Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data

Thread: New Ruger AR 556

Boolit Master

New Ruger AR 556

It's hard to build one for what the street price will be on this. GB has one Buy It Now for $625.

Crazy.

http://www.ruger.com/products/ar556/models.html

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Master
    nice and it is a Ruger
    Frank G.

Boolit Grand Master

Like Rugers, but prefer standard ARs to the various non-std models out there.

Of course, now you get into - "What in the heck is a 'std AR'?"

OK, not a piston gun, really; too many options out there for a standard beyong
    an exact milspec rifle and we can't really own them. M4 bbls too short and
    that extra position on the selector is a problem.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Perma-Banned

That is a great price for a good AR.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    Like Rugers, but prefer standard ARs to the various non-std models out there.

Of course, now you get into - "What in the heck is a 'std AR'?"

OK, not a piston gun, really; too many options out there for a standard beyong
    an exact milspec rifle and we can't really own them. M4 bbls too short and
    that extra position on the selector is a problem.

Bill
    I understand that this is a standard gas impingement AR 15 like DPMS, CMMG, Bushmaster, Spikes Tactical, Etc.

Not proprietery like Rugers SR556.

Is that what you mean?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ruger Introduces the AR-556 Modern Sporting Rifle
    September 29, 2014
    Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc. (NYSE: RGR) announces the AR-556™ semi-automatic, M4-style, direct impingement Modern Sporting Rifle. With all major components machined at Ruger's Mayodan, NC facility, the AR-556 offers consumers an affordable, American-made Modern Sporting Rifle with the rugged reliability they have come to expect from Ruger.

"The AR-556 is the first firearm designed and built in our Mayodan, North Carolina, facility, and we couldn't be more thrilled with the finished product," remarked Ruger President and Chief Operating Officer Chris Killoy. "Through extensive design review and product testing, our Mayodan team has delivered a solid rifle that our customers will be proud to own - and we are proud to call a Ruger," he concluded.

The AR-556 is constructed from top-quality components, including forged 7075-T6 aluminum upper and lower receivers and a cold hammer-forged chrome-moly steel barrel with M4 feed ramp cuts. Chambered in 5.56 NATO, the AR-556's carbine-length, flat-top, M4 design is fully configured with a Ruger® Rapid Deploy folding rear sight, milled F-height gas block with post front sight, forward assist, dust cover, and brass deflector. Other features include a telescoping six-position stock, improved trigger-reach grip, enlarged trigger guard and one 30-round Magpul® PMag®. Standardized M4/AR components are utilized throughout, so the AR-556 can be customized easily.

The Ruger AR-556 was extensively tested during its development, with over a quarter million rounds expended during the final validation, endurance, and Ruger "jury" testing. With a MSRP of $749, the AR-556 is an affordable yet well-equipped M4-style Modern Sporting Rifle from Ruger - one of the most trusted names in American firearms.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by 762 shooter; 11-11-2014 at 05:52 PM.

Ruger should have came out with a DI AR before/instead of their piston AR.

Boolit Master

I agree that Ruger should have brought this AR out first to capture a bigger share of the market and then introduced their piston AR. I've seen and shot the gas-piston Ruger and its recoil pulse is different than the standard AR15.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Moderator Emeritus

I built my AR for $600 with a match grade barrel and a free float hand guard...

Boolit Master

Hey, doesn't this discussion belong in Military Rifles? No wait, it's a Ruger and an Ar-15 so Factory Rifles? Of course this is a friendly heads-up from a member to other members in the community on a good price so maybe it's in the correct forum? I'm so confused.

Ruger's timing couldn't be worse with this, as the glut of Ar-15's is starting to weigh on a slowing market. I'm sure it's excellent, but they would have sold a ton of them if they brought them out 2 years ago.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Master

At that price point they will sell a lot. At least one to me.

Yea, Fishman. I thought about Military rifles, then Factory rifles, then decided it was just a community FYI. "Our Town" is seen by everyone I would suspect.

I guess the new name for a civilian AR is "Modern Sporting Rifle". What a sweet, cute name. How could you legislate against that?

Last edited by 762 shooter; 11-12-2014 at 06:35 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Reviews and range report might fit better in one of the rifle forums, been considering a Ruger myself. Thanks for the heads-up, looking forward to your reports.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 762 shooter View Post
    At that price point they will sell a lot. At least one to me.

Yea, Fishman. I thought about Military rifles, then Factory rifles, then decided it was just a community FYI. "Our Town" is seen by everyone I would suspect.

I guess the new name for a civilian AR is "Modern Sporting Rifle". What a sweet, cute name. How could you legislate against that?

Yes I want one too.

My little barb wasn't at you 7.62. There has been quite a discussion going on in the factory rifle forum about a dedicated AR subforum. Some folks have claimed there is no interest in AR's on this site. Crazy I know but . . .
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Master

"The AR-556 is the first firearm designed and built in our Mayodan, North Carolina, facility, and we couldn't be more thrilled with the finished product," remarked Ruger President and Chief Operating Officer Chris Killoy. "Through extensive design review and product testing, our Mayodan team has delivered a solid rifle that our customers will be proud to own - and we are proud to call a Ruger"

What did they design exactly? It looks like every other AR out there.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    "The AR-556 is the first firearm designed and built in our Mayodan, North Carolina, facility, and we couldn't be more thrilled with the finished product," remarked Ruger President and Chief Operating Officer Chris Killoy. "Through extensive design review and product testing, our Mayodan team has delivered a solid rifle that our customers will be proud to own - and we are proud to call a Ruger"

I say two new designs.

First is a barrel nut/Delta ring that screws on to attach the hand guard instead of requiring 4 hands to install.

Second is designing a quality AR 15/M4 clone for $600.00.

Both deserving of mention.

Funny thing is that I'm just not a big fan of 223. 762 for me. But when you have a component system that is infinitely customizable, that arguably any one in America can afford to own, an unlimited availability of brass and bullets, magazines so cheap you can buy without an equity loan, enough You tube videos to choke a goat, and every recent veteran has a intimate knowledge of it's workings, it's something every citizen should own after they purchase the apple pie.

Last edited by 762 shooter; 11-13-2014 at 06:44 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 762 shooter View Post
    I say two new designs.

First is a barrel nut/Delta ring that screws on to attach the hand guard instead of requiring 4 hands to install.

Second is designing a quality AR 15/M4 clone for $600.00.

Both deserving of mention.

Funny thing is that I'm just not a big fan of 223. 762 for me. But when you have a component system that is infinitely customizable, that arguably any one in America can afford to own, an unlimited availability of brass and bullets, magazines so cheap you can buy without an equity loan, enough You tube videos to choke a goat, and every recent veteran has a intimate knowledge of it's workings, it's something every citizen should own after they purchase the apple pie.

I'm not so sure that qualifies as designing a firearm. I wonder if they make any other their own parts for their AR or outsource them like the other makers.

Moderator Emeritus

I built an AR for 1 main reason, coyotes that come into town and kill pets but it sure was fun for picking off prairie dogs out in SD with it. Amazing how many you can shoot with not having to work the bolt! Plus it is a fun range rifle, sub MOA at 100 yards, cheap to shoot my hand loads, and it looks nice so people ask what brand it is!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
    Yes I want one too.

My little barb wasn't at you 7.62. There has been quite a discussion going on in the factory rifle forum about a dedicated AR subforum. Some folks have claimed there is no interest in AR's on this site. Crazy I know but . . .
    I can see the appeal for an MSR subforum. Quite frankly I have little use for the rifles (and most days won't admit having one!) but I do keep up with advances, mods and accessories because someone is always asking me about them. It's a very popular and dynamic segment of the firearms market, whether I like it or not. My interpretation of the second amendment supports keeping a black gun around for social equipment, so I do. I'd certainly lurk on an MSR subforum a bit but can't imagine casting for a 5.56/.223. I do know lots of folks do it but I have too many big slow boolit projects to tackle before I explore casting tiny boolits for mouse guns.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post

They did not design much of anything. Modified the Delta ring assembly, magpul mbus knockoff sights and a cast FSB. I for one never had issue removing and reinstalling handguards on my rifles without tools. But if it works. I would rather spend a little more and build a rifle like I want but it is nice to have more choices.
    Last edited by dkf; 11-14-2014 at 09:56 PM.

Boolit Master

ruger did work very hard at making it factory equipped with an 8.5# trigger. decent rifles other than the trigger, my brother has both the 223 and 7.62 ruger piston guns, they work. its about the only thing in the ruger line that isnt filled with mim parts yet..................