Thread: NEW ! ! T/L Liquid Lube

Boolit Master
    Manwithnoplan,

Question, was that your only lube? - Thanks
    Lucky Joe
    "There's always a way."

Banned

UPDATE with photos

Just got back from the range. I shot 75 rounds of 357 mag in my Marlin 1894CS microgroove and 40 rounds in my Marlin 336 Texan microgroove. All boolits were lubed with Ben's creation. No leading and outstanding accuracy. I will post photos of my 357 mag targets later tonight, for some reason my 30-30 target photos are missing from my camera.

Thanks Ben! Great innovation! Easy to use and it does the job. I love this country!

All three targets were fired at 25 yards at my local indoor range. A Marlin 1894CS in 357 mag. Skinner peep sights. The boolits were from my new NOE mold, a 360-180 WFN, plain-based with no gas checks. The boolits drop at .362" with WW alloy. I size them to .360" and tumble lube them with two coats of Ben's Lube. Loaded in run of the mill, untrimmed range brass, Winchester small pistol primers. All of my pistol rounds are loaded on a Lee Classic Turret press. Who says Lee can't make accurate ammo? The third target with A #9 powder was almost all in the same hole. The circled round was a flyer that I called to my son as soon as I let it go.

Attachment 127275Attachment 127273Attachment 127274J
    Last edited by sghart3578; 01-12-2015 at 07:55 PM. Reason: photos added

Boolit Grand Master
    Things are getting better and better , as the clock ticks.

Looking forward to seeing pics of your target(s).

Ben

Banned
    bump for update

Boolit Grand Master
    sghart3578

That is very impressive.

Take a cotton patch ( no solvent - no oil ), push it in and out of your bore a couple of times and tell us what you see inside the barrel.

Ben

Banned
    Ben,

I used a dry patch and all I got was some powder residue. No lead flaking. In fact, the barrel looks so clean I may not clean it tonight which is unheard of for me.

On my next batch of rounds I am going to bump the muzzle velocity up to about 1500 fps and test the results.

Attachment 127303
    Last edited by sghart3578; 01-12-2015 at 10:58 PM.

Ben I had loaded some .357 mag loads for my neighbor, after the trip to the range I ran a clean patch through the bore. Nothing but powder residue, no leading at all, bore shiny as heck. Exactly as you would want it.

That was single coat but I dry mine nose down on a foam block that I used a dremel and a bullet shaped stone to make holes in.
    My best block will hold 150 boolits in nice neat rows.

I will be doing further testing hopefully soon. Waiting on H&R factory to fit and return barrels.

Boolit Grand Master
    sghart3578

When you fire these loads, obviously there are layers of wax left in the bore. Ben's Liquid lube on bare metal is an excellent rust preventative.

If the barrel is as clean as you describe, there is no need to do anything to the barrel after firing.

I clean the outside of mine and put them away. I have an 8 X 57 mm Scout rifle that I use this lube in and it has had nothing but dry white cotton patches through the barrel with no oil or solvent for 7 or 8 trips to the range. Still a mirror smooth bore.

I am going to bump the muzzle velocity up to about 1500 fps and test the results.

You may be about to reach the ceiling of all our happiness with Ben's Liquid Lube.............. ? ? ?

Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 01-13-2015 at 12:34 AM.

Boolit Master

In two days I'm going to do my final testing I've ordered a Ruger LCR 38spl+P only rounds I'm going to use in this gun will be lube with Ben' TLL.
    Last edited by SSGOldfart; 01-13-2015 at 12:38 AM. Reason: fat fingers
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SSGOldfart View Post
    In two days I'm going to do my final testing I've ordered a tiger LCR in 38spl+P only rounds I'm going to use in this gun will be lube with Ben' TLL.
    Keep us posted.

Ben

Perma-Banned

I have shot another 150rds lubed only with this new lube and it is working great. Bring the guns in, run a patch down them to clear the powder residue and they shine like new money. Now, understand, that my bigbore rounds are limited to less than 1100fps and my chrono'ed .357's on this last batch were a max of 1223fps...but it worked very well as the only lube they got.
    Last edited by shoot-n-lead; 01-13-2015 at 01:26 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Ben - thanks for your effort in developing this!
    I mixed up a batch over the weekend - it's easier than pie!
    I did a small batch of boolits, but used way too much BTL. The boolits were tacky, but no worse than LLA, and the coating was lighter and far more even than LLA. I did a corrective TL with just the floor wax, and now they are more evenly covered, with a slightly waxy feel. Hoping to get to the range to try them out, but it'll likely be a few weekends before I have the free time.

Still a noob to cast shooting, but this is easier and less messy than LLA, and less effort than other formulations.

Pat

Boolit Master
    Tried mixing some up last night for the first time...this is really easy. I appreciated that there are virtually no odors at all, where the other 45/45/10 recipes always filled the room with odors from the heating of the LLA and paste wax. Will use it later this week with TL boolits. Thanks.
    I'm a Red Cross blood donor- are you? Make an appointment to donate today http://www.redcrossblood.org/make-donation
    http://www.redcrossblood.org/

FOR Disaster Relief DONATIONS-
    http://http://www.redcross.org/charitable-donations

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by oldcanadice View Post
    That's a help to me, too. Thanks.
    Same here I am using to much and that's were the tacky feel came from.
    Ruger LCR came in today,but I'm waiting for it to dry out and warms up a bit before the final testing
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master

Ben, mixed some up last night, very easy! Dipped some Lee tl38 wadcutters waaaaay too much lube, big puddles of lube on the wax paper, long time to dry. Recoated some 258312 that I got in a trade with old lube dried out. Put a few drops in tub swirled to coat. Dried fast and slippery.I'm truly amazed at how well the lube worked when I followed directions! Thanks Ben! I'll try to improve my reading skills! Tim

Boolit Master
    I'll be giving this a try next week. I just ran out of the last batch of 45/45/10 I had mixed up and picked up a bottle of the liquid wax at Home Depot this afternoon.

How hard has anyone pushed bullets lubed with only Ben's LL??

Boolit Grand Master
    wlc

When I made Ben's Liquid Lube , I used it for moderate type loads . It has continued to perform great in those applications with a large number of shooters.

What are the limits in rifle and revolver and pistol, I have no idea ?

Finding that limit was never my goal. I own two vehicles and I don't know to this day just how fast the two of them can go. I'm not much on blistering speed in any of my rifles, pistols, or revolvers.

If someone wants to venture off on that mission, that would be fine too.............
    Last edited by Ben; 01-18-2015 at 11:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RayinNH View Post
    Ben you state that you have used this on pistol boollits and get no leading. You also mentioned using it on rifle boolits that have received Ben's Red first. Have you tried it on rifle boolits without the B.R. and how does it work in regards to leading?
    When the 45/45/10 lube came out I made a slight variation of the lube by just leaving the MS out and not cooking down the JPW as much so that some of the solvents were still left in the wax. My lube doesn't stay a liquified as Ben's lube does but just a few minutes in hot water puts it back in a liquid state. Probably not necessary with Ben's lube as it's already in liquid form.

I use the lube on everything I shoot at velocities up to 1900 fps. so far with no leading with both plain base as well as gas check bullets. I also use the lube on all bullets regardless of the lube groove style with no issues.

One thing I have found very helpful is to warm your bullets either on a heating pad or in the sun in an old pie pan till there just warm to the touch but not hot. This make the lube coat the bullets very evenly and a little goes a long way. I generally coat my bullet once before and once after sizing and they have a nice hard finish that doesn't crud up the seating die for a very long time.

Thanks for the lube receipt Ben,I see they have the liquid JPW at my local Lowes and Home Depot stores for around $8,I will be trying your receipt as well.
    Last edited by res45; 01-19-2015 at 08:44 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    I do believe you'll like it.

Ben

Boolit Master
    Ben, I didn't mean to imply that I was planning on trying mach 4 or anything. I should have rephrased my question to indicate that I wondered how much over 2000fps will this lube hold up. I usually load only to moderate velocity (12-1600), but have one or two that I want to push up to 22-2500fps for various reasons and hope this new recipe will accommodate. Fine if it doesn't as the bullets I want to run faster can always be hand lubed with something else as I won't be shooting them by the bucket full. I really do appreciate you sharing your science experiments with us all.

Page 11 of 70 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202161 ... LastLast