Load DataRepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2PBcastcoReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: The 410 loaded in brass shells

The 410 loaded in brass shells

I'm venturing into this pursuit and I'm finding that getting a good gas seal is difficult. I've tried hot melt clue to cap the case mouth but often this comes loose and it can't be providing enough resistance for pressure to build. What are y'all doing to solve this with brass shells

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I use a Buffalo Arms card wad in the Magtech shells and roll crimp then with a cut-off .308 Win. seater, adjusting the seating stem to hold the card in place while I bump the case mouth against the die shoulder.Attachment 121401

I'm thinking about 44 gas checks too instead of over shot cards. I'm going out to the craft store for some heavy cardboard and try that too.

Boolit Master

What dia. overshot card are you using?
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Boolit Master

I don't like crimping as I feel it will cause premature cracking of the end of the case. Normally I glued them in with various glues with so so results. Here lately another member mentioned using clear silicone caulk . tried it and it looks great. Time will tell if it will last but for now it's the best I have seen.
    Facta non verba

Quote Originally Posted by mac60 View Post
    If you're asking me, I'm using a .410 punch for the cards but I have 444 Marlin cases for shells and the cards are a little loose. The gas checks are the chit if you ask me

I have found a 7/16 punch work well for over powder and under shot from old leverarc and over shot card from milk boxs in the "thin" brass cases. Was lucky to find one second hand for R25.00 just more than 2$.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by mac60 View Post
    A .36 fits inside the mouth of the Federal 410SC shotcup, a Buffalo Arms .45 goes over the powder and under the 410SC shotcup to keep powder from leaking past the plastic wad, which would cause bloopers.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by FLHTC View Post
    If you're asking me, I'm using a .410 punch for the cards but I have 444 Marlin cases for shells and the cards are a little loose. The gas checks are the chit if you ask me
    I don't load any .410 brass shells - just 20 and 12. In the 12 ga. the proper os card would be 10 ga. in 20 ga. it would be 17 ga. A .410 os card is .412" in diameter, the one to use is .450" in diameter (for magtech brass hulls). I always use an oversize card and "glue" it in with clear silicone caulk.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

In Remembrance

All brass shot shells need different wads (larger) than plastic shot shells due to the thinner case walls of the brass cases compared to plastic or paper hulls. I use .45 caliber wads in my CBC-Magtech .410 brass shells with great success. Using regular .410 wads mostly resulted in "bloopers" with low pressure and the occasional wad left in the bore (not good!) I use a .45 caliber "over-shot" wad and glue it in with "Elmer's" white glue. The old Alcan company made all brass .410 shells and the wads to load them. When I ran out of these a few years ago, I discovered Circle Fly wads and CBC/Magtech brass which work very well together.

I'm using 444 brass. I don't care for the Magtech stuff. The 444 cases are quite thick and the gas checks work perfectly

Boolit Master

I've had good luck with the WW wads for the HS cases. The wad diameter is larger than the other similar wads and seems to be a good fit in MagTech cases with a 300 gr (11/16 oz) shot load. Tim
    Anybody tried using russian steel cases and reworking the primer pocket?

Boolit Master
    I have been using the 444 cases with a std 410 over shot wad glued in with silicone for several years. It's been working well. I'm using a 44gc upside down over the powder then an over shot wad, shot and another over shot wad glued in. I'm getting 3/4 oz in them.

What powder and load are you using for the 3/4oz Load?

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    I have been using the 444 cases with a std 410 over shot wad glued in with silicone for several years. It's been working well. I'm using a 44gc upside down over the powder then an over shot wad, shot and another over shot wad glued in. I'm getting 3/4 oz in them.
    Interesting. I'll have to try that.

i fire formed hornady 9.3x74r brass in my break action 410 and a wad cutter made by thecyberguy measuring .453dia punching cereal box for the powder card cork buffer cereal box card shot cereal box card sealed with melted crayola

Boolit Master
    a fired 45 long colt case will work for a cutter for a while . guy on feebay will make any size for about $10
    use the LIDS from cottage cheese or butter, yogurt, or the like. the plastic will not set like a paper wad and will hold tight
    I seat with a 44 pistol seat die to line up
    the over powder I cut petals off a 410 wad, but BPI has a powder seal. I have not used the lids for a over powder but would guess they would work or a wad cut from the bar coasters
    you don't need to crimp the case, the plastic will not move.