MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxWideners
Load DataRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: Increasing freebore on barrel

Boolit Master

Increasing freebore on barrel

On a Glock, there is a heavy extractor which allows you to use .40SW brass at 10mm OAL and pressure in the 10mm Glocks. It is my understanding that the 1911s that are chambered for 10mm do not have that sort of extractor. Changing to a .40SW barrel would allow you to use .40SW brass, but you would unlikely be able to load to 10mm OAL. How do you go about increasing the freebore on a .40SW barrel in a 1911 so that you can handle a longer bullet / longer OAL?

I think a throating reamer gets you there. It is a combo of extractor and firing pin protrusion, some 1911 pattern pins protrude far enough to touch off a round that slipped past the extractor.

Boolit Grand Master

A throating reamer will allow this but magazine length may become an issue. On semi auto the cases headspace on the mouth of the case using the shorter case may become an issue in longer chambers its not exactly like shooting spls in a magnum chamber where the case headspaces on the rim. On the 610 Smiths the cases headspace on the rim / moon clips and cant drop past in the 10mm chamber with 40 S&W.

Boolit Master
    Do you intend to use 10mm mags and 40S&W ammo?
    If so a throating reamer is what you need.
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DCM View Post
    Do you intend to use 10mm mags and 40S&W ammo?
    If so a throating reamer is what you need.
    To be precise, my intention would be to use a .40SW brass loaded to 10mm OAL. I do this in my Glock 20, but with it's heavier extractor, it is in effect headspacing on the extractor. I have *heard* that the M1911s do not has as robust of an extractor, so this is not advised on a M1911. .40SW brass is plentiful as range pickup, not so much for the 10mm brass.

So, assuming that I end up acquiring a 10mm M1911 and wanted to fire rounds made from .40SW brass that were at 10mm OAL, then I would just need to get someone with a throating reamer to run it in there for a bit more space before the rifling?

Load the bullets into the rifling if they'll function in the magazine. Won't matter about the chamber or extractor.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by leftiye View Post
    Load the bullets into the rifling if they'll function in the magazine. Won't matter about the chamber or extractor.
    But then the rounds are custom for that particular firearm and might not work in any other firearms of that caliber that you own.

Thas why we reload - to make the best ammo for OUR gun(S).
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by leftiye View Post
    Thas why we reload - to make the best ammo for OUR gun(S).
    But, if you have multiple guns in a particular caliber, what might be best for one might not be best for the others.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I wish I had a pic of the XD40 I loaded for ,it has exactly what you're talking about as far as I know from the factory.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Vendor Sponsor

NavyVet1959 I will very soon be adding 9mm and 40 caliber reamers to the stable here, within 2 weeks. Yes as said you need a longer throat which *I* sometimes call freebore, even though it's not necessarily open unsupported space, it is the groove diameter + a few tenths.

This is a KKM barrel for a Glock 21 the owner wanted to run .45 Super, seated out long. Something similar to this is what you will need:

Last edited by DougGuy; 03-05-2015 at 12:02 AM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Vendor Sponsor

I have 9mm, 10mm/40 S&W throating reamers and expanding mandrels in house, so I can offer the throat, crown & polish package on these calibers starting NOW!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.