Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Wideners
Repackbox
Page 2 of 70 FirstFirst 12345678910111252 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW ! ! T/L Liquid Lube

Boolit Master

NICE! a solution for people who want to store or ship bullets lubed with a soft lube.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    ...snip
    (1) Pour straight Lee Liquid Alox into a clean plastic Ketchup bottle and fill it to the 60% level.

(2) Now finish the bottle with the liquid Johnson's Paste Wax.
    ...snip
    Do you suppose if one were to mix this and rebottle, one should use a solvent safe bottle, like one marked "HDPE" ?

Have you noticed any swelling of your Ketchup bottle ?

I just want everyone to be safe here, I know it is necessary for "Ed's Red", and I see the Liquid JPW is in, what looks like, a steel can.
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master
    Way to go, Ben! Love it that you never stop helping us boolit guys out.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 35 shooter View Post
    I think Ben's LL or liquid lube has a nice ring to it for a name. Have you tried double coats with it after it's mixed with the lla? Just wondering if the liquid wax will still remove the prior coat after being mixed with lla?
    You never cease to amaze me with all the innovations and inventions you come with.
    Yes, I've double coated, it works just fine.

Thanks,

Ben

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Do you suppose if one were to mix this and rebottle, one should use a solvent safe bottle, like one marked "HDPE" ?

Have you noticed any swelling of your Ketchup bottle ?

I just want everyone to be safe here, I know it is necessary for "Ed's Red", and I see the Liquid JPW is in, what looks like, a steel can.
    Jon
    I bought the cheap Ketchup bottles at " Wallyworld ", I have no idea what type of plastic the bottles are made of. I have one bottle that has had the mixture in it now for over 2 years, it looks just like it did the day I poured the mix into it.

Ben

Ben, could you post a picture of the Johnson wax you are using. I did a search and got about 6 different hits for Johnson's Floor Wax. Thnx....

Oh and I have seen other forum talk about the now discontinued famous Rooster Jacket coating was a liquid floor wax of some kind, but nobody really knows exactly from what I've read. So you are on to something good I think.....

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wingnutt View Post
    Ben, could you post a picture of the Johnson wax you are using. I did a search and got about 6 different hits for Johnson's Floor Wax. Thnx....
    This photo was in post # 1, but here it is again..........

Woooops, sorry Ben my I had to change settings on my Droid to see the pics. Got it now.....

Couldn't be easier to make! Almost thinking of giving it a try as a case lube, just not sure how easy it would be to get it off the loaded rounds.
    If you live on the razor's edge and slip, you will die in two pieces

Boolit Grand Master
    Bullet lube....works great.

Case lube.....jury is still out on that concept.

Boolit Buddy
    Ben, you say you roll the Ben's Red lubed boolits in this new lube - that's obviously different from a tumble, do you just roll them on a damped sponge or something like that? Keen to try this to 'toughen up' the soft lube on boolits I ship out.

All these name suggestions... My 2... Ben's Shellac

Boolit Grand Master
    Take a flat bottom plastic bowl. Put in 50 ea. .30 . cal. Cast bullets. Put in 1 light squirt of the liquid lube. Roll them in the mix for 20 seconds. remove the bullets from the bowl and place them on wax paper to dry.

I stand mine up vertical. If lube runs down the sides of the bullets and collects around the base of the bullet, you've used way too much lube.

When you think you've got about the right amount on the bullets, you've probably used 2 X too much.

Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 11-14-2014 at 09:28 PM.

Thank you! Simple, effective, cost efficient. I am making some this week.

I made one attempt to make a lube, Ben's Red in fact. It involved heating. I was careful and to my knowledge didn't burn or scorch the The heating created an odor I didn't care for.

The SC Johnson & Lee Liquid Alox is the perfect solution for me.

Thank you,

MichiganMike

Boolit Buddy

I have been looking for a "better" LLAand this is worth a try.
    "Well Stanley, here's another nice mess you got me into!" Oliver Hardy

I'll be trying this out when I run out of the can of Johnson's paste wax and ALOX that I brewed up awhile back.

Have to shoot more to justify using it up.

Regarding the double lube efforts mentioned, I've applied it over standard lube & gas checks with .30 cal and .45 cal rifle bullets for years. I used to use thinned LLA, then moved to 45-45-10.
    I'll try Ben's easy recipe next, and don't know why it wouldn't work fine.
    Over kill? Yes, probably, but I never have any leading up to 2100 fps and retain very acceptable accuracy with hard alloys. Call it cheap insurance against leading.
    Salvaging old Marlins is not a pasttime...it's a passion

My 2 cents worth, Ben's LL....thanks for sharing your efforts....the info just keeps coming
    Slow Elk 45/70

Praise the Lord & Pass the Ammo

This may be just the ticket on my pb bore rider. in 35 whelen. The gas check version of the same boolit works just fine with Ben's Red, but i can't seem to get the pb much over 1400 fps. so far in my rifle without a bit of leading. If i could get a bit more out of the pb version, i probably wouldn't use the gc version much.
    I knew i was gonna try this with my pistol boolits as i just use alox on them anyway as there is no lube groove on them. Now i can't wait to try it on my pb rifle loads along with the Ben's Red! Got to find some liquid johnsons wax tommorrow...got a bit of alox left to mix it with.

Boolit Buddy
    I can't get the Johnsons One-Step No Buff in the UK, I can import it, but $35 for postage.

Looked around for something that might ape the protection duties of the thin acrylic layer. I found this, widely available in the UK and cheap. Claims to be the new, improved KLEAR

Rolled some freshly lubed boolits in some and let them dry an hour. They do feel nice to handle, the wax grooves feel much less sticky. Did a quick test of durability by rubbing an uncoated and coated boolit on a rag with the same pressure.

The un-coated boolit lost all the lube, where the coated one pretty much survived intact at the rubbing area.

While not as tough as Powder-Coat, this is perfect for my needs as far as protecting soft wax-lubes for shipping. Will need some range time to see if performance is changed one way or t'other.

Tried mixing some with Lee Liquid Alox just out of curiosity, but the mix separates back completely on standing.

Page 2 of 70 FirstFirst 12345678910111252 ... LastLast