RepackboxWidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
PBcastcoInline FabricationReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 70 123456789101151 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW ! ! T/L Liquid Lube

Boolit Grand Master

NEW ! ! Ben's Liquid Lube

I have used LAR's 45/45/10 with great success, certainly nothing wrong with the lube.

About 2 yrs. ago, I decided to venture off on my on with a similar lube. I picked up a can of liquid Johnson's Wax. After reading the instructions, it stated that each added coat dissolved the earlier coats.

I thought ..." UUUmmm, this has to have a high % of solvents mixed in with the wax."

As we all know, after Lee liquid alox sits in the bottle for some time it thickens to the point of needing some type of " thinner " added to it. Seems the most commonly used substance for this is mineral spirits. Fine for thinning, but it has ZERO lube properties. I felt the Lee Liquid Alox could be thinned and improved, all in one move.

I decided to try the liquid Johnson's Wax as the thinner. I've used this mixture of alox and liquid wax on pistol bullets, both T/L design and conventional designed pistol bullets with zero leading.

I shoot a lot of bore riding .30 cal. cast bullets. Most in the 1,700 - 1,900 fps speed zone. I size & lube these with Ben's Red, then roll them in the lube I've described. The coating is thinner and tougher than conventional Lee Liquid Alox. It dries much quicker , ( 2 X - 3 X quicker ). The cast bullets don't have " Brown Globs " on them like you'll get with Lee Liquid Alox straight from the bottle. It leaves a slick, super hard , satin coating on the bullets. Once the coating is dry, the bullets don't stick to each other or your fingers.

For 2 years now, I've had nothing but excellent results using this method. I thought it was time to share this technique with all of you. It is time for the mixture to have a name. We'll name it - - Ben's Liquid Lube ( Ben's LL )

It is so simple, a 3rd grader can make this stuff, here are the steps :

(1) Pour straight Lee Liquid Alox into a clean plastic Ketchup bottle and fill it to the 60% level.

(2) Now finish filling the bottle with the liquid Johnson's Paste Wax.

(3) Shake well for 60 seconds, prior to using at a later date, shake well for another 10 seconds or so.

No heating, no stirring over heat, none of that...real simple and it WORKS ! !

Here are some photos

It takes a VERY SMALL amount in the bottom of a plastic bowl with your cast bullets. A VERY SMALL AMOUNT goes a long way. Slowly swirl your cast bullets in a circular motion in the bottom of the bowl with Ben's Liquid Lube for about 15 seconds, put them out on wax paper to dry. They will dry quickly, much quicker than liquid alox alone.

Last edited by Ben; 01-10-2016 at 11:24 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Finally! Something to do with this gallon of Alox! Thanks Ben!
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Grand Master
    Try it, I'll bet you like it !

Ben

Banned

I have been doing something similar. I have been using Liquid Glass. I got the idea from you about tumbling them after sizing and lubing with conventional lube. It really really helps on my rifles with less than perfect barrels. With long bore riders, I feel it gives the bore rider a little bit of lube run better.

Boolit Grand Master
    Can't see the pics for some reason. Will have to try the mix. I have been coating most of my boolits with thinned LLA , then letting dry for a couple of days.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    I have been doing something similar. I have been using Liquid Glass. I got the idea from you about tumbling them after sizing and lubing with conventional lube. It really really helps on my rifles with less than perfect barrels. With long bore riders, I feel it gives the bore rider a little bit of lube run better.
    Glad it is working well for you.

Ben

I'll be trying this later today.
    If you live on the razor's edge and slip, you will die in two pieces

Boolit Master
    I had never seen that type of Johnson's wax, probably because I never thought to look. Thanks for the tip. I am almost out of my can of paste wax that I sort of make 45/45/10 with(I don't cook it). This looks even easier.

Ben, What do you call your new tumble lube mix?

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Yodogsandman View Post
    Ben, What do you call your new tumble lube mix?

Yodogsandman :

What about Ben's L L ?

( Ben's Liquid Lube )
    Last edited by Ben; 11-13-2014 at 07:18 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Here are some Accurate ,270 gr. , 38/55 bullets that have been rolled in the mixture :

I vote Ben's Brown

Boolit Master

Ben you state that you have used this on pistol boollits and get no leading. You also mentioned using it on rifle boolits that have received Ben's Red first. Have you tried it on rifle boolits without the B.R. and how does it work in regards to leading?
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Boolit Grand Master
    RayinNH

Maybe I just don't know what I'm talking about, but shooting a rifle bullet (I don't have any tumble lube designed rifle bullets ) 1,700 - 1,900 fps with this lube just doesn't seem so very promising to me ? ?

No, I have no experience to report on your specifics.

Sorry,
    Ben

Boolit Master
    I may have to try this out. I haven't tried the 45/45/10 cause I didn't want to cook it. This appears pretty easy!
    “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”― Ralph Waldo Emerson

Banned

Have you ever used it as a stand alone lube?

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmortimer View Post
    Have you ever used it as a stand alone lube?
    Yes as a stand alone on T/L design 38/357 pistol bullets. I have about 4 different styles.

Keep in mind that all these were shot at 800 - 1,000 fps.

Works great on all of them.

Ben

I'll be trying this on my handgun boolits soon. Thanks Ben! Sounds very quick and easy.

As far as my rifle loads from mild to wild i just use Ben's Red straight...no problems...clean bores...love it!

Boolit Grand Master
    35 shooter

As to Ben's Red, you KNOW how I feel about that lube !

This new liquid lube offers my .30 cal. " nose riders " that bit of extra lubrication. It is possible that it is wasted effort. Maybe unnecessary. However, I've shot some pretty nice groups with the " paired lube system" and my bores in 7 mm, .30 cal, 8 mm, 338, and .35 cal are mirror bright after 50 rounds.

It is also very useful with Lee T/L designs regardless of caliber.

Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 11-14-2014 at 09:42 AM.

I think Ben's LL or liquid lube has a nice ring to it for a name. Have you tried double coats with it after it's mixed with the lla? Just wondering if the liquid wax will still remove the prior coat after being mixed with lla?
    You never cease to amaze me with all the innovations and inventions you come with.

Page 1 of 70 123456789101151 ... LastLast