Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: Did a little casting & shooting this weekend, for my favorite 38's.

Boolit Master

Did a little casting & shooting this weekend, for my favorite 38's.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	38spec-25feet.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	122018

Only shot at 25 feet, not very impressive... But all were double action 2 cyl. full in a 4" Model 15, 1 cyl. full in a snubby Model 10 and 1 cyl. full in a ported 1 7/8" SP101. All were shot with the same point of aim!

These were Ideal 358439, plain base HP 158 SWC with 4.7 grains of HP38. This has always been a favorite load for me. My loading/shooting buddy talked me into sizing them in the Star with LBT Commercial Blue, I had always used 50/50 with this bullet. He did not like the sticky fingers and smoke from the lube. At least they still shoot!
    Last edited by mattw; 11-16-2014 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Fix attachment

Boolit Master

BTW, would someone here be willing to PC a hand full of these for testing? I could also send other types that I would like to test as well. I am behind on the technology... have not even tested any of them in any gun yet.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Lookin good! That's way better than I have ever done with a snub, especially with the SP-101 and its 40 lb. trigger pull. What do you mean by PC?
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Powder coat. The sp101 is dao, long cylinder with 3 ports down the rib of the barrel, good action job also.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Thanks, I didn't know that. Sorry, can't help you with the powder coat.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy Low Budget Shooter's Avatar
    Nice shooting!
    I'm not sure where all the money is that I've "saved" by casting and reloading!

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Hey . . that target indicates that you "put the perp down" - nice shooting! I have a Combat Masterpeice (pre 15), a M & P 5" (DOB 1952), a 1920s M & P Target, and a snub Model 36 as well as a 3" Model 36. I love the Smiths - great shooting revolvers and much fun at the range. Enjoy yours - looks like you have a good load to go with them! Enjoy!

Boolit Buddy
    PM me, I'm happy to PC some for you. I can ASBBT them for you, that’s where my best results have been

Boolit Master

I wish I had a couple of the pre-war S&W's, have not had the opportunity at a reasonable price. I would like a 38 long and some variant of the 32. My model 10 belonged to Dad and it is a late 47 or early 48 low 5 digit C serial number. I have many of their revolvers, purchased during the time when they made about anything.. so I have 10mm's, 45ACP's, 45LC's, 41's, 44's and several 357's. But I keep going back to the model 15 and model 10 for relaxed target shooting. I have always had a fascination with Smiths revolvers... they just fit my hands well. Have never owned a colt or a single action, just don't fit right.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    mattw - if you want to try something "different" - try some 38 Colt Shorts and Longs. I like loading and shooting them both out of my 38s. In the 38 Colt Short, I use a 121 gr RN from a Lyman 358242 mold. With 2 gr of Bulls Eye or 2.2 gr of Red Dot, it's a fun plinking round. I'm also playing around with Lee's 105 gr SWC in the Colt Short. Some folks get all in a dither about "bullet jump" as in shooting a 38 Spl in a 357 but I have no problems at all with it nor any problems with carbon build up in the cylinder as I clean after each shooting.

The 38 Colt Long casing is only about a 1/10" shorter than the 38 Spl. so there isn't a big difference in length but it's fun anyway - I like the Short and Long just for their history. In the 38 Colt Long, I load either the Lyman RN 358242 121 gr Lee's 358-150-1R 150 gr and of course, the powder charge is reduced from what the 38 Spl is due to decrease in case volume.

I have a set of Lee's 38 Colt Short/Long dies now set up on a separate turret plate for my Lee Classic turret press. Prior to that, for the Shorts and Longs is sized in the Lee Carbide die, expanded with my Lee 9mm powder through die with a 38 S & W expander, seated with my 9mm seater and put a taper crimp on them with a 9mm taper crimp die. Brass for the 38 Colt Short and Long is available from Track of the Wolf.

Just something to consider if you're looking for something a little different to play with. I also like to use the 38 Colt Short and Long loads out of my two Smith Model 36s - snub and 3". Lots of fun to shoot!

Boolit Master

I have been using bullets cast from the Lee 105... very accurate in all of my 38's with 3.7gr. of Titegroup. I have 2 very old pistols, and Iver Johnson and I don't remember the make of the other one that are 38 Long. The IJ was designed for smokeless, but is in rough shape... I am going to try and scrounge parts to make it work this winter. It is an old 2 lug break top with the owl looking down. I would actually like to find an affordable shooter in 38 Long or 32, but the key is affordable.