Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load Data
Page 69 of 70 FirstFirst ... 19596061626364656667686970 LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,380 of 1386

Thread: NEW ! ! T/L Liquid Lube

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by no34570 View Post
    waco
    I found it,but at over $96 ,here https://www.fishpond.com.au/Homeware...YaAnJVEALw_wcB

Bugger!
    There are too many other things that would work as well or almost as well to pay that kind of price. I would think that the original lube that Ben worked up would work at much less money. Assuming you can get Johnson's Paste Wax.

BTW, how much is $96 in A$?
    John
    W.TN

Attachment 236878
    I have 9 cans of that stuff left, one is under the kitchen sink. My Wife likes it for the oak dinette set and wood floor. We have a salvage store that buys damaged goods from shipments and I stop there now and then to get stuff and he had a whole shelf with this wax so I picked it up a couple years ago because my Wife likes it so well.
    I don't have much use for this kind of lube but I mixed up a 1/2 gallon for my lever rifle I use for the silhouette game and it works fine for the .30/30 and .45-70 lever rifle with smokeless. But I think the 1/2 gallon of this mix will out last me.
    If you guys really like this product check out some of the salvage stores if you have them. They might still have cases of it. My local store is a very big shed several thousand square feet and I have a hard time walking through the isles when I look for something.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    There are too many other things that would work as well or almost as well to pay that kind of price. I would think that the original lube that Ben worked up would work at much less money. Assuming you can get Johnson's Paste Wax.

BTW, how much is $96 in A$?
    Hey Mate
    I do have Johnsons paste wax,that cost me over $35 AUD on ebay,the price for the Lundmarks is in Aussie dollars,would be about $69.30 US.
    Cheers

no34570

"I'll tell you what rule we applied sir,We applied rule 3-0-3, We caught them and we shot them, under rule 3-0-3." :Lt Harry " Breaker" Morant at his court martial in January 1902.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lead pot View Post
    Attachment 236878
    I have 9 cans of that stuff left, one is under the kitchen sink. My Wife likes it for the oak dinette set and wood floor. We have a salvage store that buys damaged goods from shipments and I stop there now and then to get stuff and he had a whole shelf with this wax so I picked it up a couple years ago because my Wife likes it so well.
    I don't have much use for this kind of lube but I mixed up a 1/2 gallon for my lever rifle I use for the silhouette game and it works fine for the .30/30 and .45-70 lever rifle with smokeless. But I think the 1/2 gallon of this mix will out last me.
    If you guys really like this product check out some of the salvage stores if you have them. They might still have cases of it. My local store is a very big shed several thousand square feet and I have a hard time walking through the isles when I look for something.
    Lead pot
    Good one there mate
    We do have clearnce warehouses,but not around my town,more to the big smoke(big cities).
    Cheers

no34570

"I'll tell you what rule we applied sir,We applied rule 3-0-3, We caught them and we shot them, under rule 3-0-3." :Lt Harry " Breaker" Morant at his court martial in January 1902.

Boolit Bub
    I have found myself in a bit of a bit of a quandry. I am disabled and can't travel to a range so I set up a small shooting range in my back yard. After doing this I ran into a real problem with the ammo. I need low power quiet ammo for my short range and to not cause either the neighbors or my dogs to go crazy so I started out with CCI CB long ammo -- the CCI quiet ammo is not quiet. the availability of that ammo went south so I went to Aguila super colibri ammo and darn if that ammo availability went south. Well, when the Aguila Colibri first came out (not the super Colibri) I bought 5000 rounds probably back in 1996 or so. So I am trying this ammo since it's my last choice. The problem is back when I bought that Colibri ammo they did not coat the bullets and If I shoot it in a 16.5" barrel the bullets will get stuck 50% of the time. I found that if I used light machine oil on each bullet they shoot fine. Since the bullets come in a plastic tray I decided to put some motor oil in a small plastic tub and place the whole tray of ammo in it with the oil just deep enough to cover the bullets so now I can go through a whole box of ammo without a single bullet getting stuck in the barrel. My problem now is it can get a bit messy. These old Colibri bullets have nothing on them but the newer Super Colibri bullets have a shine to them like a coating and after reading about this mixture of Alox and Johnson's liquid floor wax on the bigger bullets I was wondering if I could just use the Johnson's wax -- maybe even some of my wife's spray Johnson's wax on these small bullets. The bullets are only 20 grains and are crimped in a case so it's a complete cartridge. I would probably need to make something that would allow me to just spray the bullets. All you fellows here know way more about lubricating a bullet and I really need something to add some type of lubricating coating to these little rounds without the mess I have right now with using machine oil on each bullet. The oil gets in the action and on my hands and gets messy but it works 100%. I honestly don't know if the new Aguila Colibri ammo has that same coating that the Super Colibri has and I still have at least 3000 rounds of that original purchase I made many years ago and don't want to waste it. Do you think the spray wax would work? I've tried spray dry film lube and it does not work.

Boolit Bub
    OK, this is what I did -- I kind of followed the path you fellows here were on but since these rounds (plain Aguila Colibri) are very under powered I did what I could with what I had on hand. What seemed to work 100% for these rounds was a shallow amount of mineral spirits and Alox mixed in. Not a lot of Alox but enough to turn the mineral spirits just a bit dark. I then took the rounds, still in the upper part of the plastic holder and dipped the bullets into the mix. It may have been deep enough that maybe an 1/16th of an inch of the case got some of the mix on it. I let the cartridges dry over night and tried them today and they shot great. That means I can still practice with my single shot although this ammo is not as accurate as the faster better stuff but I can't get the good stuff so I will make do with what I have. Thanks to all of you for talking about this and giving me a way to make my old ammo work.

Boolit Buddy
    Just to let members know -- it looks like the new liquid paste wax (Lundmark) has decreased in price a LOT. Amazon is selling it for $11.01 per quart here:

https://www.amazon.com/Lundmark-Wax-...dp/B000BYCTWW/

And the very first review on the page (at least for me) mentions the castboolits website!

Boolit Buddy
    Looked through stash I found i had about 3 cans from aces hardware 2.5 now and some bll finding alox is the problem but i do have enough bll to do 1000+ bullets ez now.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Buck Shot View Post
    Just to let members know -- it looks like the new liquid paste wax (Lundmark) has decreased in price a LOT. Amazon is selling it for $11.01 per quart here:

https://www.amazon.com/Lundmark-Wax-...dp/B000BYCTWW/

And the very first review on the page (at least for me) mentions the castboolits website!
    According to the link, you can get one can for $8.49 or a four pack for $124.90 ($31.23 per can). I bet Amazon is hoping most people will buy the four pack.

Also strange that a 5 month old link still works even though the price has apparently changed.
    Last edited by alamogunr; 02-01-2022 at 11:44 PM.
    John
    W.TN

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I've found out this stuff is great as a stand alone lube on the 120 grain bullets I use in my .30 Badger . Velocity is around a thousand feet per second .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Escapee from The People's Republik of Kalifornia - Now in AZ, "Where Free Men Live!"
    What is the container you are using and where did you find it?

I'll be trying your method next time out.

mac
    Kalifornia passes "feel good" legislation hand over fist, legislation that is looking for a problem to solve and affecting only law abiding persons.

So, after 40 years of that nonsense, that's why I now live in Arizona.

Boolit Grand Master
    The very best container is a used glass jelly jar that has a water tight lid.
    I stated out using plastic bottles that are made for ketchup , etc. They are not air tight and allowed BLL to thicken and change viscosity. That won't happen if you use a glass jar, like a jelly jar.
    I have some BLL on my loading bench that is 2 yrs. old with almost no change in viscosity of the BLL.

Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 02-13-2022 at 10:19 AM.

Moderator Emeritus

I use, or should I say re-use, the plastic Lee Alox bottle.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Escapee from The People's Republik of Kalifornia - Now in AZ, "Where Free Men Live!"
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I use, or should I say re-use, the plastic Lee Alox bottle.
    I've noticed that over time the original lube in the original bottle tends to thicken, requiring a dose of mineral spirits to bring it back to proper viscosity.
    Kalifornia passes "feel good" legislation hand over fist, legislation that is looking for a problem to solve and affecting only law abiding persons.

So, after 40 years of that nonsense, that's why I now live in Arizona.

Moderator Emeritus

I've noticed that also on older containers of Lee Alox, but not the new ones that come sealed in a bag.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

When my LL Alox gets thick, I just microwave for 10-12 seconds and adjust from there.

I prefer powder coating now but if you like to lube the Lee liquid alox/johnson wax concoction is the way to go in my opinion.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by weeple2000 View Post
    In Sept. of 1016, it appears Ben updated it to: 30% LLA or Xlox /30% Lundmark Liquid Wax /40% Mineral spirits (or naptha). Pour together & shake, no heating required.

Two more questions.

Can I use paint thinner instead of mineral spirits?

Can I add the ingredients separately along with my bullets and mix as I tumble?
    Whoa, Ben's been around a looog time,, 1016.

Boolit Grand Master
    The problem with this statement is that I looked in the mirror yesterday and realized that I do look like that I was born in 1016.

Ben

I mix and store the majority of my BLL in a Ragu jar. Couple of 30 cal lead boolits in the bottom as an aid to mixing.

I half fill an original Alox container and use it as my ready supply. Refill as needed.

And I really love 1% by weight of Carnuba wax added for quick dry and hard shell. And my gun bores love it too!
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Page 69 of 70 FirstFirst ... 19596061626364656667686970 LastLast