Load DataInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Repackbox
Page 17 of 70 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262767 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW ! ! T/L Liquid Lube

Boolit Master

Thanks again still working my way through my last cooked bottle of Lee Alox.
    Ruger RedHawk 357 Mag 44 Mag GP100 Davidson Exclusive 5" Security Six 2 3/4", Speed Six 4"
    Smith Wesson 629 PP and 686 PP, 617

Boolit Master
    RedHawk357Mag, I like your avatar. My .357 Mag. and .44 Mag.
    Lucky Joe
    "There's always a way."

Boolit Master

Beautiful guns 😃 mine are the 5.5s. Love them all.
    Ruger RedHawk 357 Mag 44 Mag GP100 Davidson Exclusive 5" Security Six 2 3/4", Speed Six 4"
    Smith Wesson 629 PP and 686 PP, 617

Banned
    Ben,

After my initial testing of your lube in my Marlin 357 mag I have done more shooting, as opposed to testing, with your lube in two more of my rifles and one revolver. I am past the testing phase because I am a believer. My original post was #205 on page 11.

The revolver was a S&W M28 and it had no problem with your lube. And I load them pretty stiff.

The other rifles were my M1903 in 30-06 and my 1902 vintage Marlin 1893, rebarrelled in the '40's for 30-30. Most of the loads were 16gr 2400/10gr Unique but more than a few were 27 gr of IMR 3031. No leading in anything. Bores were cleaned by a single dry patch followed by a single oiled patch.

I have been negligent in posting as my camera is out on vacation with my son. But accuracy was unchanged in all loads.

Hopefully tomorrow or the next day I will be able to get my chronograph outside for some velocity measurements. The weather on my days off has been cloudy and rainy, but of course sunny and clear when I am working.

Cast bullets used range from NOE 311041, Lyman 311291 and Lee C312-165 and Lee C312-185.

Thanks again for a great product.

Steve in N CA

Boolit Grand Master
    Steve in N CA,

That is wonderful news. Sounds like Ben's LL is working well for you.
    A few photos of some of your groups with the lube would be interesting for all of us to see when you have your camera and some time.

Many thanks,
    Ben

Boolit Man

I tried a water based floor wax with a great deal of failure, I believed "contains Carnauba wax". This thread is a Classic example of do it this way (like Follow the Directions), that famous military specification MIL-TFP-41C or you are looking at a real failure.

I won't bore you with further details. Our wood floors are finished with polyureathane varnish.

Boolit Grand Master

No leading using the LL with 38sp and 2.4gr Promo under a WC. This is good stuff and so easy to make I could do it and not mess it up

Attachment 131196
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Ben:
    Did not mean that as enough BLL to "cover" the bullets. I thought I used enough to coat them after I swirled them around, and was mistaken. I read that BLL goes a long way, but there's nothing like trying it. I needed a tenth of what I used. Your post told me that, but I am a slow learner....
    No knock on you or your post; this is just me learning that more isn't better. BTW, the bullets look great and I look forward to using them.
    Tony

Boolit Grand Master
    Tony,

It is like riding a bike, you have to do it a few times to get the " hang of it."

Ben

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    No leading using the LL with 38sp and 2.4gr Promo under a WC. This is good stuff and so easy to make I could do it and not mess it up

Attachment 131196
    WOW ! !
    It won't get much better than that !

Ben

Boolit Buddy
    Are you all getting a lot of residue as the lube sits?

I am getting quite a bit - maybe 15% at the bottom of the bottle. It resuspends if I shake it up a bit, but I wonder if my alox is too old or too thick. It was still liquid when I mixed up the batch.

Boolit Grand Master
    No, I definitely don't experience that.
    I've had some sitting for over a year now, no problems.

Wonder if yours was just old ? ?

Ben

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by sghart3578 View Post
    Ben,

After my initial testing of your lube in my Marlin 357 mag I have done more shooting, as opposed to testing, with your lube in two more of my rifles and one revolver. I am past the testing phase because I am a believer. My original post was #205 on page 11.

The revolver was a S&W M28 and it had no problem with your lube. And I load them pretty stiff.

The other rifles were my M1903 in 30-06 and my 1902 vintage Marlin 1893, rebarrelled in the '40's for 30-30. Most of the loads were 16gr 2400/10gr Unique but more than a few were 27 gr of IMR 3031. No leading in anything. Bores were cleaned by a single dry patch followed by a single oiled patch.

I have been negligent in posting as my camera is out on vacation with my son. But accuracy was unchanged in all loads.

Hopefully tomorrow or the next day I will be able to get my chronograph outside for some velocity measurements. The weather on my days off has been cloudy and rainy, but of course sunny and clear when I am working.

Cast bullets used range from NOE 311041, Lyman 311291 and Lee C312-165 and Lee C312-185.

Thanks again for a great product.

Steve in N CA
    Gas checks on the 30-06s?

Boolit Master
    im going to mix up some Bens lube and give it a try on my 190 grain Ranch Dogs out of my 357max.I have always water quenched all my boolits with straight wheel weight lead but i would like to try this Bens lube on some air cooled boolits just to see if i can get by with a softer boolit at 2000fps

what do you guys think?

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff223 View Post
    im going to mix up some Bens lube and give it a try on my 190 grain Ranch Dogs out of my 357max.I have always water quenched all my boolits with straight wheel weight lead but i would like to try this Bens lube on some air cooled boolits just to see if i can get by with a softer boolit at 2000fps

what do you guys think?
    ------------------

You've asked " what do you guys think? "

Personally, I think you are severely straining the limits of what I had initially planned Ben's Liquid Lube to be able to do . I had envisioned 700 fps - 1,300 fps with handguns. I never dreamed or hoped that it would work by itself at 2,000 fps. It does work well in conjunction with Ben's Red at those velocities and beyond.

With that said, try it and report back.

Ben

Boolit Master
    100% alox works great with no leading at 2000fps but i like the idea of the boolits drying faster and not being sticky.If it does not work out I could up the percentage of alox to around 80% and 20% Johnsons wax.that might do it?

the weather has to break before i can do anything.Very cold outside right now.

Boolit Grand Master
    Good Luck, Keep us posted.

Ben

Boolit Buddy
    So since the Johnson's liquid wax isn't available in Canada, I purchased 2 cans off Amazon.com. I figured 2 would make the shipping worth while. First thing is wow, the cans are much bigger than I thought! Being a Canuck who grew up with the metric system, I was unsure how big 22 fluid ounces was...I never really gave it much thought lol. So I mixed up a batch with 2 bottles of alox and a suitable amount of wax. Mixed real nice and is much thinner than I expected. So time to try it out! I took 50x 454651 boolits from my NOE mold that are checked and sized to .452" and pan lubed with 666-1 and put them in my container I use for tumbling with alox. About 1/2 a teaspoon of BLL and swirledc them for a minute or so. When I dumped them out on wax paper, let me tell you what a mess! My advice, do not use a container already well coated with many coats of alox! The BLL made a great solvent and I wound up with way too much sticky alox on my boolits. They are slowly drying and I will use them but the next time will be in a clean container.

Boolit Grand Master
    Yes, if BLL is put into a bowl with dried , old alox, you'll end up with a pretty good mess.

I guess I should have warned everyone about using a clean bowl to swirl you bullets when you're coating them with BLL.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by jeff223 View Post

what do you guys think?
    I've used straight alox double coated in my whelen before and ran it to 2400 fps. + before. Had no leading at all. Did the same thing with a double coat of jpw and had light leading after about 20 shots or so. What seemed to work best when i was trying all that was a double coat of alox and one coat of jpw...no leading and the bore was easy to clean with the added coat of jpw.

I went on to other lubes and eventually found Ben's Red which is all i use now, but the point of all that is, if you have a good boolit fit i think Ben's LL lube will probably make 2000 fps. in a rifle without leading....just a guess though....maybe double coat? If you try it i hope you report on it, cause i was thinking of trying the same thing myself just to see.
    I was tumbling in alox then tumbling again in jpw...Ben figured out how to get it all in one bottle. Pretty neat really!!

Page 17 of 70 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262767 ... LastLast