Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan ReloadingRepackbox
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 7 of 70 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161757 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW ! ! T/L Liquid Lube

Thanks Ben, I really enjoy not having to cook the JPW to make the 45-45-10 + the new lube dries truly hard and seals your Ben's Red in the lube grooves and on the base of the bullet. Much neater to store and I don't have to wipe the bullet base before I seat bullets.

Another advantage is that my seating dies stay clean. I loaded 300 .38-55s today using bullets lubed with Ben's Red and Ben's tumble lube, my seating die stayed absolutely clean, a huge benefit.

I'm thinking the off hand shooting was a fluke, this rifle has never put 5 in one hole before at 50 even from the bench. Nice clusters, but nothing like the last five. Even though it finally got above freezing here today, my bench was wet after removing the snow and I didn't want to get my butt wet, thus off hand practice. The only witness was my dog Hank and he'll never say a word to back me up.

Boolit Master
    Hey Ben...I tried your new lube a few days ago. Your lube in 38 special and another load lubed the standard way. The standard lube leaded the bore after 12 shots. Six rounds of your lube removed the leading completely and did not lead at all for how many rounds one would want to shoot.

We then returned to the load that leaded. It was ok for six rounds & then leaded again. Six rounds of your lube removed the leading again. And it wouldn't lead no matter how many rounds we shot.

We did this back and forth FOUR times with the same results each time. I'm sold on this for low velocity in revolvers. Now to see how high can we go....

One wonders what this lube would do on a powder coated boolit at high velocity too ....

Dale

Boolit Grand Master
    Dale,

Now to see how high can we go....

Ultra high velocity is an area that Ben's LL has never been tried in ? 1,800 fps with a .30 cal. cast bullet has been my velocity ceiling so far.

Keep us posted please.

Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 12-13-2014 at 08:25 AM.

Hey Ben, I had Ben's Liquid Lube up to around 2200 ft/sec today! I lubed and sized with Ben's Red and followed up with a coat of Ben's LL. My load was 56.0gr IMR4350 behind a HT'd Lyman 358009 in my 35 Whelen with 22" barrel.

Boolit Bub
    Tried it today in a 30-30 24" BBL 2100fps RD/NOE TL311-165 GC using Lyman #2 Alloy 3 heavy coats (enough to partially fill the grooves). While not a thin coat like most folks are doing but it worked. No leading.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Yodogsandman View Post
    Hey Ben, I had Ben's Liquid Lube up to around 2200 ft/sec today! I lubed and sized with Ben's Red and followed up with a coat of Ben's LL. My load was 56.0gr IMR4350 behind a HT'd Lyman 358009 in my 35 Whelen with 22" barrel.
    How did your test of the lube(s) work out ?
    Results ? ?
    Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 12-15-2014 at 08:45 AM.

NEW ! ! T/L Liquid Lube

OK, here's some photos showing the difference between using a commercial, orange colored stick lube and Ben's Red/Ben's Liquid Lube combo. These are under similar conditions but different batchs of boolits. The load I'm showing is at 54.0gr because groups started to open up with more powder than that but, there still was no leading. The only reason I shot similar loads is due to changing to new powder lots from 1999 vintage to 2014 new.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 35whelenlubepics 001.jpg   35whelenlubepics 003.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master
    That looks like deer meat to me ! !

GREAT !

Ben

Boolit Grand Master
    Just shot some 215 gr .38 Spec's with Ben's Red & Ben's LL. Clean as a whistle. Will do more soon to comment on accuracy. Love this stuff.

Boolit Grand Master
    Addictive isn't it ?

Boolit Grand Master

I just bought some of the liquid wax today. Just need to find a bottle to mix up a batch in. I'm hoping it can serve a dual purpose. To replace 45/45/10 and to seal bullets lubed w/ conventional lubes. I really like 2500+ but it gets soft in the summer. Haven't had the same accuracy w/ Carnauba Red. Hopefully this works as a sealer and holds up to summertime storage temps. That test is months off

Boolit Grand Master
    Addictive - yes. It's just so much better than what I've used in the past and is by far easier than what I've used in the past.

Love Life
    Is the dried consistency about like rooster jacket? I've used the 45/45/10 and it was alright, but still not what I was looking for.

Banned

This formulation has many things going for it, no heating/cooking, common ingredients, and usage for both conventional prelubed bullets or unlubed bullets. Drys quickly and not tacky. Never used Rooster Lube. This thread should be a sticky, but the bullets are not.
    Last edited by jmort; 12-16-2014 at 12:23 PM.

Love Life
    ^^ I agree. I may need to mamke some up to test. I love rooster jacket because it actually dries, but LLA and 45/45/10 beat it hands down for performance once you start to get near magnum pistol levels.

So if I could have the good qualities of the LLA along with the hard candy coating of rooster jacket, then I might even give up coating and go back to plain ol' tumble lubing!

Banned

You are a man of action, and I am certain you could add a whole lot to this thread. Plus there is the serendipity of the LL acronym.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm unaware of anyone who has made it and used it that is not impressed with the lube.

Ben

Boolit Grand Master
    Love Life,

One added benefit over coating is no oven needed and you can coat lubed bullets.

I have been off the site for quite a while and saw this thread. Ben - great job. This is so simple a caveman can do it. The ability to coat pistol bullets easily and cheaply is important as most of the bullets we shoot are pistol bullets. I have 30,000 commercial bullets and I am going to try this as I do get a bit of leading with them. It should help with the challenges of shooting 9mm and .40 cast.

It is not possible to use PC coating on commercially lubed bullets - so you have a winner in that respect.

Thank you for your effort and sharing this with us.

Don Verna

Love Life
    I'm going to try an get the ingredients together this weekend and test after the 1st of the year.

Boolit Grand Master

NEW ! ! T/L Liquid Lube

Thanks Ben! That mule snot emulsified in only a few seconds. Couldn't have been any easier. Now I just need to bring some bullets in to warm them up so I can coat them

I did mix up the percentages. Used more wax than Alox. Since I only want to use it as a hard coating I'm hoping it works. If not I will just start over.

Last edited by dragon813gt; 12-17-2014 at 09:16 PM.

Page 7 of 70 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161757 ... LastLast