Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 31 of 70 FirstFirst ... 212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW ! ! T/L Liquid Lube

Boolit Buddy
    I cast 50 lbs of .45 yesterday and today I made my first batch of Ben's LL. Has anyone tried just laying them out as with plain alox? It only takes a minute to lube them but I spent a lot of time standing them up. By the time I had about 400 done the first ones were dry. Was using a teaspoon per 100. It really doesn't take much.Can't wait to shoot em.

Boolit Grand Master
    Find or make one of these :

Now you can pour your coated bullets onto the wire without spending time to stand them up.

I attached the basket to a couple of strips of 2" X 2" ( on opposite sides of the basket )to elevate the basket and allow air to travel underneath speeding up the drying time.

No accuracy or performance differences were ever seen with this method vs. standing the bullets on their bases when applying BLL.

Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 05-14-2015 at 09:00 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    I tried my first batch of BLL this week on some lee 452-300-rf standard lube groove bullets. Wow, they dried quick (under 2 hours).

Coat, let dry, put through my lee pass through sizer seating gc's. One more coat of BLL and again in about two hours, they were ready to go.

The BLL finish is much less sticky than any of the ALOX or ALOX mixes I have tried. It is super easy to make, and I had NO leading at the range.

I was shooting the 454 Casull with 14.5 gr of Blue Dot, so it was kind of a low mid-range load, but, great fun and Very accurate in my gun.

Just my 2 cents. rch

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Ben, I usually don't cast that many at one time but we are having a few cool days here in TN and I figured it would help with keeping a little cooler with a long sleeve denim shirt I wear while casting. Never thought about the time cost of standing them up and trying to get them all lubed and sized. Hind sight, right?

Boolit Master
    Hutch I don't bother standing them up. I just pour them onto a piece of tarp. No problems
    I'm a Red Cross blood donor- are you? Make an appointment to donate today http://www.redcrossblood.org/make-donation
    http://www.redcrossblood.org/

FOR Disaster Relief DONATIONS-
    http://http://www.redcross.org/charitable-donations

Boolit Buddy
    I was looking at that basket and I thought about making a 1x4 frame with a hole for a blow dryer. As fast as this stuff dries anyway it should make it really quick. I need to build a screen for dumping my bullet trap anyway so this could pull double duty.

A good read
    "Life isn't like a box of chocolates...It's more like
    a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn
    your ass tomorrow."

I made my first batch of BLL yesterday. I had 6 oz of Alox on hand and used it all in the mix never liked it much anyway straight. Coated 100 Lee soup cans & just dumped them out on a piece of cardboard seemed to work just fine, BLL stayed on the boolit with very little sticking to the cardboard. Loaded up a few light loads to try out in a new Ruger American in 300 BLK that should be here in a couple of days.

Boolit Buddy
    Finally got a chance to shoot some. 200 rounds of .45 acp and just pushed a clean patch through the barrel. It was clean and shiny. Thanks again Ben, this is by far the best lube I have used.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hutch18414 View Post
    Finally got a chance to shoot some. 200 rounds of .45 acp and just pushed a clean patch through the barrel. It was clean and shiny. Thanks again Ben, this is by far the best lube I have used.
    GREAT !

Enjoy,

Ben

Boolit Master

I just returned from New Brunswick Canada. I traveled about 165 miles north of Bangor Maine to hunt black bear. I used my 35 Whelen with a 3589 boolit lubed with Ben's Red through a .360 sizing die. I then tumble lubed using Ben's LL. My accuracy was just so-so prior to doing the tumble lube with BLL. From my experience, the additional step of applying BLL to the boolit resulted in a more accurate boolit than when lubed once. My results using BLL pretty much follow others in that the bore of my rifle is mirror bright and can literally be cleaned with a dry patch. I confess that that seems too easy so to make myself feel better I usually run a wet patch through first followed by dry patches and then a patch to apply a thin coating of oil to prevent any rust from sitting for longer periods of time. I will add that I was successful and was able to shoot a nice black bear on the last day of my hunt before having to return home. I have written that up in the hunting with cast elsewhere in this forum. I just wanted to come here to this thread to let others know of my practical success using BLL. Once again my thanks to Ben for his mentoring and hard work in making this great cast boolit site even greater!
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Grand Master
    I hope that what little bit that I've done will be a benefit to all of you.

Best,
    Ben

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Find or make one of these :

Now you can pour your coated bullets onto the wire without spending time to stand them up.

I attached the basket to a couple of strips of 2" X 2" ( on opposite sides of the basket )to elevate the basket and allow air to travel underneath speeding up the drying time.

No accuracy or performance differences were ever seen with this method vs. standing the bullets on their bases when applying BLL.

Ben
    What is that, Ben? A type of deep fry basket? I was thinking of either a deep fry basket of some type or a piece of hardware cloth.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master
    I have no idea what it is called.

It doesn't have to be identical to the photo, just something similar.

Boolit Grand Master

That just happened to be exactly what I am looking for
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

I saw a set of baskets similar to this one in Sam's the other day one was almost exactly like Ben's with three smaller ones in the set different sizes. Stainless steel, I think the price was $45

Boolit Grand Master
    My universal source for such items is thrift stores.
    You never know what you're going to find in those places.

Ben

Boolit Mold
    I have good news and bad news. First the good. Thank you Ben you solved a problem I have been chasing for months. A 625 revolver that would lead all the time, some more, some less. Chased lead alloy, types of lube, size, mouthwash used, etc. Then I tried a store bought , hard bullet, no lube in groove, rolled it in your mix , wait......... shoot. No lead, not even on the lead edges of the rifling. A tiny bit a lead around the very outside edge of the forcing cone, I can live with that. Good accuracy. Happy man here. Bad news is I tried same mix on some 38 cal wc bullets with prior lube, still got leading heading into barrel. Takes a little while but it builds up. No worse than before, just not better. But I am happy with the 45. Thank you again. One question.... when people say dry, mine are dry, but have a waxy feel to them, that is normal I would guess, this does not end up a hard coat, correct??

Eric

Boolit Grand Master
    Normal

Love Life
    I shot more boolits today using BLL. I was shooting some smooth side boolits that I usually HI-TEK or PC. Stuff worked like a charm, non-sticky when dry, and sho' is cheaper than Rooster Jacket!!

I am thankful that you shared this with us.

Page 31 of 70 FirstFirst ... 212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast