Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: '58 Navy, Lee conical

Boolit Buddy

'58 Navy, Lee conical

Got my Uberti '58 Remington Navy from Midway, have cast a bunch of Lee conicals and have lubed them with Lee's liquid alox. Was wondering if anyone has a suggestion for a pyrodex load.

20 grains is about all I can get under a Kaido conical in my Pietta .36 Belt Model Remington. Start there or at 15 and if you go over, have a sharp knife handy to cut the top of the conical off so the cylinder will rotate.
    "He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God." - John 3:18

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the heads up SD.

I love the LEE 200gr conicals. My favorite "thumper" is 30grs of FFFg BP under the lubed bullet. With Pyro-P you could fill the chamber to about 1/4" from the top and ram the conical down on it enough to clear the mouth. You could likely get about 35grs by VOLUME of Pyro-P under the conical. That is a pretty stout load. 30gr by volume Pyro under a lube wad and the conical would shoot all day. One thing I found out with Pryo is that it needs to be compressed more than BP to get reliable ignition. I got a lot of delayed ingnition with Pyro unless the ball was rammed hard onto the powder. i.e. paBOOM! instead of just BOOM! I'm dubious that the liquid alox is gonna soften the fouling enough. I'd still try to rub a BP compatible lube into the bullet grooves and put more on top of the bullet after ramming.

P.S. The roundball will shoot lower than the heavier conical.
    Hellgate in Orygun
    With 16+revolvers, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap&ball.
    If you do not subscribe to a newspaper you are uninformed. If you do subscribe to a newspaper you are misinformed. Mark Twain
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    Well... the LLA isn't really good for black powder. I know their molds are designed for such, but I think you'll get softer fouling and better accuracy if you go the traditional route, and seal the cylinders over the bullet with something; Bore butter, beeswax/crisco, whatever.

Thumbs up

What jonk said!

Salvadore,
    Did the Lee .36 bullets fit into the chambers ok?

The LEE 36cal 130gr conical fits into my Remington & Colt navies.
    Hellgate in Orygun
    With 16+revolvers, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap&ball.
    If you do not subscribe to a newspaper you are uninformed. If you do subscribe to a newspaper you are misinformed. Mark Twain
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn