Snyders JerkyWidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 42 of 70 FirstFirst ... 323334353637383940414243444546474849505152 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW ! ! T/L Liquid Lube

Boolit Master

It depends on how much they vent.
    Disclaimer: Reloading and casting I only look at cents/round and ignore any other costs

Boolit Master
    I have enough of a BLL build up on the tip of the bottle that I think it seals when I cap it with the little red top
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US

Boolit Master

Shot a bit of .38 and .357 and have to admit it wasn't so smokey like alox based lube usually is. It still has some smoke but it's the most minimal of any I've seen so far. These were cast with Roto's Lyman #2 mix and no gas checks and I loaded the .38's as hot as load data listed with Unique and Titegroup and the .357's were the same powders as hot as they listed. I should have loaded some up with some AA #9 or something else to push them harder but I wanted to be sure the rest would shoot fine first. No leading but still not as clean shooting as a Hi-Tech or PC'ed bullet but this is so quick and easy.

Also, that max listed load of Titegroup sure is close to a clone of the old .38-44 loading. Lots of gusto without the wrist busting.
    Disclaimer: Reloading and casting I only look at cents/round and ignore any other costs

Banned

I have requested that this be made a Sticky. Long overdue. I expect it will be so. This is a great advancement.

Banned

Done.
    Ben:
    if you read this would you also post a link to your Red and Blue recipe threads. [in the O.P.]
    if you'd like we can change the title to reflect that the other recipes are linked here.
    or you could post your other recipes in/on the front page.
    either way let me know.

Banned

Bless you

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    Done.
    Ben:
    if you read this would you also post a link to your Red and Blue recipe threads. [in the O.P.]
    if you'd like we can change the title to reflect that the other recipes are linked here.
    or you could post your other recipes in/on the front page.
    either way let me know.
    The link for making Ben's Red is at the bottom of the page in the OP.

Thanks,
    Ben

My brother in Colorado did a little cold weather shooting just to test a load he worked up in warmer weather with Ben's Red and BLL lube.

noe 230 gr. fngc boolit
    52 gr. aa4350 powder
    Ben's Red lube with an overcoat of BLL
    H&R 35 whelen
    This load averages less than an inch @ 100 yds. for him.

8,200 ft. alt. at about 20* temp.
    cold barrel with 1 dry patch run through before shooting.
    5 shots @ 100 yds. 1.258" group with the first 2 cutting. Poi. was right where he left it on his last range trip.

He said the cold was affecting his hands(frozen) not the lube.
    Ben's Red and BLL is doing well in the Colorado mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by 35 shooter View Post
    My brother in Colorado did a little cold weather shooting just to test a load he worked up in warmer weather with Ben's Red and BLL lube.

8,200 ft. alt. at about 20* temp.
    Sorry 35 shooter..... 20F is not a cold test. 20F is not even a cold test with a fully saturated gun and ammunition. (Gun and ammo out in testing temp 3 hours)

I have found most any good lube will usually do as well at 15F as warmer. If your cold start is one inch high at 60F, it will probably be the same at 15F.

When the mercury reads in minus numbers you are in a different world. Here a saturated test with 10 minutes between shots will separate a real cold lube from the wannabes!

ATF in your lube is a real 'squirrel' in below zero temps. It will drive you nuts!) It is good as a gun lube though. I have had no lock time problems even at -20 degrees below zero lubed with straight ATF. (again gun at that temp)

Red'N'Tacky has polybutene on board. (Hence the 'tacky'.)
    STP oil treatment has polybutene on board as well. Polybutene doesn't behave at below zero saturated tests either. Carnauba wax doesn't care much for minus temp readings either.....I'll let you in on a secret though. Polybutene and a few percent Castor Oil seem to 'bundle up' together for the cold and that union has tested good well below zero for me. (double digits)

Yep..... 20F will tell you nothing! Have your brother go out in double digits below zero with both gun and ammo out 3 hours before the first shot is fired. Then ten minutes between shots....This will separate the 'men from the boys'!!

Eutectic

Eutectic

I only WISH i could get my brother out to shoot on the kind of days your talking about.
    Maybe i can coax him into it before it's over lol. Or better yet get out there to visit him in that kind of weather and do it myself.

As far as Ben's Red in the cold, i've heard of at least 1 test at 0* and it was performing as usual...i've tested it to 105* with a heat index off the rictor scale. 15* is the lowest i've been able to shoot it here in MS.

I was glad to hear about this lube performing so well at his altitude just as it does here. 0* to 105* will run the gauntlet for 99% of my hunting and shooting and Ben's Red and BLL put the first shots from a cold bbl. dead in the group for me in that range.

I've followed some of your cold weather testing and it was very interesting. Lol you have a lot of "fortitude" to get out shooting in -double digits!
    I'll tell my brother about you...maybe i can motivate him into "getting out there."

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    I continue to get PM's asking if Ben's Liquid Lube can be used on conventional lube ring cast bullets.

The answer is YES !

Personally, I think it is at it's best with the T/L design, but I've shot it on conventional lube rings bullets with good results.

Ben
    I just confirmed it works very well on THESE:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151223_145003.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	158641
    This is MP's version of the hollow based 265 grain .455 Webley MKII bullet. Odd geometry going on in my case - they drop from the mold at .455, the chambers are long, the cylinder throats are (IIRC) .449, and the bore is (IIRC) .450. Just cranked off a test batch of hundred cast of 40-1 that were tumble-lubed only this afternoon with no leading. While it's probably going no more than 700 fps tops, the stepping down followed by the immediate step up has to test a lube to some degree.

The Webley lube grooves are skinny, and seem to grab this lube decently. I am starting to think that the Lovering / Ranch Dog pattern of lots of skinny conventional lube grooves may be a winner for BLL - if the bullet drops out of the mold close enough to usable diameter, why individually size each bullet if you don't have to. . .BUT that groove profile lets you lube-size if you need to.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Grand Master
    Yes, that certainly looks like a natural for BLL.
    A good marriage.
    I have a Lee Tumble lube 38/357 mold that throws very close to .358", I cast and then ( with zero sizing ) roll them in BLL. The next day, I load and shoot. They can shoot better than I can !

It won't get much easier than that.

Ben

Boolit Mold
    This is stupid, but how do you find 60 per cent of a bottle and where is the 100 per cent mark to complete the formula correctly. I can't seem to figure this out. I really want to make some of this. I just ordered a can of the wax from Amazon. I only needed one. They say they have 8 left. For those of you who may be interested. $14.09, shipped free.
    Last edited by wwIII; 01-20-2016 at 04:36 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wwIII View Post
    This is stupid, but how do you find 60 per cent of a bottle and where is the 100 per cent mark to complete the formula correctly. I can't seem to figure this out. I really want to make some of this. I just ordered a can of the wax from Amazon. I only needed one. They say they have 8 left. For those of you who may be interested. $14.09, shipped free.
    Get a measure, any measure. Use 6 parts of one ingredient and 4 part of the others. As long as you use one unit of measure for everything then It matters not what the measure is, you will always have a 60/40 ratio.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Boolit Grand Master
    UUmmm, that's simple enough !

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    UUmmm, that's simple enough !
    Hey Ben . ... going to try your BLL this weekend...been using the 45 45 10 system. Drying time is a you said! Been too cold here in South Dakota for an old guy me to get out. Will let you know the results . Thanks for your wisdom and creativeness .
    LRB605

Boolit Grand Master
    I wonder often just how much wisdom and creativeness I actually have. None the less, that is a nice comment you've made and I appreciate it.

Many thanks, enjoy the lube..........

Ben

WWIII truly sir it is not that fussy. I managed to transpose the ratio on my first batch. 60% one step and alox still worked fine. Especially once I learned to not use too much.

Thinner is in my opinion perhaps better for 2-3 thin coats vs 1-2 thicker ones.

You can add 2-3 % carnuaba wax to it also if you heat either the alox or the one step. Dry's really hard, not sticky. Gun bores seem to love it. I did it by figuring out how many grains per oz, then weighed the carnuaba on my powder scale. It was not very much.

My experience, if the boolit fits BLL works, although I think it helps not to push them as fast as you can. Although some have good luck with it fast.

Follow the recipe and if you have troubles Ben will try to help. Head off cross country and you are on your own.
    But by my experience, it still works.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    Get a measure, any measure. Use 6 parts of one ingredient and 4 part of the others. As long as you use one unit of measure for everything then It matters not what the measure is, you will always have a 60/40 ratio.
    Thanks, btroj. That's what I was thinking, but just didn't want to screw this up. I appreciate your answer!

Boolit Mold
    Ben..LRB605 from South Dakota. Went fishing oops I mean went shooting today. BLL performed great very minimal lead in the barrel . A keeper for sure! Gotta get back to my hardware store to get the other can of jlpw. Thanks again.

Page 42 of 70 FirstFirst ... 323334353637383940414243444546474849505152 ... LastLast