RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingWideners
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: Lead for a .22 Jet

Lead for a .22 Jet

Howdy all. I was wondering if any of you cast for the .22 jet? I have a model 53 and cannot find the Hornady 40 grains for it anymore. I thought that maybe I should try cast. Any info on moulds and loads that seem to work well would be greatly appreciated to help me in the right direction. Thanks. Tom

From Lyman cast bullet handbook 3 rd edition.
    Attachment 121694
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

While convention would tell us to use a .223" cast for the Jet's .222" bore, I've never had any issue with using standard .225" for cast. I would start there and if you find you have any issues try sizing down to .224". I can't say I've ever tried .224" jacketed in my 53's but I do use them in my T/C. To be honest, that is how I tell them apart, all my T/C loads are spire pointed bullets and all my 53's are FP shorties. If you just want a handful of cast bullets to try drop me a PM and we'll get you hooked up.

Boolit Master

Have used the 225415, 225438 and the 224107 ( 35 gn.) lighter seems to be better and the harder cast the better. Generally size at .224 but you may want to try up to .225.
    The softer the alloy the more it seems you have to keep fps down. Works out to about like a .22 Mag. Have found it best to use a wax base lube followed with a quick tumble in 45-45-10. Leading has never been a problem and accuracy is staying good.
    A lot of people do not like this little cartridge but out in your part of the country I think it would be great for those desert cottontails and even for the odd coyote but for the coyotes I would stay with the heavier designs.
    Facta non verba

Thanks Guys for the help. I am going to see if I can find A 224107 mould. NOE makes a similar mould. Tom

Boolit Master

The NOE is a close enough copy. Had my best luck with it.
    Facta non verba