Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders JerkyLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Top best & worst rifle scopes

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Regardless of what scope you get, it is only as good as its mounts. See through rings of any sort are asking for trouble and will never allow your scope and rifle to perform at its best. If the option to use sights is really important I would at least get a quality set of quick release Weaver type rings. Really it's hard to go wrong with the traditional steel dovetail front/windage screw rear setup. You can find them in excellent used condition for low money on auction sites if cost is really a factor. If you are using a cheap or marginal scope, quality mounts will help it to keep its zero and last longer.

I really like Leupold scopes and the Japan made Bushnells and Weavers. The lower cost but not cheap scopes made in Korea and the Phillipines for Nikon, Bushnell, and Swift are really good for the money new and dirt cheap used. I have a Korea made Swift 1.5-4.5X21 on my Marlin Glenfield 30 mounted in steel Burris rings and base. It has held its zero 100% for five years of shooting, clambering up and down trees, and rapid changes in temperature and humidity. Took a nice doe at 85 yards on opening day with it. Point of impact was exactly where I aimed.

If I only had $50.00 to spend on a sighting system for a rifle my first choice would be a Williams receiver sight, slot blank, and front sight. If not that, an older Japan made Bushnell in Weaver mounts.
    Last edited by FergusonTO35; 11-20-2014 at 10:55 AM.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Bub
    I worked for a while at a local gun shop in Michigan. He would only stock Leupold and Burris for the most part, and would order Ziess for rifles headed with their owners for big-time trophy hunts (Africa mostly). That said, I only have Burris on my hunting rifles. Some plinkers or squirrel loaners have more economically priced glass, but no Tasco, Bushnell or no-brands allowed.

I have a Nikon Monarch on my TC Encore mounted with Burris Signature Z rings. It does a great job.
    Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. -- John Wayne

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    The ACOG is the best addition to an AR. Save your money and don't put all that useless mall ninja **** on your gun and get an ACOG instead. Clear glass, solid adjustments, and down right indestructable.

Using beat up rifles with god knows how many rds down the tube, Devil Dogs still continue to qual high expert scores using the ACOG.

I ordered an ACOG (TA31RCO-A4CP) today for my 20" AR. With a Cyber Monday coupon I saved 12% at Optics Planet which is significant for a $1400 scope. Now I'll see what all the excitement is about. I look forward to shooting this rifle better as my eyes are middle-aged now.

Worst - any scope made in the last 10+ years by Bushnell, BSA or Tasco

Best - Leupold or the new Redfields in the sub $300 range. Scope costing more than $300, no idea because my wife will not let me spend that much on optics.

BB

The best for the money is Leupold. I have had Tasco, Simmons, Bushnell, and a couple others but all have been replaced over the years with Leupolds. $1000.00 is not to much for the quality you get. Besides when I'm dead and gone the grand kids can take them and put them on there new guns.
    Charlie
    PS I'm waiting as we speak for a new leupold pistol scope for the 41 mag

My rifle is primarily a hunting rig...and in my end of the world, the deer walk at first light and last light with some predictability. I bought my last scope based on clarity and low-light performance, and I bought a Zeiss. Side by side comparison with a Leupold VX-III is darn close...but my eye prefers the Zeiss. I paid less than $400....it's held zero for several years, even through being behind the seat of my truck when totaled at 50mph. In my humble opinion....best hunting $$ I ever spent. I've bagged more deer in the last 3 years than the 5 years prior combined, all of them in light I would not have previously been able to shoot in.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    The ACOG is the best addition to an AR. Save your money and don't put all that useless mall ninja **** on your gun and get an ACOG instead......
    I actually don't like the ACOG.... but to each their own.

Best for the money? SWFA, Weaver, Leupold...... My Weaver is honestly solid as a rock. It's the scope which helped me put my trust back into scopes from iron sights.

Best budget scope for the money? BSA. I have a $100 BSA Sweet 223 which works better than it should. Have used it on a bolt action 223 and on two AR's. Holds zero, good glass. My only complaint for the cheap scope is the glare it very easily suffers from.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FlatTop45LC View Post
    I run Seeadler, Leupold, and Nikon on all my rifles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_A View Post
    if you got money to burn buy a march, if not a Nikon monarch will do just fine
    Are these typos? Never heard of either.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mumblypeg View Post
    Dollar for dollar.... Leupold. You only buy them once and for the money I can't see that the more expensive ones are worth the money. I have many. The only problem I ever had was once and it was fixed for free. And that was because it was dropped out of a tree at about 15 feet while mounted on top of a rifle.
    I'll say the same for Burris. 30 years, thousands of rounds, many miles through the brush and zero issues with my 1 3/4 - 5x. It stays mounted on my "meat rife", a Ruger M77 .270, always ready to go.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Elkins45 View Post
    Are these typos? Never heard of either.
    Seeadler isn't a typo. It is a German optic with Swarovski quality glass.

I only know one guy who imports them into the USA.

I run the 4-12x50 with German #4 Bold reticle. It works amazing on 4x with both eyes open in the thick swamp and has the top end to check horns in a field.

Boolit Buddy
    And March is a very expensive, rugged optic. I can't afford them so I don't have one nor have I used one much.

Banned
    I have never said I wished I had not bought that Leupold. I prefer the Vari-x scopes and buy them used. For worst I would say BSA. I have used and owned most of the USA scopes and own a bunch of them. Redfield was my go to scope 30 years ago for game, Unertel for target. By the way as much as I hate to say this because most of what they make is junk, Simmons had a cheap 3x9x40 scope out a few years back that was decent

Boolit Buddy
    Scope?

In Remembrance
    Any opinions on the pentax game seeker line of scopes?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    Any opinions on the pentax game seeker line of scopes?
    My little sister has one on her X-bolt 7mm-08. It is a 50mm.

Good light transmission and it holds zero well.

Banned
    I have lots of rifles & lots of scopes including a bunch of long range hunting, BR, F Class, etc. The only scopes I have bought in 10yrs are Nightforce, Swarvofski, & Leupold. I don't believe there is a better scope anywhere than the NXS.

I do plan to check out the Burris Eliminator III Range Finder & the Veracity in 4-20 & 5-25 etc.

As others have said, depends on your wallet There are more "good" scopes out there today so that there should be one for anyone with a decent size check book.

Yikes!

I just priced my Schmidt & Benders.

Sick, I tell you....sick!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345