I am planning on Chrome moly blank as I just cant see a high wall or other action with stainless barrel on it looking right. Im interested in opinions on what rifling form and makers are recomended? What experiences with them? I have a Green mountain on my hepburn and douglas on the cpa. I am leaning towards a round straight taper countor to make the weight limit and end up around 11 Lbs. Is the henry rifling worth the added cost? would 5R form work with BP and cast bullets ( it was a big plus in high power service rifle). Would the deeper rifling and better finish of the cut rifled be a plus? Alot of questions raised by my searches

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Unless you're rebarreling one of CSA gun's, they won't build one from out of their stock. They might rebarrel one with the customers barrel, if the mood strikes them.
    I had a local smith put a barrel from Oregon barrel co, built in 44 caliber and countoured to the same deminsions as the stock round barrel on my CSA 75. Haven't shot that barrel a whole lot, but so far the 90 some rounds I've thrown down range thru it haven't disappointed , other than one bullet design that apparently just isn't going to work as good as I had hoped..
    Their price was real reasonable, and they'll pretty much rifle the thing to your specs. Might be worth your time to check them out.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks Don will look for them on the web

Don - I have a question for you. What did Oregon barrel Co. make that barrel out of? I ask because as far as I knew they were only using 12L14 and maybe 1144. If they made it from 4140 or similar, I need to start talking to them about barrels for cartridge rifles! They will do (as you know) sizes that nobody else can.

Thanks!
    -Nobade

They made mine and Kurt's from 4140. They will make them from stainless, but he says he really doesn't like to work with it. Iron Coyote up in Canada has another 44 barrel coming from them. I think these barrels are real sleepers that are so far overlooked.

Boolit Master
    Gent; can you get a wide land width 40-65 bbl from Krieger and what would the lands and grooves measure? My Pedersoli and my shooting partners Shiloh both measure .100 x.100 and shoot good. I was told that wide lands will make bigger fins and effect accuracy but must need a better shooter than me to tell the difference. I put a 17 twist 45 wide land Krieger on and expected the lands and grooves to be 50-50 but the lands are about a 1-2 ratio.

I wanted a SST barrel made by the Oregon barrel Co but it would have run a bunch more because they have to get the blanks in large quantities to get just one and I was told the cost would be high.

One thing I would stress the depth of the groove you want if you order a barrel, they have a tendency to end up with a deeper groove then ordered.

If time was no problem I would consider a barrel from Jim King if you want a custom barrel dimensions.

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    They made mine and Kurt's from 4140. They will make them from stainless, but he says he really doesn't like to work with it. Iron Coyote up in Canada has another 44 barrel coming from them. I think these barrels are real sleepers that are so far overlooked.
    Thanks! I am going to have to talk with them about some projects next year...

-Nobade

Looking forward to hearing of your ventures with them. This barrel was shooting under moa the other day at 600. Cleaned up nice after 50 rounds. I'ld sure consider another one for any future rebarrel projects.