RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyWidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 12 of 70 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212262 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW ! ! T/L Liquid Lube

Boolit Grand Master
    wlc

I obviously think Ben's Liquid Lube will break down at some point as people search for the lube's velocity ceiling . You may discover that point ?

I'm sorry If I came across wrong.

Seems a lot of shooters of late want to know, " If I change A, B, C, D, with your lube what will happen ?

Truth is , I have no idea. Two years ago, this mixture ( to my knowledge ) didn't even exit.

I had the following goals for Ben's Liquid Lube :

(1) I wanted a simple liquid lube that was economical .
    (2) The components should be easily accessible.
    (3) It shouldn't be so complicated that it would take a graduate assistant in chemistry to make it.
    (4) It should dry quickly and dry hard making cast bullets easy to handle.
    (5) It should produce accurate cast bullet loads with light to moderate loads in revolver, pistol and C/F rifle.
    (6) The bore should be clean after firing.

I feel that I've accomplished my goals and at this point in time I won't be making any changes to the Ben's Liquid Lube that I'm using.

However, other shooters can and will make any changes to Ben's Liquid Lube that they feel is appropriate.
    Last edited by Ben; 01-18-2015 at 09:25 PM.

Boolit Master

I pushed to lube to 2100fps with my 223. BAC/CRED in the grove then tumbled. Zero problems and a clean bore. I have some more testing to do this week(pending weather) and I will post pics.
    Every shot you get in life counts

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by **oneshot** View Post
    I pushed to lube to 2100fps with my 223. BAC/CRED in the grove then tumbled. Zero problems and a clean bore. I have some more testing to do this week(pending weather) and I will post pics.
    Sounds like good progress.
    I'd love to see your pics.

Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 01-18-2015 at 08:57 PM.

Boolit Master
    Ben, You didn't come across "wrong" at all. I was afraid I had. Your liquid lube will definitely be a staple in my tool box of casting. I like simple, easy, cheap and functional. This seems like if fills all those in spades. I will be trying it out soon.

Ben i know this thread is about the new LL but just had to tell you, i got my first two deer with cast in a rifle this weekend using Ben's Red. The shots were only 60 and 40 yds. but had a VERY small window to shoot through the gall berries on both shots or risk deflection of the boolit. Both were first shots from a cold clean bbl. and Dead center where the cross hairs were.
    I love Ben's Red and that was a fitting final test of the lube when it Really counted. The barrel was freezing cold on both shots.
    Now that the freezer's full again i can play with Ben's LL...Many thanks Ben!!!!!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 35 shooter View Post
    Ben i know this thread is about the new LL but just had to tell you, i got my first two deer with cast in a rifle this weekend using Ben's Red. The shots were only 60 and 40 yds. but had a VERY small window to shoot through the gall berries on both shots or risk deflection of the boolit. Both were first shots from a cold clean bbl. and Dead center where the cross hairs were.
    I love Ben's Red and that was a fitting final test of the lube when it Really counted. The barrel was freezing cold on both shots.
    Now that the freezer's full again i can play with Ben's LL...Many thanks Ben!!!!!
    Yes, you're right, paper punching is fine but eating good deer tenderloin is even better.

People have asked me if Ben's Red will work in cold weather, I think I'll refer their questions to you.

Good shooting,

Ben

Boolit Master
    I haven't read the hole thread YET. Please excuse me if this question has been addressed!
    I have some VERY thick LLA. It is not even pourable. Can I add more Johnson wax than the recipie calls for to get the same consistency as regular LLA?

Banned

Try it as specified. You can't undone it once it is done. The end product does not have the consistency of "LLA," it is more liquid. I would read the entire thread first.

Boolit Man

Quote Originally Posted by kbstenberg View Post
    I haven't read the hole thread YET. Please excuse me if this question has been addressed!
    I have some VERY thick LLA. It is not even pourable. Can I add more Johnson wax than the recipie calls for to get the same consistency as regular LLA?
    Mine was the same. I warmed it enough to flow/measure and mixed according to the recipe with excellent results.

Boolit Master
    Thank you G.man. I will do that.

Boolit Master

Here is the results of my test run. The Ben's LL was shot first followed by a bore cleaning and then fired my normally lubed boolits. Both sets of groups were with NOE 60gr Nato's, one set from my 22hornet Contender 1200fps no gas check tumbled lubed either in alox or Ben's LL. The other set is from my 223rem XP100 2100fps gas checked lubed with BAC/Cred 3 to 1 one target is then tumbled in Ben's LL. 5 shots per target.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hornet jpw.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	128193Click image for larger version. 

Name:	223 jpw.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	128194
    22Hornet is on the left, 223 is on the right with the quarter marking the Ben's LL group.

Thanks Ben, I need to try a few more groups up and down a few tenths but I'm happy with the results of the side by side test.
    Every shot you get in life counts

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by **oneshot** View Post
    Here is the results of my test run. The Ben's LL was shot first followed by a bore cleaning and then fired my normally lubed boolits. Both sets of groups were with NOE 60gr Nato's, one set from my 22hornet Contender 1200fps no gas check tumbled lubed either in alox or Ben's LL. The other set is from my 223rem XP100 2100fps gas checked lubed with BAC/Cred 3 to 1 one target is then tumbled in Ben's LL. 5 shots per target.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hornet jpw.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	128193Click image for larger version. 

Name:	223 jpw.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	128194
    22Hornet is on the left, 223 is on the right with the quarter marking the Ben's LL group.

Thanks Ben, I need to try a few more groups up and down a few tenths but I'm happy with the results of the side by side test.
    That is Great Oneshot,

Many thanks,
    Ben

Boolit Man

I did some testing with BLL (mixed per instructions) over my normal lube (LBT Blue Soft) with NOE 360009 in the .358 Win BLR this weekend and am very pleased with the results. I shot 40 rounds including ladders between 2000-2150 FPS using H322 and IMR 3031. Accuracy with some known loads as control groups showed the same (or perhaps a little better) accuracy I am accustomed to in this rifle. The 3031 ladder had a nice 4 round .894 MOA cluster around 2100 fps. The real shocker was an almost complete lack of leading. I shot ladders last weekend from 1700-2000 (again around 40 rounds total), cleaning between each 10 round string. This weekend I elected not to clean in between. With BLL the total leading from 40 rounds at higher velocities was FAR LESS than any of the 10 round groups previously shot using the same powders. The only changes I mader were going up in velocity, and using BLL.

Boolit Grand Master
    g.man10mm

That is GREAT.

Thanks for sharing.

Ben

Boolit Master

Ben,

You will get a kick out of this. I am new to the .358 win. and taking baby steps. My first outing was with a 180 WFP plain base tumbled with Ben's LL. and a RCBS 200FP gas checked and lubed with a lubrisizer.

Both were loaded over 10 grs. unique (baby steps) and shot at 50 yards. Below is the target. It is kind of busy but only look at the five round groups circled in sharpie.

This is a commercially produced 180 cast. I tumbled it in BLL once before sizing and after sizing.

Here is the target for comparison

Here is my 35 Rem CVA Hunter that I got a couple of weeks ago and had reamed to .358 Win (1:14 twist)

Many thanks for your innovative work and sharing it with us.

Boolit Grand Master
    jaysouth

Yes, that is some great shooting with your 358 Win.

As a matter of fact I have a similar load that I've shot in my .358 Win.

I had Buckshot HP a .35 cal., double cav. SAECO # 353 HP. The mold cavity that was not HP'd cast a solid at 180 grs. My HP version cast at 168 grs. with a generous HP cavity. I've shot this bullet into wet sand at 38 Spec. velocities and found perfectly mushroomed bullets .700 " in diameter.

My HP pin goes all the way down to the crimp ring on this bullet.

Extremely accurate from my 38 Spec. Marlin 1894 CBC and shoots real good from my 358 Win. I'll include a target ( below ) shot with my 358 Win. , range was 50 yards , 5 shots, with the HP version of the bullet, load was 10.8 grs. of Russian Unique.

Considering the increased cost of g/c's , this bullet has a lot of potential in both full power pistol and reduced .35 cal. rifle loads .

Last edited by Ben; 01-22-2015 at 12:19 AM.

Boolit Master

Ben,

You and Goodsteel dun flung a cravin' upon me (immortal words of Jerry Clower, if anyone remembers who he was) for .358 Win.

A couple of weeks ago, I took a long FN action to a smith who found a Douglas 1:13 .358 barrel blank in his pile. He promised me a Christmas present. I am thinking of getting it done in 26" with a varmint contour.

Boolit Grand Master
    jaysouth

I do remember Jerry Clower ! !

Nothing really wrong with a 26" if that is what you've got your heart set on.

I'm a hunter and something that long in the woods hangs up on everything ( for me ).

With cast bullet propellants with the 358 Win, I don't see the need for a 26" , maybe others will step in here with their views. My two 358 Win. rifles have 20" and 22" inch barrels , they are super accurate and real killers on deer.

Thanks,
    Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 01-22-2015 at 12:04 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    This could not have come at a better time. I have a few batches of revolver and 30-30 boolits to lube and I detest lubing them by hand. Plus this should be more consistent coatings and should help accuracy. My wife was willing to grab a couple bottles of that wax today while I was working on her truck. Can't wait to try it all out, we moved and now have a range just outside my reloading room. Nothing like reloading and making adjustments and then going right outside to shoot them! Thanks for everything Ben!

Dan

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NLS1 View Post
    This could not have come at a better time. I have a few batches of revolver and 30-30 boolits to lube and I detest lubing them by hand. Plus this should be more consistent coatings and should help accuracy. My wife was willing to grab a couple bottles of that wax today while I was working on her truck. Can't wait to try it all out, we moved and now have a range just outside my reloading room. Nothing like reloading and making adjustments and then going right outside to shoot them! Thanks for everything Ben!

Dan
    You're VERY WELCOME !

Let us know how it works, please.

Ben

Page 12 of 70 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212262 ... LastLast