WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 66 of 70 FirstFirst ... 16565758596061626364656667686970 LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,320 of 1386

Thread: NEW ! ! T/L Liquid Lube

Boolit Bub
    Where did you find the liquid Johnson's Wax?

Moderator Emeritus

Johnson's has discontinued the liquid "one step no buff wax".
    But you can find it on ebay.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Bub
    Any substitute or must it be Johnsons?

Moderator Emeritus

Ben has said, Lundmark is a "pretty good alternative"
    and he also stated (on 12-25-2016), "At this point in time ( at least from my experiences ), I have now used this Alternate for about a year, I can't tell a lot of difference in the original BLL and the Alternate BLL"

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Best-Lube-Ever!

I hope that helps.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I have several cans that I find at a salvage store from damaged shipments or truck wrecks these stores buy for pennies on the dollar. I just picked up two more cans Saturday looking for something else I wanted and saw some on the shelf again so I picked them up because my wife likes it for wood furniture polish. I don't use it for my bullet lube. I find it for less then $4.

Attachment 211925

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff100 View Post
    Has anyone tried using liquid automotive wax? Thinking these automotive liquid waxes might be water based, I checked the MSDS sheet for Turtle brand Liquid Carnuba wax. The MSDS sheet lists petroleum solvents. Automotive liquid wax is easy to find and plentiful in supply. I just spent half a day looking for Johnsons floor wax in my area, none to be found so I'm a bit frustrated with this right now, wish I'd read the last dozen posts of this thread before heading out the door. - JJ
    Jeff: Try the Mothers California Gold spray wax, just make sure to get the top coat sealing wax.
    It has no abrasives in it and is just carnuba wax with solvent. Easy to find at any automotive
    store. Or use the Lundmark Liquid Paste Wax. costs about the same. I've used both and do not
    get any leading in my guns. Give it a try.
    webfoot10

Boolit Master
    This might be a good substitute for the discontinued Johnson's liquid paste wax. Too bad it only comes in gallons though; http://www.hardwood-cleaner-resource...-Neutral-128oz

Boolit Buddy
    Question for BLL users.

Do you lube then size, or size then lube? Seems like with a tumble lube if you lubed then sized you'd need to re-lube.

I tumble lube, then size before they dry. Then i give it 2 more coats letting it dry between coats for rifle shooting.
    It works out to about 3 coats, as it doesn't all come off in the sizer, but i'm only sizing down about a thou.

For handgun i lube, size, then 1 extra coat. Magnum loads might need the same amount as rifle.

Boolit Master

This thread has gone on for so long that if I asked this question previously, please bear with me. Way back when Alox was bought out by Lubrizol, I bought a 5 gallon bucket of Alox 606-55(I have a tendency to go a little overboard) which was the base stock for LLA. The "55" refers to the Alox 606 portion of the stuff, which leaves 45% solvent(https://www.thegearboxguys.com/data/ALOX606-55pds.pdf). LLA has a lot more mineral spirits because the 606-55 has the consistency of peanut butter.

Can anyone tell me how to approximate LLA in the BLL recipe? I would like to be able to know what fraction by volume of mineral spirits I would add to the 606-55. I've had pretty good luck just winging it making 45-45-10, but it is possible if I tried to be more precise, I might get better result with Ben's Liquid Lube.

Something tells me I'm going to be trying to figure out a way to sell the remaining Alox 606-55 this summer. I would have to live to be 150 to use it all up.
    John
    W.TN

Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    This thread has gone on for so long that if I asked this question previously, please bear with me. Way back when Alox was bought out by Lubrizol, I bought a 5 gallon bucket of Alox 606-55(I have a tendency to go a little overboard) which was the base stock for LLA. The "55" refers to the Alox 606 portion of the stuff, which leaves 45% solvent(https://www.thegearboxguys.com/data/ALOX606-55pds.pdf). LLA has a lot more mineral spirits because the 606-55 has the consistency of peanut butter.

Can anyone tell me how to approximate LLA in the BLL recipe? I would like to be able to know what fraction by volume of mineral spirits I would add to the 606-55. I've had pretty good luck just winging it making 45-45-10, but it is possible if I tried to be more precise, I might get better result with Ben's Liquid Lube.

Something tells me I'm going to be trying to figure out a way to sell the remaining Alox 606-55 this summer. I would have to live to be 150 to use it all up.
    Back in the 70's and 80's during the early days of working as a mechanic in dealerships we used Alox as the undercoating for cars so you can always use it for a rust coating, thin it enough to brush on or spray. Could also use it as a coating for long term storage of tools, or anything metal, I'm sure it would work to coat fence posts before burying them, lots of uses for it.
    Be careful what you wish for!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 35 shooter View Post
    I tumble lube, then size before they dry. Then i give it 2 more coats letting it dry between coats for rifle shooting.
    It works out to about 3 coats, as it doesn't all come off in the sizer, but i'm only sizing down about a thou.

For handgun i lube, size, then 1 extra coat. Magnum loads might need the same amount as rifle.
    I guess I'm just lazy. For handguns (non magnum) I'm looking to get a process that involves only one coat. I know that officially you are supposed to lube boolits before putting them through a Lee sizer, but I've never leaded a Lee push through sizer without lubing so I'm not worried about that. I might try a size then single coat lube for 45 and 9mm and see what happens.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by benellinut View Post
    Back in the 70's and 80's during the early days of working as a mechanic in dealerships we used Alox as the undercoating for cars so you can always use it for a rust coating, thin it enough to brush on or spray. Could also use it as a coating for long term storage of tools, or anything metal, I'm sure it would work to coat fence posts before burying them, lots of uses for it.
    I'm pretty much aware of its original purpose but hoping to use some to make Ben's Liquid Lube.

I'm also hoping that it will warm up here in Tennessee so I can wash the salt off the vehicles before they rust.
    John
    W.TN

Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post

Ben has said BLL should pour like "coke from a bottle".
    I've only made BLL with the lee alox, but some bottles of alox were dryish compared to others, so i just added a bit of extra solvent after mixing the jlw and alox untill it "poured right" and dryed on the boolits over night.
    It worked just as well as using bottles of alox that were "more" liquid and didn't need the extra solvent.

Ssssoooo...lol, i'm no expert with an exact solvent percentage for you, but you might try mixing a small amount of what you have with the jlw as per Ben's formula....then just add a bit of solvent untill it pours freely and dries over night on the boolits.

I'm with 35 shooter.

Thin it till it pours like coke.

As for being lazy, does not get much easier than BLL.

I do not always size, but when I do I tumble the first light coat, then size, then lube again.

When it comes to precision, some things are worth the work. 2 or 3 light coats that are smooth and even are better than one coat which is thicker and may have a drool of lube on one side that could cause a wobble.

You can size them dry if you like, I have done so.

But it really is not that hard to count some drops of BLL onto 100 bullets in a container, swirl for 30 seconds, then size, then repeat the lube drops and swirl.

It is not "that" much more work.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm trying to source the ingredients to make a batch of this stuff. I have some LLA laying around I don't ever plan on using, so I'm set there. I'm trying to find the Lundmark wax Ben came up with for his alternate formula. Locally I've found some stuff, but the bottle looks different. The label seems to indicate it's the same product, was wondering if anyone knows for sure.

This stuff:

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 35 shooter View Post
    Ben has said BLL should pour like "coke from a bottle".
    I've only made BLL with the lee alox, but some bottles of alox were dryish compared to others, so i just added a bit of extra solvent after mixing the jlw and alox untill it "poured right" and dryed on the boolits over night.
    It worked just as well as using bottles of alox that were "more" liquid and didn't need the extra solvent.

Ssssoooo...lol, i'm no expert with an exact solvent percentage for you, but you might try mixing a small amount of what you have with the jlw as per Ben's formula....then just add a bit of solvent untill it pours freely and dries over night on the boolits.
    Exactly ! !
    Just keep adding a good solvent until it flows well.
    Keep it in an air tight container or you'll loose all your solvent and you'll be back where you started with a thick heavy liquid.

Ben

Boolit Grand Master
    jamesp81 :
    I'm trying to find the Lundmark wax Ben came up with for his alternate formula. Locally I've found some stuff, but the bottle looks different. The label seems to indicate it's the same product, was wondering if anyone knows for sure.

Boolit Master

I can live with "coke from a bottle" consistency. I must have missed that when I did my reading. I'll try that as soon as I get the liquid wax. Actually, I can mix the solvent and alox now and seal it up for when I am ready to mix.
    Thanks!
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Grand Master
    True...........

Page 66 of 70 FirstFirst ... 16565758596061626364656667686970 LastLast