Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad DataRepackbox
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: What was your first pistol?

Springfield loaded 1911 in 45. I put on Pachmayer gripper grips and a Wilson Combat bushing. Sixteen years with this gun and it still shoots better than I can hold.

Boolit Master
    Hi...

Without trying to find the receipts, I really can't remember what my first handgun was.

Been a few purchased over the years...only got rid of a few(because of a divorce).

The first three I bought were a SA .22LR/22Mag in stainless from Kimmel Industries(actually a pretty good shooter), A S&W 686 Silhouette and a Springfield Armory 1911 in .45ACP.

Next revolver was a Ruger Super RedHawk in .44Mag with a 9-1/2" barrel and a Bushnell(IIRC) 2x scope. Wonderfully accurate...went away in the divorce. This was the handgun that I used to kill my first handgun buck with.

Could not begin to tell you what handguns came next....there are about 30 or 40 laying around the place, ranging from .22LR to .375Super Mag to .44Mag.

I am pretty sure what the next one will be...and it won't be for me, either.

My son turns 21 in january and is politicking pretty much incessantly for a Beretta 9mm.

Boolit Buddy

My first was a twenties vintage commercial Colt 1911. I never shot it. I was 9. It was a dying gift from Arthur Gideon. Mr Gideon worked for my Grandfather and was a real tinsmith.

A U.S. Army Model 1903 .38 Colt DA revolver. I bought it at a gun show when I was around 16-17. Shot it quite a bit, until the supply of .38 Colt ammunition dried up in the 70's then discovered it would shoot .38Spl. wad cutter target ammo just fine. I finally swapped it off for a 1911.

Boolit Master
    A Glock 17, liked it, but I needed a lot of practice to get that dang trigger under control.

When I bought my first sport pistol, a CZ 97 Sport with a single action trigger, I sold it and never looked back.

Glocks are fine pistols for what they are built for, but if you are trigger-sensitive, like I am, I would stay away from them.

Boolit Master
    My first pistol was a revolver, a Colt .22 Peacemaker 4". Paid $75.00. Took me six (6) months to save up $75.00. That was in the early 70's. Sure wish I'd have kept it to have now. Defining pistol as a bottom feeder, my first was a Sig 226 which I bought about 1989 to carry on duty as a peace officer. I always went bang which I pulled the trigger and was very accurate but I didn't keep it very long. That's about all I have to say about it.

Boolit Buddy
    a colt trooper mk3 in 357 mag in 1978 , i have payed it the same price of a python

Boolit Buddy
    Lightweight Colt Officer's 1911.

Loved that gun then, and still do today. 20 years later it is still my first choice for a daily carry.

My first pistol was a 45 caliber CVA Philadelphia Derringer kit. Came with every thing I need to get started including a 2 cavity brass mold. Still own it. Used to carry it loaded when I worked midnights at the gas station. Boss thought I was nuts.

Boolit Buddy
    hello guys!!! my first weapon was the Bernardelli mod 060 in caliber 7,65 browning....was also the one that bit me your hand

Boolit Master
    Yes great thread,
    My first was an 1851 Italian Navy in .36. I learned a lot from that gun (I was 15), and I have had several since. While I seem to be able to keep Peacemakers, 1860s Walkers, and anything else, I just can't seem to keep a Navy.
    The rules of the range are simple at best, Should you venture in that habitat, Don't cuss a man's dog, be good to the cook, And don't mess with a cowboy's hat. ~ Baxter Black

Boolit Mold
    My first handgun was a 1966/1967 era S&W M&P Model 10-5 .38 Special Revolver. Still have it, and don't plan on letting it go. I now have two more M&P Revolvers. One is a 1942 British M&P Revolver in .380" Revolver Ctg. (aka .38 S&W). The other is a circa 1943 US S&W M&P "Victory Model" .38 Special Revolver, the same type of side are my Dad had with him in the War.
    I have yet to get an automatic pistol, I just tend to like vintage revolvers for now.
    Mark
    USN 1989-1993, VF-302 Fighting Stallions, NAS Miramar, San Diego, SoCal.

I think it was a High Standard sport king 22cal fixed sights. Sold to a friend and when he died its now in my safe again.

In Remembrance
    A s&w m and p .38 special, someone nickel plated ....and gold plated hammer and trigger. Picked it up at 15 years old.
    I loaded home cast 158 rn, 358311 if I recall right, and used a Lee Loader. Learned to reload with that revolver.
    That would have been...1967.

But I remember shooting my first .45 acp not long after, a similarly nickel plated Colt 1917with GI ball....down at the creek. Scared to death, after all, it's a mighty .45...
    It was so gentle..

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by SGTM9 View Post
    My first pistol was a 45 caliber CVA Philadelphia Derringer kit. Came with every thing I need to get started including a 2 cavity brass mold. Still own it. Used to carry it loaded when I worked midnights at the gas station. Boss thought I was nuts.
    If that's all I had, I would have carried it too.

Boolit Master
    A Browning Challenger .22 Rimfire. 6.5" bbl.

First pistol I bought myself was AMT Backup .380 when I was 16. Paid $200 like new in box. Shot it very little, the shape of the backstrap would kill the web of your hand. Finally sold it a couple years ago and eliminated .380 from my stable
    And just for your info... casting with a single cavity is about as close as you can get to zero production, while still having some production. -- Whitespider

Boolit Master
    In the early 60's I bought a Ruger Bearcat .22 revolver from a friend. It was a fun pistol but was so small in my hand I had fits keeping it on target and eventually sold it. That was a regretful decision from hindsite, but back then the market choices and availability were much different than now.

Thin Man

Boolit Master
    T/C Contender in 30-30 Winchester... I still have it..

First repeating handgun I got was a 6" Ruger GP100... I still have it also.

Mine was an H&R .22 cal 9-shooter revolver, don't remember the model number. Terrible trigger. My ex-wife kept the H&R Sportsman, which was really a very good little .22 revolver. When I got back from Ft Sill in 1986 I had travel pay that was burning a hole in my pocket, and caused me to acquire the 6" Mod 19 Smith I still have.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free