Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 16 of 70 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252666 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW ! ! T/L Liquid Lube

Boolit Master

"Rick's Mix"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	73.4 KB 
ID:	130657 Trying a new mix"Rick's Mix" for the lack of a better name. Take JPW and Johnsons 1 step. Mix apprx. 50/50 . The One step will dissolve the JPW . Use as TL. So far just test on 10 bullets. Will see drying time and need field work Drying time 20-30 min. Bullets are slicker than a used car saleman!

Anyone try it let me know the results. Colder than a witch's (you know what) in a brass bra here,so no field work for me.....
    Last edited by Shooter6br; 02-13-2015 at 02:16 PM.

Banned

I think a new thread on this, Rick's Mix, would make sense. That way the BLL thread would remain a BLL thread.

Boolit Master

OOPS My bad

Sorry just came into my mind while casting......Will delete
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails b6aa6d03d844d9394d14dbb2e375e4f0.1000x760x1.jpg  

I have a Star lube sizer with base heater and it is a royal pain.
    Adjusting the dies just right, warming it up,too cold and it takes extra pressure to size a boolit, too warm & lube oozes out till you get the heat set just right.
    Then you finally get it set right & you run out of lube. GRRRRR!
    What a pain!!!!

I have used mule snot before and really don't like messing with it.
    I diluted it with paint remover, turpentine, & mineral spirits.
    No matter how I did it the boolits would be sticky even when left in the sun for days.
    Then when I go to load them, I have to stop & clean my bullet seater die because of the buildup in it.
    To top that off, when I go to load my guns, the boolit tips have Alox on them & are a mess to deal with.

That is till last night, I was looking around and found a recipe by Ben using Johnson liquid wax & Alox.
    Figured by everyone's response in this thread that it would be worth a try.
    So I went & got the stuff & mixed a small batch & tumbled some rifle & pistol boolits and let them sit over night.
    OMG, just like everyone said, it dries hard, a coating you can't really tell is there, but you can feel it, and it won't be nearly as messy as what I've used before.
    I'M sold & will be using it from now on.
    A GIANT PAT ON THE BACK TO BEN FOR COMING UP WITH THIS & SHARING IT WITH US .

Boolit Buddy
    Believe it or not, I can not find Johnson's wax in any form locally. Do you order it?

Quote Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
    Believe it or not, I can not find Johnson's wax in any form locally. Do you order it?
    I found some at Home Depot, but you can get it from Amazon.com

I found a can at the local True Value store for $10

Boolit Buddy
    I had not thought of Amazon, thanks!

Boolit Buddy
    I got a can from Amazon for $11 about 3 months ago. That can will mix up enough lube for tens of thousands of boolits BTW.

Made my first Ben's Liquid Lube today, my first ever experience with tumble lube. Ordered Alox from LsStuff, and got the Johnson's from Lowe's. Followed Ben's 60/40 split, then put 50 pure lead Hornady 158 grain SWCs into a tupperware bowl and applied enough BLL to cover them as I understood the instructions. This wasn't much BLL. Swished around for a few seconds, and then added another fifty bullets. Swished around for a few seconds, and added 50 more bullets. Emptied the container, and added fifty more bullets and swished those around - they came out looking like I expected the first bunch to look. A little goes a long way with this stuff! Stood some bullets on their base to dry, and left others on their sides to see if it makes a difference. Think I'm going to like it....
    Tony
    Last edited by AnthonyB; 02-15-2015 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Clarity

Boolit Grand Master
    Tony,

Followed Ben's 60/40 split, then put 50 pure lead Hornady 158 grain SWCs into a tupperware bowl and applied enough BLL to cover them as I understood the instructions.

Not certain where you got the " cover the bullets with Ben's Liquid Lube " at , those comments are not in the instructions for use in the original post.

50 bullets will only need about 1/2 a teaspoon of lube, it GOES A LONG WAY.

If you have 50 bullets covered with the liquid lube, you've put them into about 400 times too much of the liquid lube .

If you stand the bullets on wax paper to dry and they have liquid lube at the base of the paper where it has run down the sides of the bullet, you also had the bullets in TOO MUCH OF THE BEN'S LIQUID LUBE.

Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 02-16-2015 at 10:28 AM.

Tomorrow I'm going to get some candle scent & add it to the mix.
    Just as an experiment.

Love Life
    I've been using this lube to coat my 150 gr SWCHP bullets. I like it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Good stuff, I'm going on my 3rd year of use with Ben's Liquid Lube.

I'm sold.

Ben

Banned

"I'm going on my 3rd year of use with Ben's Liquid Lube"

That bears acknowledgement. You experimented and created Ben's Liquid Lube over the course of two plus years and only then brought it out for our benefit. It was not fly by night. A couple attributes that I like are the easy integration of the Alox which many have sitting around, the ease of application, the comparative short dry time, lack of stickiness, the ability to coat bullets that have previously lubed or not, and the lack of smoke. The best feature is the performance, it flat-out works. I have been south of 2,000 fps on all mine. It is very much appreciated. Also, my opinion is to keep the R & D timeline in perspective when you want to change the formulation before you ever even try it or after a few weeks or months.

Boolit Grand Master
    jmort

I really do appreciate your kind and generous words.

I don't regret a minute of effort that I've put into the development of Ben's Liquid Lube.

Now people can enjoy an easy to mix liquid lube ( no heat or stirring ), with all the characteristics you've just mentioned. Shooters will have about $10 invested in the components and can quickly make enough liquid lube to lubricate many thousands of cast bullets. No fire hazard, no smell in the house ( good for marital harmony ), etc.

I especially like the idea of Ben's Liquid Lube being used by new novice bullet casters who don't have the $$$ to purchase a lube - sizer, top punches, sticks of bullet lube, sizing dies, etc.

By using Ben's Liquid Lube, young / new casters can use a 310 Lyman cast bullet sizing die, or they can obtain a Lee Push thru cast bullet sizer die and can begin shooting immediately without dropping a big chunk of change.

EVERYONE PLEASE ENJOY USING BEN'S LIQUID LUBE ! !

Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 02-16-2015 at 02:14 PM.

In Remembrance

To find either of the Johnson products needed here go to a Home Depot store and look in the home cleaning section. You`ll find both the liquid wax and the JPW sitting side by side.Robert

Boolit Master

I got three bottles of the Lee Alox that I intend to whip up using the Johnson one step but I also got a new bottle of White Labels premix xlox, wondering what would be the consensus of the forum in using White Labels version of the Alox. Thanks.
    Ruger RedHawk 357 Mag 44 Mag GP100 Davidson Exclusive 5" Security Six 2 3/4", Speed Six 4"
    Smith Wesson 629 PP and 686 PP, 617

Boolit Grand Master
    Most seem to think there is little to no difference in the products.

Boolit Master
    I've used both, tend to agree.
    Lucky Joe
    "There's always a way."