Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: wiping lead

Perma-Banned

wiping lead

I know about any lead can be used for roundballs. I want to know what "wiping lead" is & if it's soft enough to use for maxi-balls & such.

Boolit Master

If what you're asking about is telecom "wiping lead" bars, that is actually in most cases Alcatel-Lucent 38/62 wiping solder containing 38% tin. I haven't personally used it straight for mz boolits or roundballs but I'd guess it would be best cut with pure lead 1st to get it softer for expansion.
    But that's JMHO without verifiable experience, I'd think alloy of approx. 2/1 would be much harder than say a traditional BPCR 20 or 30 to 1 alloy, giving you less than optimal results.
    An old Cherokee was teaching his grandson about life. "Inside me two wolves fight," he told the boy.
    "One is evil - he is anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity, resentment, lies, false pride, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, generosity, truth and faith. The same fight is inside you - and every other person, too."
    The grandson thought for a minute and asked,"Which wolf will win?"
    The old Cherokee replied, "The one you feed."

Perma-Banned
    not really sure. I was askin' for someone else. he was lookin' for lead for maxi-balls & when I asked if he found any he said he had some wipin' lead & it seemed pretty soft. just wonderin' what he might have. I know from experience if yer maxi's are too hard ya gotta drive'em down the barrel & hopin to help him dodge this experience. anyone else have anything to add feel free to let'er rip.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    You are totally wasting Sn by using wiping solder for casting straight!!!!!!

And your projectiles will be way light.

use the solder to sweeten you mix for no more than 2% Sn. For roundball, you probably want soft lead anyway. No need for Sn to fill a round cavity! I don't use any.....save it for boolits.

banger

Boolit Master
    On the breaks of the Ohio River South Central Indiana
    The only wiping lead that I know about is the very soft lead bars that were used for auto body repairs, that has been replaced by "bondo" or the 2 stage plastic used today. I remember the bars had the alloy ratio lead and tin cast into them. But I have seen plumbers wipe the excess solder off copper fitting also.

A pump style blow torch ( like a Coleman gas lantern) was used to heat the body and the lead was melted and wiped onto the repair area with a cotton rag to fill small voids and seams if a panel was replaced.
    "NUTS" A. Clement McAullife

I've got some solder bars that my brother gave me years ago when he was a linesman. They are stamped 70/30, so are nothing special, just bar solder.

Perma-Banned
    yeh, i'm just gonna tell the guy his maxi's will likely be as hard as Chinese arithmetic & maybe he should join-up here & find him a box of soft lead in the classifieds. thanks all for the input.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by dikman View Post
    I've got some solder bars that my brother gave me years ago when he was a linesman. They are stamped 70/30, so are nothing special, just bar solder.
    And..........................70% TIN! Definitely something special to us casters.

If you ever wanted to know all the types of "solders" there out there check out the chart on this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solder

OMG!

banger

banger