Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 28 of 70 FirstFirst ... 181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW ! ! T/L Liquid Lube

Range report:

I'd be the first to admit that I may have asked too much of BLL in the load I list above, except that it seems to have risen to the occasion! I fired 20 of the loads as described in my post above, no leading. Only thing I cleaned out was some nasty powder fouling. Accuracy was nothing to write home about, but I also have nothing to compare it to. This is the first time this rifle has spoken in my life time, and BLL helped make it possible. Thank you, Ben.
    "It is wrong always, everywhere, and for everyone to believe anything on insufficient evidence."
    -W. K. Clifford "The Ethics of Belief"

"They hate you if you're clever, and they despise a fool."
    -John Lennon "A Working Class Hero"

Boolit Grand Master
    You're very welcome.
    Enjoy the lube.

Ben

Boolit Bub
    Finally got to actually shoot my first cast boolits and I used this lube recipe and had good luck so far. Used on .357s in a 4" and 8" S&W and some .45-70s in a 34" sharps. Didn't have any leading and accuracy was good so far, just need to dial the loads in. Thanks for the good lube recipe Ben

Boolit Master

had anyone run this in 44 mag with moderate to hot loads yet?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by sawzall View Post
    I've found it works great on Lee 356-95-RF over 4.2gr. of 700x fired from my 18.6" Beretta CX4 carbine. Not a spec of leading in the bore, just nice and shiny with a bit of powder fouling...very little bit. I have no idea how fast it's going, but that's a pretty long barrel. Accuracy is excellent, picked off some gophers with it to great effect! I've tumbled up some Lee 356-120-TC and loaded them over 4.4gr of 4756 but have not tried them out yet due to the weather. I hope they work as well.
    Well the Lee 356-120-TC over 4.4gr of 4756 was a bust. Leaded the first 4" of barrel really bad with 20 rounds. Still scrubbing the lead out. Not blaming the lube at this point as it's an untested load in anything. And it is a fairly warm load. I can't remember if I water dropped the boolits when I cast them or not. I would imagine if the lube was failing, it would lead further down the barrel, not just past the throat.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sawzall View Post
    Well the Lee 356-120-TC over 4.4gr of 4756 was a bust. Leaded the first 4" of barrel really bad with 20 rounds. Still scrubbing the lead out. Not blaming the lube at this point as it's an untested load in anything. And it is a fairly warm load. I can't remember if I water dropped the boolits when I cast them or not. I would imagine if the lube was failing, it would lead further down the barrel, not just past the throat.
    Have you read # 542 above ?

Just a casual observation here, but using a boolit with one large lube groove (like the Lee-356-120-TC) with tumble lube; probably isn't going to get very good results. The TL356-124-TC would be a much better choice. There is a reason tumble lube boolits have small shallow grooves. When using a boolit with a single large lube groove all the lube is scraped off the bearing surface when the boolit is loaded into the case. When a tumble lube type boolit is loaded in the case the lube stays in the shallow grooves and when the boolit travels down the barrel the lube can make contact with the barrel to help prevent leading. Also, thanks Ben; I was looking for something that I could loosen up the Lee alox with instead of paint thinner (which has no lubing properties at all). I tried using some of the canned paste wax awhile ago and although it thinned the alox, it doesn't dry very good like this wax. Saved me time and money on experimenting.
    Never in history has there been a situation so bad that the government couldn't make it worse.
    A foolish faith in authority is the enemy of the truth.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Have you read # 542 above ?
    Yes I did. I edited this post as I realized I came off as an @ss. Thanks for all the great info.
    Good shooting.
    Last edited by sawzall; 04-15-2015 at 06:17 PM. Reason: I'm an @ss.

Boolit Grand Master
    sawzall,

Not a problem sawzall.

I hope you get your leading problem resolved.

Best to you,
    Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 04-15-2015 at 09:45 PM.

I'm A Honcho!
    Good evening Ben
    Thanks again for this marvelous concoction I use it with ben's red as an over coat. Tac1 as an over coat and all by itself.
    So far I has been fantastic and helped shrink my groups significantly.
    I freaked out when I seen the thread about it being discontinued and bought 10 cans.
    I think I am set for life

Thanks a bunch Ben!

Wasalmonslayer

Boolit Grand Master
    Wasalmonslayer

You're more than welcome ! !

You have 2 on me, I only have 8 cans.

I wonder if Johnson's Wax will have a change in heart when they see all of us flooding into stores all over America emptying the shelves of " One Step " ?

They may feel if it is selling like hot cakes, we don't want to discontinue it ? ?

Ben

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Wasalmonslayer

You're more than welcome ! !

You have 2 on me, I only have 8 cans.

I wonder if Johnson's Wax will have a change in heart when they see all of us flooding into stores all over America emptying the shelves of " One Step " ?

They may feel if it is selling like hot cakes, we don't want to discontinue it ? ?

Ben
    Hey Ben, it turns out it's not discontinued. Only in Canada. The caster who got a reply saying it was discontinued was Canadian and they quit importing the SC Johnson products about 10 years ago to sell Pledge stuff up here. Another poster, American, got a reply a few days ago saying they have no plans to discontinue the one step wax.

Banned

There is some good news.

I'm A Honcho!
    Dang anyone want to buy a couple cans

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael J. Spangler View Post
    had anyone run this in 44 mag with moderate to hot loads yet?
    8.5 grains of Unique in 44 Special cases with RCBS 44-250 K boolits shot well with no leading in limited testing using BLL in a 29-2 S&W. I won't try it much hotter than that, but that's good enough for me.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy
    It's been awhile since I've read through this whole thread, but I thought I'd seen some people saying they thought the T/L lube would work well for nose riding boolits. Has anyone had better success with lubing the grooves then tumbling Ben's T/L on nose riders? Any records of different accuracy or velocity increases?

Boolit Master

thats a decent load with unique.
    pretty respectable for sure. i'll give it a try thank you

Boolit Master

Greetings all! I've needed to change up my lube method from dipping bullets in Alox to something else due to some arthritis developing in my shoulder joints. I have a Lyman 4500 but have no desire to go to traditional lubing and it would do nothing for the range of motion issues I now have. A couple of fellows had told me about this topic and recipe last year so I planned to give Ben's TL a try with this year's casting season.

I have a list of 33 different bullets, all tumble lube designs, and it looks like the switch from straight Alox to this mix will be terrific. The lube mix applies faster, fills better, and dries quicker than the straight Alox. I tried some variations to the mix percentages but the 60/40 just cannot be improved from my experience.

What is working best for me is using a light coat tumble and then dumping the bullets on a cookie sheet in front of a fan to dry. I put the bullets into a plastic coffee container with a snap lid, apply enough lube to provide the light coats, and then roll the coffee can across the top of a work bench. This takes less than a minute and then after about 2 hours in front of the fan the bullets are dried. Pistol bullets can be used after the single coat and in the case of those going to high pressure cartridges, additional light coats can be applied. What I'm going with for the later is three of these light coats with the long rifle bullets. The hands on time for applying lube is near nil. Maybe a minute with each coat.

I just cast three new designs that NOE cut; a TLC310-165-RF (300 Sav), a TLC310-180-RF (308 Win), and a TLC313-150-RF (7.62x39). These three designs were cast the same day, 250 each of the first two and then 500 of the 7.62x39 bullets. Each of these lots of bullets where lubed three times; approximately 15 minutes of hands on time for the process. I'm letting the bullets dry for two hours between the applications and then overnight after the final "tumble". So, I lubed 1,000 bullets in four hours time but only handled them for 15 minutes. They dried while I slept.

This is my TLC310-180-RF bullet and you simply cannot fill the bands any better with any other type of method. What I like about Ben's TL formula is how there is a hard coat film over the bullet, they are not sticky like they would be with the straight Alox. Of course, the proof comes at the shot.

I start all my new load shooting at 25 yards. If the bullet holes don't touch here, there is no sense in going any further as the bullets/load will not provide a usable hunting MOA out at 150 to 200 yards. Above is the first four shots with my Savage 110WLE chambered in 300 Savage. This rifle was a limited series with a longer throat so that heavier than spec bullets could be used with the cartridge (the run also included rifles chambered in 250 Savage and the 7x57). The first shot, the lower hole was me not minding this rifle's trigger (maybe you can read my note to self). The three shots show me a lot of promise. What they show me about the lube is that is is going to hang in there as it is present at the hole cuts and there is a nice "star" at the muzzle. As the stats on the target show, this is no mouse load, it is straight into some serious velocity and pressure. From experience, I'm going to put a little more heat on the load and the holes will close but I have to adjust the Basix trigger a bit before I proceed.

My alloy mix is 95/5, wheel weights/tin. I do add 1 ounce by volume of #8 shot to 10# of the alloy mix and water quench at the drop. This makes for a very tough alloy that has proven to me to be an outstanding hunting bullet.

I've also moved all my pistol loading, except the 25 Auto, to my Load-Master presses. I do use the bullet feeders and I'm not having any issues with the lube during feed. I initially dusted the bullets with mica but I don't feel each load needs it. In fact, the dusted bullet tubes are probably good enough.

Bullet lube cannot fix a poor chamber fit or alloys that are not compatible to the load but I see this formula fitting my needs perfectly. Thank you Ben!
    Last edited by Ranch Dog; 04-18-2015 at 08:56 AM.
    Michael

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks for a well done pictorial. Good Job!!

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Now there's an endorsement!
    Krav Maga Instructor
    Defensive Tactics Instructor for Public Safety Personnel
    Empty Handed Gun Disarming Instructor

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - infantry journal