WidenersInline FabricationRepackboxLoad Data
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
PBcastco MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 62 of 70 FirstFirst ... 1252535455565758596061626364656667686970 LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,240 of 1386

Thread: NEW ! ! T/L Liquid Lube

Quote Originally Posted by TexasGrunt View Post
    I've been playing with the Lundsford and can't seem to get it to work at all. Lube won't dry, even with three coats severe leading, none with Hi-Tek on same boolit in same gun. I'm wondering if it's a solvent problem.

There's mineral spirits, then there's mineral spirits. That white milky odorless stuff that most places sell as mineral spirits is not mineral spirits that I remember from 20 years ago.
    Are you following the exact ratio of 35 wax, 30 xlox, and 35 mineral spirits?

Mine dries in a few hours using kleenstrip clear mineral spirits sold at walmart

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ikarus1 View Post

Mine dries in a few hours using kleenstrip clear mineral spirits sold at walmart
    Hmm...Never seen that ratio. I was following a different formula. I'll have to give that a try. Thanks.

Is that by volume or weight?
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

where rocks are shot at & milk jugs, too...

Ben posted a link on post #37 of this thread;

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...be-Ever!/page2

I made up this formula he posted on 12/25/2016 ( post #12) on the thread I made reference to that is also shown again on an earlier post on this thread;

https://ibb.co/h7UZtF

Ben posted on Sept. 25th, 2016 on the thread at that site a formula of;

30% Lundmark liq. wax
    30% Xlox
    40% solvent ( mineral spirits )

So it would appear there was an earlier formula and then a revised formula that was posted here and there as well, and I'm sure someone will correct me on this if I'm wrong.

*NOTE* - do NOT buy the Klean Strip "Green-odorless" MS in the plastic bottle as it is different than the Klean Strip in the metal can and is a milky substance. I bought it by accident so I tried a small amount to compare with the clear liquid in the can, and it does not mix as well, and having not read the MSDS on it I suspect it has additives that won't work for our purposes, so I'll find other uses for the "Green" stuff in the plastic bottle around the house. JFYI.
    “Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."

Winston S. Churchill

Boolit Master

I've been trying the 30-30-40.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasGrunt View Post
    I've been trying the 30-30-40.
    I'm guessing that both formulas work well, Ben tests everything long before he posts it and makes the formula available, so I'd be surprised if either formula used didn't work well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."

Winston S. Churchill

Banned

^^^ this is true

Its so thin with the 35 lundmark, 30 xlox, 35 ms, so not sure why you want more mineral spirits. Lundmark is thinner than the JLW was my understanding

Boolit Grand Master
    Other way around..........

Lundmark ( at least the Qt. that I purchased ) was considerably thicker than the JLW.

Ben

Its so thin with the 35 lundmark, 30 xlox, 35 ms, so not sure why you want more mineral spirits. Lundmark is thinner than the JLW was my understanding
    I've made both the original Johnson One Step/LLA formula and 35-30-35 Lundmark recipes in the past week to compare, and they are very similar in consistency, much like the viscosity of pouring Coca-Cola like Ben has said before. I've been busy casting and preparing for Hi-Tek, so I'll post about my shooting results with BLL using the same loads to compare the two formulas when time allows.

One step I'll also be adding and mentioned here earlier will be to take coated and dry boolits and tumble again in a light coat of mica, as friends have tested and I've shot loads that have worked well with that step which was originally designed to eliminate stickiness that actually improves accuracy with some load combinations, and used by others I know with thinned LLA, (sometimes thinned) 45-45-10, and BLL#1 mixed 50/50, as well as other variations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Winston S. Churchill

Boolit Master
    What is an alternative to Johnson liquid wax and ludmark. Is Scott's liquid gold a decent substitute? I'm trying to find something locally. As Johnsons isn't made anymore and I can't find ludmark. I'm in Lowes and the only thing I can find is Scott's liquid gold will that work
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

NEW ! ! T/L Liquid Lube

Lundmark is the only alternative I've seen so far, do you have any Ace Hardware or Tru-Value hardware stores nearby? I've found it available from both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Winston S. Churchill

Boolit Master
    Well I've found libman Polish but still no ludmark. Hey if any has a bottle handy maybe you could list the ingredients. That way I could compare. That's if they are even listed on the bottle.

Banned

http://www.lundmarkwax.com/6-2-15_SD...0Wax%20LVP.pdf
    hemical Name CAS No. Weight-% Trade SecretDistillates (petroleum), hydrotreated light 64742-47-8 60-100 *Paraffin Wax 140 8002-74-2 1-5 *Carnauba Wax #1 8015-86-9 1-5 *Esters of montan acids Proprietary 1-5 **The exact percentage (concentration) of composition has been withheld as a trade secret.

Boolit Master
    Well thank for all your help folks. I'll keep looking. I'll be sure to let everyone know how I make out.

Boolit Master
    Well I found Ace Hardware about 4 miles away from me they're close now I'll have to try them tomorrow

Boolit Mold
    Ace Hardware in Santa Cruz, CA had the Lundmark Liquid Wax. Unfortunately, mineral spirits and thinner seem to be outlawed here. I had to use Zippo lighter fluid, instead, or buy a half gallon of Coleman camp-stove fuel, basically the same stuff. I have a lot of turpentine; but that probably takes a long time to evaporate.
    Hammerhead Supply claims to have Johnson one step for $9, but after making a purchase almost two weeks ago, not a peep about delivery. I may have been snookered.

Boolit Master

Zippo lighter fluid is Naptha. No reason it won't work.

Boolit Master
    OK so I mixed up my first batch of Ben's liquid lube ll. 35%,35%, 30% (lundmark), ( mineral spirits ), (alox). My problem is this mix is way thin! Like water! It runs right off the bullets can't see how it's coding anything. How do I thicken it add more alox?

Boolit Grand Master
    The problem is the Alox and Lundmark vary so much as to viscosity , can - can - can. The age of the mixture has a lot to do with the viscosity of the mixture.

Add some Alox, shake well and try to re-coat your bullets.

Ben

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    The problem is the Alox and Lundmark vary so much as to viscosity , can - can - can. The age of the mixture has a lot to do with the viscosity of the mixture.

Add some Alox, shake well and try to re-coat your bullets.

Ben

Thanks Ben

Page 62 of 70 FirstFirst ... 1252535455565758596061626364656667686970 LastLast