Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackboxSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 10 of 70 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192060 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW ! ! T/L Liquid Lube

Boolit Grand Master

Try warming them up and adding some uncoated bullets to the container. I never put all of them in at once. Learned that lesson w/ 45/45/10. I keep adding until the desired coating is achieved.

Ben, could you post or pm me a photo of the actual application of the lube. Boolits in a bowl with the lube applied.

Thanks

Boolit Grand Master
    trixter

If you'll do this, you won't need any photos.

Put 50 rifle or 50 pistol cast bullets in a margarine tub.

Put in 1.0 - 1.5 tablespoons of Ben's Liquid Lube. You'll have to experiment a bit on the exact quantity.

Swirl the bullets and Ben's Liquid Lube slowly , round and round, in the tub for about 20 - 25 seconds. This should give the bullets a good lube coating all over their outside surface area.

Once this is completed, I stand mine on their bases on wax paper. I use a pair of long nose micro small needle nose pliers. This keeps my hands clean.

If you see lube accumulating around the bases of the bullets after they have been placed on the wax paper, you've used too much lube and will need to reduce the quantity of lube you pour onto the bullets the next time.

Notice in the photo below that you DON'T see lube accumulating around the base of the bullet.

This is what they should look like when you're finished ( of course these .30 cal 311440 cast bullets have already been sized .311 and lubed with Ben's Red and a g/c installed prior to being rolled in Ben's Liquid Lube ) :

Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 01-01-2015 at 12:51 AM.

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    trixter

If you'll do this, you won't need any photos.

Put 50 rifle or 50 pistol cast bullets in a margarine tub.

Put in 1.0 - 1.5 tablespoons of Ben's Liquid Lube. You'll have to experiment a bit on the exact quantity.

Swirl the bullets and Ben's Liquid Lube slowly , round and round, in the tub for about 20 - 25 seconds. This should give the bullets a good lube coating all over their outside surface area.

Once this is completed, I stand mine on their bases on wax paper. I use a pair of long nose micro small needle nose pliers. This keeps my hands clean.

If you see lube accumulating around the bases of the bullets, you've used too much lube. Notice in the photo below that you DON'T see lube accumulating around the base of the bullet.

This is what they should look like when you're finished :

Ben
    Those must be foulers, they're not up to your usual standards Ben.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Just some I grabbed when I was 1st experimenting with Ben's Liquid Lube.

There are a few light wrinkles in those that I usually weed out . Seems like I gave those to a young shooter who wanted to try a few .30 cal. cast bullets in his rifle ?

Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 01-01-2015 at 12:50 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Ben, could you post or pm me a photo of the actual application of the lube. Boolits in a bowl with the lube applied.

Trixter, this is for you. Done with a cell phone , so please excuse the video quality, but hopefully it will communicate the intent of things.

The bullets are IDEAL 323471, 8 mm that have already had the g/c installed , sized to .325" and lubed with Ben's Red.

Thanks,
    Ben

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0bf...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by Ben; 01-01-2015 at 02:37 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    That's a help to me, too. Thanks.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post

Trixter, this is for you. Done with a cell phone , so please excuse the video quality, but hopefully it will communicate the intent of things.

The bullets are IDEAL 323471, 8 mm that have already had the g/c installed , sized to .325" and lubed with Ben's Red.

Thanks,
    Ben

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0bf...ature=youtu.be
    Wow Ben your High Tech Now! I don't have a cell phone, myself, but I think Holding it horizontal makes for a better movie! Especially with those BIG boolits!

We want to see more tutorials!!! You know I will be watching
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    Ben,
    Just out of curiosity: I pan lube with Ben's Red so using a Kake Cutter does not give me a totally clean boolit like if it was run up into a lubesizer.
    Do you see any detriment to using "BLL" before pan lubing with "Ben's Red" I have done this before with plain LLA, before pan lubing & never seen a problem. Was able to get my bore riding boolit noses slick & still have your Pan lube stick well.
    Next time out I'm going to give the "BLL" under the"Ben's Red" a try!
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Grand Master
    Ben,
    Just out of curiosity: I pan lube with Ben's Red so using a Kake Cutter does not give me a totally clean boolit like if it was run up into a lubesizer.
    Do you see any detriment to using "BLL" before pan lubing with "Ben's Red" I have done this before with plain LLA, before pan lubing & never seen a problem. Was able to get my bore riding boolit noses slick & still have your Pan lube stick well.
    Next time out I'm going to give the "BLL" under the"Ben's Red" a try!

-------------------------------------

I can't say, I always use the liquid lube last.
    I know that works.

However your system may work just as well ?

Boolit Master
    One thing that has me wondering, and I'm sure this has been addressed before, does the tumble lube, being LLA, 45-45-10 or BLL rub off the bullet inside the case when seated?
    Last edited by ubetcha; 01-03-2015 at 02:08 PM.
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US

Boolit Grand Master
    I feel there is the potential for both lubes to be displaced during seating.

Ben

Boolit Buddy
    I "created" a batch yesterday to try out (my local Lowe's had LOTS of bottles of the liquid wax in stock):

Thanks Ben. Glad to finally find a way of "what to do" with those left-over Lee bottles full of lubricant I am not using (I use the Delux 45-45-10 formula).

Will

Boolit Grand Master
    Will,

Give us a range report soon.

Best to you,

Ben

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Ben, I just have one question concerning the 60/40 ratio of the "ketchup" bottle.60/40 alox/wax regardless of the size of the container? By the way, I made this today (I think the ratio was right) and all I can say is, "WOW"!!!I won't be wasting my time on anything else for pistol bullet lube for sure!! EASY is the word for this!!! Dries fast, slick feel to bullets,and should work for all the calibers I load for. Thank you for the great idea!!! (you are right this IS addicting!!) Shot some today, barrel of my Python is clean after 36 rounds. Any misses on 25 yard plates was the shooter's fault. Again, thanks for the great idea.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Grand Master
    Budzilla 19

If the container is 2 oz. in size or 10 gallons in size , The ratio of the mix for Ben's Liquid Lube is still 60% Liquid Alox and 40% Liquid Johnson's Wax.

Size of the container makers no difference.

Ben,

Second report on your liquid lube ( I refer to it as BL-T). I loaded 40 rounds of .25/35 for my Winchester M64 Carbine. This rifle has never had a cast round through it until today. It has not been fired much, but carried and ridden around a lot. I cleaned the bore this morning and then loaded 40 rounds of ammunition.

The load

R-P 1x .30/30 brass run through a Lee full length sizing to form to .25/35
    Old Western domed LR primers
    8.5 grains SR4759 (measured with old Lee dipper)
    Lyman 257312 GC cast from bullet trap scrap, .258 as cast 89 grains, lubed with a single coat of your lube.
    I loaded them as cast, lightly crimped in the top lube grove. Below is "before"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
    Last edited by MattOrgan; 01-06-2015 at 07:02 PM.

Oops, I don't know how to fix the upside down photo. Below is the after. I had some strange things when testing this. One was unburned powder on the snow at the muzzle. I haven't shot since our last snow yesterday and the snow in front of my bench looked like I had been shooting my .300 Weatherby. I've never had 4759 do this before. There was unburnt power laying in the bore too. Very unusual. Second, even though Lyman estimates this load to achieve over 1400 fps
    about 50% of the case shoulders were heavily sooted, but the POI did not seem to change. Firing was done at 50 yards from a rest, 7-10 mph shifting winds, 20 degrees. The after: I can't seem to add more than one photo at a time. This photo shows the last 20 rounds fired into one group. Should've stopped at the first 10!
    Last edited by MattOrgan; 01-06-2015 at 07:03 PM.

All three groups top is ten rounds, bottom is ten rounds, one one the left is 20 as stated before. The bore after 40 rounds was VERY bright with NO leading. Amazing with a coated bullet and NO gas check. I did this as a lark. Before my results with anything under .30 caliber has been very poor. I was thrilled with this. I went back into the shop and trimmed and annealed my cases and loaded them again. I'll re-shoot tomorrow without cleaning the rifle. I think things will be better yet. Amazing, this lube is making me re- think velocity limits with tumble lube. Thanks again.
    Last edited by MattOrgan; 01-06-2015 at 07:01 PM.

Bad photo of the other groups. This should be better. Just like with my .30/30 test this lube seems to take a number of rounds to condition the bore. Good stuff.
    Last edited by MattOrgan; 01-06-2015 at 07:33 PM.

Page 10 of 70 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192060 ... LastLast