PBcastcoTitan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading Everything
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackbox
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: Where do I get or how can I make short / light 16 gauge shells?

Boolit Buddy

Where do I get or how can I make short / light 16 gauge shells?

So I found the coolest old shotgun! It's a Mauser 98 in 16 gauge! Called a Remo II. Very unique with beautiful workmanship all over but has a few nicks from field use.

Not my picture, as I can't upload from my robot phone here but a similar example.

It was a knee jerk purchase & after researching them I read that the action is hogged out so much in the conversion that it might not be safe with modern loads.

Now I'm pretty ugly to begin with, so a Mauser bolt sticking out of my forehead will make it even harder to successfully chase tail.

So what I need is to figure out what the krauts had for shotgun shells circa 1920s & procure some or find a way to load them myself.

I feel no gun is too nice to shoot so I don't want this to become a wall hanger. I might only take it out once a year looking for bunny rabbits or bob whites so a box or two of shells would be plenty for quite some time.

Push comes to shove & I'll have to make my own. I would prefer to buy as I would imagine the equipment & components to feed this beaut will cost more than a couple boxes of shells.

But if I have to load them, I will.

So.

Where can I buy old 16 gauge shells safe for this?

Does anybody here feed a similar gun?

If that doesn't come out in the wash, what do I need to roll my own?

Thanks for any help!

-Ray.

Boolit Master

I had both a GEHA and REMO bolt shotgun. The GEHA was a converted rifle, the bolt only secured by the third lug. The REMO was purpose made for shotshell and was also 16 ga. The difference is in the shotshell shield.
    I used regular Remington slugs thru both for turkey shoots. Many modern bolt shotguns only have one lug. When I started reloading shotshell, I learned about low pressure powder and used that in my reloads for these guns. I used standard length shells in both guns.
    Hope this helps.

Boolit Master

Check out Fiocchi web site for 16 ga shells.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm seeing some shells now, thanks!

Thing is, even though they're shorter, they're loaded warmer than the shells I already have! Which are 1oz load, 2.5 dram.

Boolit Grand Master

Check the link Garyshome posted and take a look for BPI load bulletins. Not sure about 16 ga. but I got some single page reloading info for short hull 12 ga. and their Shotshell Reloadiing Handbook also has short hull reloading data for 12 ga. I'd be surprised if they didn't have something. Also check their load of the week archives ~ lots of good stuff there too,Longbow

Boolit Master

The best is RST
    http://www.rstshells.com/store/m/3-16-Gauge.aspx
    They will ship to your house
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Buddy
    That's sone good looking stuff!

There's so many choices though.. fiber wad, woodcock, spreader, A5... the list goes on.

I saw the paper shells, which I thought would be cool for old times sake but they're out.

Any suggestions on a specific shell? Use would be quail or rabbits (whichever I come across in the woods) or maybe some clays if there's no game.

I'm thinking the regular 1oz load @ 1200 fps with 7.5 shot. However I'm not a shotgun guru.

Thanks so much!

Boolit Master

Fun stuff
    I like #6 for rabbits and #7.5 for quail and any of their loads will do just fine
    I like the light stuff as the REMO is pretty light

If you ever have the barreled action out of the stock, I would LOVE to see the proof
    marks !!

http://www.shotguns.se/html/germany_1890-1945.html

Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95