Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacement Hopper for Ohaus Duo-Matic Powder Measure?

Question Replacement Hopper for Ohaus Duo-Matic Powder Measure?

Does anyone know of a source for a spare hopper (looks sort of like a tapered beaker/graduated cylinder or even a Pilsener glass) for this obsolete, but otherwise perfect powder measure? The inside diameter of the housing/collar is 3/4". RCBS no longer has parts for these measures, but they will offer a trade-in for a Uniflow PM, which I don't want, mostly because the Ohaus is the only measure I own that will handle IMR 5010. Thanks in advance for your help!

P.S. I'm off to Lowe's to see if I can find a copper pipe fitting that fits the collar. If so, I can cobble up an empty plastic soda, water, etc. bottle to fit and serve as a hopper of sorts.

Boolit Master
    How about fashioning one out of pieces of plastic PVC pipe? You could make it about any size you want and also make it as tall and as large as you want by fitting a piece then adding others of whatever diameter you wanted.

Thumbs up

lovedogs, I found a 3/4" copper fitting with a female adapter (threaded) that was a near perfect match to the powder measure. A bit of electrician's tape and a cut-down Diet Coke bottle forced into the fitting's threads now serves as a hopper. I finished testing it not 10 mins. ago and it works beautifully. With ball powders, in this case WC 860, the Ohaus PM is as accurate as my Bonanza (Forster) Bench Rest measure (also with WC 860). It seems we were on the same wavelength and thanks for your suggestion!

Boolit Master
    Maven, I just saw a photo of a powder measure sold by Forster that, to my eye, looks identical to the old Ohaus measures. Give them a call to see if I'm right and, if I am, how to get a new hopper.

Thumbs up

1hole, Will do and thanks for the tip!

Boolit Buddy
    you can buy lexan or plexiglass tubing of just about any size, you would need to come up with a base (reducer)

fix for duo measure hopper

I did use a 3/4 copper female adapter for mine and a plastic hopper for a paint gun; heated the plastic and fitting enough to make my own threads from the female threaded end of the fitting onto the hopper base. I then drilled a larger hole in the metal washer that was at the inside base of the hopper. It looks as if it were factory made and is at least 5 times stronger than the original and functions flawlessly, metering the powder as well or better than some high end (price) measures.

Boolit Master
    Mine is kaput as well. I found the plastic (clear plastic) bottle that Walmart cheapo alcohol
    comes in is ideal. Fits Ohaus opening on base perfectly. I drilled a hole in bottom of bottle and put in a 20 cent Ace Hardware rubber cork. Pull cork, fill powder through a funnel into bottle and you are ready to use measure.

been working fine for 3 yrs. Holds as much as original Ohaus hopper.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by milprileb View Post
    Mine is kaput as well. I found the plastic (clear plastic) bottle that Walmart cheapo alcohol
    comes in is ideal. Fits Ohaus opening on base perfectly. I drilled a hole in bottom of bottle and put in a 20 cent Ace Hardware rubber cork. Pull cork, fill powder through a funnel into bottle and you are ready to use measure.

been working fine for 3 yrs. Holds as much as original Ohaus hopper.
    Could you post a picture of this please? I've got a perfectly good, otherwise complete, green Du-O-Matic (early production from RCBS?) that has been sitting around gathering rust and dust for lack of the hopper.

Quote Originally Posted by o6Patient View Post
    I did use a 3/4 copper female adapter for mine and a plastic hopper for a paint gun; heated the plastic and fitting enough to make my own threads from the female threaded end of the fitting onto the hopper base. I then drilled a larger hole in the metal washer that was at the inside base of the hopper. It looks as if it were factory made and is at least 5 times stronger than the original and functions flawlessly, metering the powder as well or better than some high end (price) measures.
    Ditto to above... how does the 3/4 copper female adapter attach? Is it a friction fit into the neck at the base of the reservoir casting? Pictures would be most appreciated.

Froggie

Banned
    The RCBS and Ohaus both have a 1 inch ID opening for the hopper. The Bonanza mentioned above has a 5/8 inch opening, this is for both of their measures. The Tecto/Pacific has a 3/4 inch opening.

I have not been to a cooking store but it may be possible to find a funnel with a 1 inch OD neck. Don't laugh, the original Ideal Armory measure from 1900 used a funnel shaped hopper so it is not an original idea.

Ken

Green Frog, I simply took the Du-O-Measure (old Ohaus, tan color) to the plumbing section of Lowes and searched for a Cu fitting that was a close slip fit into the opening. A few wraps of elecrician's tape (sorry for mixing crafts!) + the set screw on the measure itself hold it in place reasonably well. The new "hopper" is a 16 oz. Coke bottle (brand not important) with the base cut off and the threaded end pushed into the opening. Btw, the bottom of my measure housing didn't have the green plastic housing that you'd hold an empty cartridge against in order to charge it [and not spill powder]. I asked RCBS to send me 2, which they did. I needed to drill out the base with a 7/16" drill bit in order to insert it, but yours may be different.

In Remembrance

I totally agree that RCBS should make a replacement hopper, this is my favorite measure to use. I like my LEE but the OHAUS is my first choice. I made mine usable for a while longer with a 20 oz. Sprite bottle. I shaved a little off the threads so it fit snug into the hopper then cut a slot for the locater, the rubberband is to hold the bottom of the bottle (that is now the lid) down.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/atta...4&d=1256191603

I shaved the male threads down on a MEC powder baffle and glued it to the measure. I use one of the standard MEC powder bottles screwed into the baffle. Works like a charm.
    "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." A. Brilliant

Boolit Master
    I was on the Mec track like bbqncigars illustrated till I found this bottle of Walmart alcohol almost used up in the house and it fit like a glove in the O Haus powder measure. I did copy the plug idea that Mec uses on their bottles and got a plug from Ace hardware for 20 cents.

The Sprite bottle is bigger than my bottle (which holds a pound of powder) so thats a option for larger capacity hopper if one is interested.

The Mec bottle idea allows screwing in replacement bottles if that is a feature you desire. I just pull plug from top of my bottle hopper and use funnel to refill it and its quick. Change out of powder is loosen set screws in base and unscrew bottle from measure and empty it. Same drill as Mec bottles.

A good recon of the house and bottles of stuff might yield a good solution. The Mec idea allows purchase of known parts that will work.

I had wondered if the Lee powder hoppers and Forster hoppers could be adapted but never got that far. Did anyone go that route ?

Banned
    I don't have a Lee measure but the neck of the Forster is way too small to fit.
    Ken

Boolit Master
    I adapted a hopper from a Lee perfect powder measure to fit an Ohaus measure using a piece of pvc pipe. The pvc fit into the measure and the hopper fit into the pvc.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Green Frog;
    (Sorry it took so long to answer your question but it was an old thread when I posted I didn't think anyone would follow up...now I know better,http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imag.../icon_wink.gif but I have been distracted with stuff.)
    The screws that hold the original plastic thing are utilized and threaded right into the copper, obviously two holes need to be drilled. I found different length threaded female adapters and used the longer one so as to give handle clearance and make the secondary chamber this setup created via the baffle at the bottom of hopper, a little bigger.
    I am between houses right now and my reloading equipment is packed away at the bottom of the back room- should have been moved a year ago but we have had major mission creep. If I get a chance I will dig out this particular item and have my daughter re educate me enough to post some pics. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imag...ies/killpc.gif

Boolit Master
    I figured if mine broke, that I would try to cast the cap of a bottle into a plug of acraglass to fit the measure body. Then use the bottle as the reservoir. The copper fitting might be quicker. I've been lucky, mine is an old tan measure and it is a miracle I haven't broken it. I cut the spigot off an aluminum funnel and set that in the top as a powder baffle. It is a good measure!

I have the reservoir but it is so ill fitting I put it aside and built a good one so my heirs can sell it ebay. I have a rcbs duo that the plastic is also shrunk and brittle even though it is serviceable. Speaking of the flea bay; I put a bid in on an old ohaus duo w/ stand. From the picture I could see the small piston was missing and it had no drop tubes or reservoir and the outside wasn't cleaned up particularly well but put a bid in just for a "parts" machine. Long story short: it arrived very well packaged, and the other parts that are there are perfect and the fit of the cylinder to the housing is like new and pristine, better than mine which is very good. All other screws etc all fine as well. Paid very short money for what I got..some times you get lucky. So now I'll be able to use duo's way into the foreseeable future and combined with my mulls' can load most anything w/ minimal trickling.

Here are the pics as promised for Ohaus Duo-Measure hopperClick image for larger version. 

Name:	005.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	57181Click image for larger version. 

Name:	006.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	57182Click image for larger version. 

Name:	007.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	57183Click image for larger version. 

Name:	008.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	57184Click image for larger version. 

Name:	010.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	57185Click image for larger version. 

Name:	011.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	57186Click image for larger version. 

Name:	012.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	57187Click image for larger version. 

Name:	014.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	57188Click image for larger version. 

Name:	015.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	57189Click image for larger version. 

Name:	018.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	57190

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast