RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 24 of 70 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW ! ! T/L Liquid Lube

Boolit Grand Master
    Yes, stick with your 45-45-10.

So, I shot some on some 900fps-ish Lee 356-125-2R boolits, that I lubed with this formulation, yesterday. I got leading like nobody business. Aloy was range scrap, which is all I know about it, however I never got leading with it and straight LLA or straight JPW. This is not a criticism of the BLL, just my experience to pass on. I suspect I did not use enough or need to add more LLA to the mix. I added just a small squirt to 200 boolits, when I coated them, and sized after they dried. It looked like I got all of them coated, but it still might not have been enough. I'll add a second coat to this first batch. I did not conventionally lube them prior to tumble lubing them, since the lube groove on this boolit might as well be a micro-band anyway. >.< I'll be reading up on this thread as it gets updated.
    ABQ
    Krav Maga Instructor
    Defensive Tactics Instructor for Public Safety Personnel
    Empty Handed Gun Disarming Instructor

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - infantry journal

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    Quote Originally Posted by abqcaster View Post
    So, I shot some on some 900fps-ish Lee 356-125-2R boolits, that I lubed with this formulation, yesterday. I got leading like nobody business. Aloy was range scrap, which is all I know about it, however I never got leading with it and straight LLA or straight JPW. This is not a criticism of the BLL, just my experience to pass on. I suspect I did not use enough or need to add more LLA to the mix. I added just a small squirt to 200 boolits, when I coated them, and sized after they dried. It looked like I got all of them coated, but it still might not have been enough. I'll add a second coat to this first batch. I did not conventionally lube them prior to tumble lubing them, since the lube groove on this boolit might as well be a micro-band anyway. >.< I'll be reading up on this thread as it gets updated.
    ABQ
    I would have to say your problem lies in sizing after coating Size first then coat with BLL…..It is a thin coat so sizing removed too much of it on your boolits
    Just MHO
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

I thought so, but the "driving bands" still felt lubed. I'll just double lube, since I have to lube before sizing. Otherwise, the bullets get hung up in the sizer after a few unlubed ones go through it and ream out any residual lube. Thanks!
    Krav Maga Instructor
    Defensive Tactics Instructor for Public Safety Personnel
    Empty Handed Gun Disarming Instructor

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - infantry journal

Moderator Emeritus

I'm still waiting for my Liquid Johnson's one step, no buff wax to arrive at the local hardware store. So I can say right up front, I haven't tried BLL yet.

But, I do have a question, since there have been two recent posts concerning Lead fouling.

my Question to Ben (or anyone):
    Is it because the end resultant Lube is a liquid and has a seemingly higher concentration of solvents, that it's easier to put on a thinner layer of lube on the boolit, compared to 45-45-10, that maybe a layer that's too thin, could cause lead fouling.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by abqcaster View Post
    I thought so, but the "driving bands" still felt lubed. I'll just double lube, since I have to lube before sizing. Otherwise, the bullets get hung up in the sizer after a few unlubed ones go through it and ream out any residual lube. Thanks!
    I double lube, since the sizing will like remove much if not all of the lube on the critical areas that are being sized.. they size easy that way and then back in the bowl for one more tumble and dry... it's quick and easy to do and extra insurance for sure.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I'm still waiting for my Liquid Johnson's one step, no buff wax to arrive at the local hardware store. So I can say right up front, I haven't tried BLL yet.

But, I do have a question, since there have been two recent posts concerning Lead fouling.

my Question to Ben (or anyone):
    Is it because the end resultant Lube is a liquid and has a seemingly higher concentration of solvents, that it's easier to put on a thinner layer of lube on the boolit, compared to 45-45-10, that maybe a layer that's too thin, could cause lead fouling.
    Your question is worded in such a way as to suggest that the leading is directly related to some property of BLL. What makes you believe the leading is directly related to a failure of BLL ? ? There are so many variables involved in a leading issue in any rifle, pistol or revolver. Sizing dia., alloy, bullet style, lube, loading techniques, etc.

The leading that these 2 shooters have described could be directly related to the use of BLL. It could also be some other factor that is causing the problem?

We are MANY miles away from this situation, how can we say the leading is related to " this or that " ?

Don't overlook the 24 pages of post here about BLL . In these 470 post many ( not all ) of the shooters who have used BLL have nothing but good things to say about it.

Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 03-23-2015 at 04:25 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Your question is worded in such a way as to suggest that the leading is directly related to some property of BLL. What makes you believe the leading is directly related to a failure of BLL ? ? There are so many variables involved in a leading issue in any rifle, pistol or revolver. Sizing dia., alloy, bullet style, lube, loading techniques, etc.

The leading that these 2 shooters have described could be directly related to the use of BLL. It could also be some other factor that is causing the problem?

We are MANY miles away from this situation, how can we say the leading is related to " this or that " ?

Don't overlook the 24 pages of post here about BLL . In these 470 post many ( not all ) of the shooters who have used BLL have nothing but good things to say about it.

Ben
    Ben, You are correct in everything you say here.
    Now "the property" I'm questioning isn't necessarily a fault of BLL, it would be the fault of the person applying it.

Let me try again:
    Do you suppose it's possible to put a layer of BLL on a boolit so thin, and yet cover it completely, that it could fail ?

If the answer is yes, then I am merely suggesting that, if these two incidents had too thin a layer of BLL, it could be the issue, and they could easily correct their problem by applying BLL a tiny bit heavier.

And maybe, I am WAAAYYYYY of base, and the issues with these two incidents are being caused by the myriad of other, more typical causes, that you mention.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    Another 60 rounds of stout 44 with 300 grain boolits and two light coats if BLL on Friday. One light coat, sized and dried and then lubed lightly again. Didn't bother cleaning the bore it was spotless.
    Dan

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Ben, You are correct in everything you say here.
    Now "the property" I'm questioning isn't necessarily a fault of BLL, it would be the fault of the person applying it.

Let me try again:
    Do you suppose it's possible to put a layer of BLL on a boolit so thin, and yet cover it completely, that it could fail ?

If the answer is yes, then I am merely suggesting that, if these two incidents had too thin a layer of BLL, it could be the issue, and they could easily correct their problem by applying BLL a tiny bit heavier.

And maybe, I am WAAAYYYYY of base, and the issues with these two incidents are being caused by the myriad of other, more typical causes, that you mention.

Yes, I do believe that is possible.

As to why are they experiencing leading....who knows ? ?

Ben

Boolit Master
    Re. Leading in 45 ACP I will be trying two more tests. 1. TL ONE MORE TIME boolits as cast. 2. Size the ones TL twice already add one more TL after sizing. Both will have 3 x TL difference will be the sizing to .452
    I'm a Red Cross blood donor- are you? Make an appointment to donate today http://www.redcrossblood.org/make-donation
    http://www.redcrossblood.org/

FOR Disaster Relief DONATIONS-
    http://http://www.redcross.org/charitable-donations

Boolit Master
    If I'm going only BLL on pistol boolits I will tell you my "Cheat" Grab your can of Johnson's Paste wax ( Yes I know you guys have that hoarded away ala Recluse lube) Saturate a cloth with it ...preferably flannel: Lay it on your table Then take your too be sized boolits & roll them around on it then run them though your Lee sizing dies....now they are the right size so take them drop them in your bowl and add the right amount of "BLL" Swish them around ...dump... stand up let dry, load & shoot! You will love it!

" Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Master
    I have the Lyman 245496 mould which is a Loverin boolit design. I have just started casting this boolit, I'm a bit leary that here is not enough bore riding surface to use BLL, 45-45-10 or similar tumble lube. Anyone with this type of experience.
    Lucky Joe
    "There's always a way."

Boolit Grand Master
    Depends on the speeds you are going to be shooting the bullets at.

At 1,100 - 1,400 fps I'd say you'll be OK with BLL.

Much over 1,500 fps in the 24 bore may need about 3 of the bottom rings on your Loverin boolit filled with Ben's Red and then " over - coated " with BLL. That should take you to 2,000 fps + with good results.

Ben

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Joe View Post
    I have the Lyman 245496 mould which is a Loverin boolit design. I have just started casting this boolit, I'm a bit leary that here is not enough bore riding surface to use BLL, 45-45-10 or similar tumble lube. Anyone with this type of experience.
    Exactly that type of experience. I pan lube with Ben's Red...kake cut & dry for a day then Tumble with an overcoat of BLL

Shot it last evening with 13 gr of 2400 & ten shots into 3/4" no leading ( alloy is water quenched wheel weights sized .246") Didn't get a chance to photograph target yet!
    Shot in my 1980's Tang safety 77V

Boolit Master
    Thanks Ben, Looking to run faster, pretty much convinced lube I will have to use a solid and then perhaps TL in BLL.
    Lucky Joe
    "There's always a way."

Boolit Master
    Thank you JW that is the kind of report I was hoping to hear.
    Lucky Joe
    "There's always a way."

Boolit Grand Master

I got 4 cans at Home Depot today for $6.48/can. No more on shelf. Lowes still has some. Ace hardware is out of stock, but some on the way.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    I got 4 cans at Home Depot today for $6.48/can. No more on shelf. Lowes still has some. Ace hardware is out of stock, but some on the way.
    Nobody tell "Obama" that we are not using it for our floors otherwise we will all be out of luck!

Boolit Grand Master
    Get it while it is out there fellows !

Ben

Page 24 of 70 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast