WidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackbox
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 8 of 70 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171858 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW ! ! T/L Liquid Lube

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Thanks Ben! That mule snot emulsified in only a few seconds. Couldn't have been any easier. Now I just need to bring some bullets in to warm them up so I can coat them

I did mix up the percentages. Used more wax than Alox. Since I only want to use it as a hard coating I'm hoping it works. If not I will just start over.

Please let us know how it works for you.

Ben

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Please let us know how it works for you.

Ben
    Will do. They're drying right now. I used some bullets that became rather sticky from storage in the loft above my garage. Hoping they turn out tack free. These are also ones of known accuracy w/ my hunting loads. So testing will show if there is any change in POI.

Love Life
    Well...you leave us in suspense!! Sweet tile work by the way.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    Well...you leave us in suspense!! Sweet tile work by the way.
    Sorry, been busy all morning. Bullets were a little tacky this morning. They're in my basement which is on the cooler side so I'm not surprised. I will give it until tomorrow afternoon. I used it sparingly but could have used to much.

I will say that they coated instantly and evenly. The coating is clear so none of the brown look you get w/ Alox. I have high hopes.

The tile work......it brings up a sore subject. And that would be Lowes screwing me out of a $500 gift card. Something to the effect that I didn't send them the entire receipt so they wouldn't honor it

Love Life
    I thought I was single handedly keeping Lowes in business this year, but I see you have been helping out!!

I am getting a bullet knurling machine (for some reason I can't stop ADDING processes to the whole boolit thingy), and I want to give this a try with knurled bullets.

Ben,

Latest test: .45/70 guide gun, old Ideal 457122 HP 385 gr. (I know, it casts the heaviest of any 457122 I've used) unsized, as cast .460, one coat BLT (Ben's Lube-Tumble) 13 grains of Vintage Hercules Unique, 1200 fps. 50 rounds fired left a light wash of lead that never got worse. This is typical for this rifle with this PB bullet cast from soft bullet trap scrap regardless of lubrication used. This rifle came to me with a lightly frosted bore just forward of the chamber for 2-3 inches.

No no hero shot of the group, all 50 shots at 50 yards offhand was about 6-8 inches and not too photogenic. Did I mention the sun was going behind the mountain, wind coming up, temperature dropping........

Here is a photo before the shooting beganClick image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	124802

Thanks I'll give this a try.

Boolit Master

B.L.O.O.D. (Ben's Liquid Ogive Overcoating Dip) seems to pass the .45ACP test.

My dad, the ROMOL (Retired Old Man Of Leisure) loaded up 30 of my LBT 230grs that were tumble lubed with no sizing and 30 more that were sized with Ben's Red+5% extra BW. Dad's assessment was that the overcoat on the Ben's Red slugs took longer to dry - possibly due to pulling a little lube out of the grooves?? I shot them out of the Operator at 810fps. A little easily-removed bore streaking with the straight TL's, but I think not lead. The Ben's Red + TL did not do this, but I think we have a workable option for mass-producing low pressure pistol loads.

30 rounds each is not really an exhaustive test, but I get the impression that either of the above is cleaner outside of the bore than Ben's Red all by itself. B.R. has proven to be a great rifle lube for us in the bolt guns and single shots in which everything goes forward out the tube, but we seem to get a fair amount of greasy-sooty around the 1911 breaches and revolver cylinder gaps. Need to play with it some more.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Grand Master

Final report. Went down to check the bullets this morning. The tackiness I am feeling is the 2500+ that's in the lube grooves. The rest of the bullet is sealed w/ no tackiness at all. I will try a second batch of bullets that isn't as sticky as this batch. It didn't keep the lube contained in a hard shell for storage this time around. I will play around and see if I can make that happen

This will be replacing 45/45/10 for me. I only use it on low velocity pistol rounds and BLL is far easier to make and apply.

Boolit Grand Master
    " BLL is far easier to make and apply. "

DITTO ! !

MERRY CHRISTMAS,

Ben

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    AS soon as I get home to Louisiana, I will be buying the wax and making this for ALL my pistol rounds!! Heck of a lot cheaper then the HI-TEK stuff I bought in the past!! And, shooting .38's, 40's, and 45's, I don't see me using anything else for medium-velocity rounds!!! In .30 caliber cast rifle rounds, Hi-TEK first and this second, should be a heck of a combo! I will let you know how it works out! Thanks for a really innovative idea. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!!!
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Master

We should have a .45 ACP/Titegroup/hardball velocity endurance test report for you in fairly short order. Was over visiting Pop tonight and he showed me the 200 that he had coated in B.L.O.O.D. yesterday for the purpose. He seems to have the technique down - you have to look REALLY hard to tell that they have anything on them at all, yet coated they are. . .
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    dragon813gt came very close to revealing a significant attribute of BLL . But I will say it for us.
    When you size and force a bit of traditional lube into the grooves of the boolit, the lube is often exposed in the finished cartridge.
    If you tumble the lubed, sized, boollit in BLL very lightly you get complete coverage of the boolit surface, including the nose which is no longer sticky when dry or you may not have to do other than seat the GC, and not even use traditional lube. That's a big PLUS.

MERRY CHRISTMAS To All!

BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

Boolit Grand Master
    BvT,

Good to hear from you.
    Merry Christmas,

Ben

Boolit Buddy
    Just a heads up. Our Lowes here in GA stocks the Johnson's floor wax, they probably do in other areas as well. Another place to find it anyway. I picked up a bottle today to give this a shot. Found a clear "ketchup" bottle at the Dollar store for a buck.
    -William

"How air ye fixed fer meat, Del?" --John Johnson Crow Killer, The Saga of Liver-Eating Johnson

My Feedback: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t=stonecrusher

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    35 shooter :

I'm toying around with a pair of 7 X 57 mm rifles now. Here is one that I tested with the RCBS 140 grainer several weeks ago.

I've been shooting several different 7 mm cast bullets in my new custom, Argentine 98 Mauser, 7 X 57 mm rifle during the past month, looking for " just the RIGHT load ".

I've shot the Lee 132 gr. soup can, the RCBS, 168 gr., the SAECO 073, and the RCBS 145 gr. Today I also fired about 30 rounds with the 175 gr. RN , Lyman 287308.

As of this date, the clear leader in the accuracy dept. is the RCBS , 145 gr., regardless of the powder used and velocity of the round .

I've yet to find a bullet / load combination at 100 yards that will beat it's performance in my particular rifle.

I fired this 10 shot group at 100 yards. I'll readily take the blame for the " 4 wild rounds ". Sloppy shooting on my behalf. However , that still leaves me with 6 rounds in a shade over 1/2 " ! ! ANY of the 10 rounds would have killed anything that I'm likely to be shooting at.

I find the accuracy potential of this rifle to be impressive considering that this is a super light weight hunting rifle.

A fun load, and a fun rifle to shoot !

( BTW, all powder charges were thrown with a SAECO powder measure, none were weighed, no bullets were weighed, mixed HS brass, all cases were neck sized and fired about 6 - 7 times each )

Ben

The target you see below was shot with :

Alliant Unique 11.0 grs., RCBS 145 gr., Sized .2864" with an OAL of 3.065" , using Wolf Large Rifle Primers. Neck sized brass. 10 round group fired at 100 yards.

6 rounds in a shade over 1/2 " Range 100 yards

Well, I thought I had read every post in this thread till I decided to go back through it tonight. Ben I like your rest set-up. I'm a bit disappointed as I thought I was the only one who had thought to use one of those worthless jacks as a front rest. They do make good rests don't they? and the price is right too.

Boolit Grand Master
    You bet, I only wish that I'd made it much earlier ( like 40 yrs. ago )........

Ben

Boolit Master
    You guys got me. Gave it a go today. Sure is easy to mix up. I used about 200% more than i needed to tumble these.
    I will be more careful next time.

will see how my 327 mag likes them.

Boolit Grand Master
    It is like the old Brylcreem commercial of the late 1950's.

A little dab will do ya'.

Ben

Banned

Click image for larger version. 

Views:	1236 
Size:	13.3 KB 
ID:	125214Click image for larger version. 

Views:	61 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	125211
    Last edited by jmort; 12-24-2014 at 04:40 PM.

Page 8 of 70 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171858 ... LastLast