Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 18 of 70 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272868 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW ! ! T/L Liquid Lube

Boolit Master
    im not shooting a rifle but a pistol.Its a 15 inch SSK 357max and the bore is as smooth as a babys ***.

when shooting a heavy alox coated Ranch Dog i get no leading and very good accuracy and it will break 2000fps.I do get some smoke when i shoot it and i do have to clean the boolit seating die from time to time because of the alox buildup.

i will have to look into the Ben's red too but the Bens LL seams to be so simple if it will work for me

Boolit Grand Master
    What is that old saying........" It either will or it won't ."

We'll see ?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysouth View Post
    Gas checks on the 30-06s?
    To jaysouth:

Yes, all of my 30 cal loads had gas checks.

Steve in N CA

Boolit Buddy
    Ben -
    Yes my alox is old indeed - at leave a few years - prolly closer to 7-8. Still liquid, though. Doesn't seem like it should have degraded if it is still liquid in the bottle. Heck it's the same stuff as Zbart rustproofing, right (See Ed Harris here http://yarchive.net/gun/long_term_storage.html) ? That's stuff is good for several years of Chicago winters on the chassis!

Pat

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outdoors View Post
    Ben -
    Yes my alox is old indeed - at leave a few years - prolly closer to 7-8. Still liquid, though. Doesn't seem like it should have degraded if it is still liquid in the bottle. Heck it's the same stuff as Zbart rustproofing, right (See Ed Harris here http://yarchive.net/gun/long_term_storage.html) ? That's stuff is good for several years of Chicago winters on the chassis!

Pat
    Once it is applied to your cast bullets, it may shoot just fine.........

Ben

Boolit Master
    i have over 1/2 gallon of alox so maybe i dont want to add anything to it.Just use straight alox

Boolit Grand Master
    Would work..........

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Yes, if BLL is put into a bowl with dried , old alox, you'll end up with a pretty good mess.

I guess I should have warned everyone about using a clean bowl to swirl you bullets when you're coating them with BLL.

Ben
    Yes, that was a nugget of information you left out . I used my original plastic coffee can that I had 45/45/10 in and it was clean by the time I got done. I just dumped out half the boolits that got coated and mixed the other half with new ones and kept it up until they looked good then used them. I know better next time
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master
    It is all a learning curve.
    Sounds like you've got a workable system now.

Best,
    Ben

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Ben, I have just finished firing my first cast boolit rifle reloads ever!! 30-'06 with 25 grns of SR-4759, 201 grn RNFP sized to .309" and gas checked, loaded to crimping groove for oal. Reason for this post is to tell you they were lubed only with BLL!!!!!!!! Nothing else. First 10 shot group was two shots high and right, then next eight shots into 1 1/4" with six of the eight in a ragged hole about a 1/2" in diameter!! Second group was 7 shots, 5 shots in a 1/2" or less, (one ragged hole) 2 flyers (I don't know what happened) Barrel only had black soot in it. can't say enough good things about BLL! Easy to make, and so far, it is the stuff!!!! Pistol bullets, that was a no-brainer! Rifle, well, so far so good!! Thank you for sharing this AMAZING discovery with the rest of us!! I'll post pics asap.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Grand Master
    Budzilla 19 :

That is great.
    I'd love to see your photos.

Best,
    Ben

Boolit Buddy

Tumble lubed a batch of fresh cast TLSWC430240's for my 44. Did the first coat, let dry overnight, used my tumble container that had a little extra still left over from last round that was a tad heavy and dried in a small puddle in the container). First coat came out fine, sized this morning and retumbled, still had a little liquid left from last night (I keep the container covered when not being used). Well, the second coat found all that old leftover that had dried and kinda.. sorta went back into solution. These are well coated, with a little extra lube sludge smattered here and there... LOL

Note to self.. refine process... wipe out any excess after tumbling.. don't be lazy..

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Yes, if BLL is put into a bowl with dried , old alox, you'll end up with a pretty good mess.

I guess I should have warned everyone about using a clean bowl to swirl you bullets when you're coating them with BLL.

Ben
    You must clean the tub before it dries if you plan to use it again water won't touch this stuff either I just use a paper towel and wipe out the tub it's ready for the next round
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Quote Originally Posted by SSGOldfart View Post
    You must clean the tub before it dries if you plan to use it again water won't touch this stuff either I just use a paper towel and wipe out the tub it's ready for the next round
    I was able to clean my bowl after the LL had dried with a dash of the Johnson's floor wax. Worked quite well.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    Buy yourself some Naptha solvent at the hardware store ( better than mineral spirits Dries very fast!). I have always used Naptha to dilute Alox anyway ( Dries very fast) It is one of the main ingredients in Our New Favorite Liquid Lube ..."BLL" (thanks to the solvent agent in The Johnson's Floor wax) A few drops of Naptha in your mixing tub and you can wipe it clean!

Yes I did fall into the BLL "build up trap" in my mix container early on! You got to keep it clean otherwise you are back to the just plain alox days of sticky boolits!
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Grand Master
    Very good advice.

Ben

I'm A Honcho!
    Mini report with my 44 mag srh.
    I tried some 200 gr rf loads coated with bens LL.
    6.5 grns of hp 38 and It shot really well and the barrel was spotless.
    I did not target shoot but chased a pop can around at 20 yrds.
    Lets just say after 2 wheels full there was not enough pop can left to use as a tooth pick!

Thanks for all your testing and sharing Ben!
    Wasalmonslayer

Banned

Alright, Ben, I can't stand it any longer. Bought the requisite Johnson's liquid wax at the Homeless Despot, rummaged around in the bottom of first one, then the other jumbo storage container of bullet lube ingredients and found three old bottles of LLA ("Gee, look at those two newer ones, they changed the top to a leaky design, typical 'improvement'"), got my stuff nuked to liquid, measured out, mixed up, got my Cool Whip container out (yep, I always wipe it out when using 45/45/10 or that reduced Nu-Finish/LLA/carnauba wax concoction), and lubed up a bunch of Lee .38 BN wadcutters that I've been meaning to try out (softer alloy). This stuff dries fast, is slick as snot, and "flattens" well like good enamel paint. After drying for about an hour I got 30 of them stuffed into some RP wadcutter brass and we'll see how the old Victory Model S&W likes them tomorrow.

Gear

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JWFilips View Post
    Buy yourself some Naptha solvent at the hardware store ( better than mineral spirits Dries very fast!). I have always used Naptha to dilute Alox anyway ( Dries very fast) It is one of the main ingredients in Our New Favorite Liquid Lube ..."BLL" (thanks to the solvent agent in The Johnson's Floor wax) A few drops of Naptha in your mixing tub and you can wipe it clean!

Yes I did fall into the BLL "build up trap" in my mix container early on! You got to keep it clean otherwise you are back to the just plain alox days of sticky boolits!
    Wouldnt a little of the mineral spirits I use to mix with nufinish in my tumbler work?
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Have mixed up a batch but have not had the time to try out ...
    looking forward to when I can , .. just caught a thread inquiring about "knurled" boolits ..with a lube .
    Just a thought tho and would a knurled boolit with this great lube of Ben's have a greater possibility of extended performance in a lengthy barrel/speed senario ?., or maybe not .
    Just blithering on here ..
    It is much easier to fool people ,
    than to convince them they have been fooled !

If you can read this , thank a teacher ...
    If you can read this in English , .. thank a Vet !

Page 18 of 70 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272868 ... LastLast