Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Wideners
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Junior1942 cathead biscuit recipe

Boolit Mold

Junior1942 cathead biscuit recipe

Hey there:

In need of Junior's cathead biscuit recipe. I could not find it on his webpage. I am so glad Kim, his daughter is going to keep this great webpage up and running. Junior was a favorite person of mine, altho I never got to meet him.

If anyone has this recipe or can tell me where to find it, thanks in advance.

Best,

casper_zip

MISSISSIPPI
    DELTA CATHEAD BISCUITS
    They're called "cathead biscuits" because they should be about the size of a cat's head. They should be somewhat round on top and not flat like canned biscuits. Do not cut them out of rolled-out dough with the rim of a glass or with any other implement as every biscuit recipe I've ever read said to do. Roll them into a ball with your hands. Why make home-made biscuits if they look like store-bought biscuits?Here's the recipe for four cathead biscuits which will satisfy two hungry people. It calls for a Lodge Manufacturing8" cast iron skillet. For more people, double the recipe and use a Lodge 10" skillet. You'll need:

• 1 1/8 cup self-rising flour
    • 2/3 cup milk or buttermilk
    • 1/8 cup oil or bacon drippings

Step #1: Blend above ingredients in a mixing bowl.Step #2: Dump a hand full of flour on a pastry cloth or whatever. As you can see, I use a brown paper sack. Newspaper also works just fine.Step #3: As in the top photo, dump the blended dough onto the flour.Step #4: Pour a dash of oil into your skillet and smear it around with your fingers. Coat the inside of the skillet and the palms of your hands with oil.Step #5: Knead the dough for about 30 seconds, rolling it in the flour and thickening it.Step #6: Half the dough as in the middle photo. Half it again, making 4 pieces of dough.Step #7: Roll each piece of dough between your hands, making it into a ball, then put it in the skillet.Step #8: As you see me doing in this photo, use a spoon or a pastry brush and put a little oil or bacon drippings on the top of each un-baked biscuit. You're ready to start cooking.

• Preheat oven to 350°
    • Bake 25 minutes at 350°
    • Broil/toast for 1 or 2 minutes
    • Enjoy!

In Remembrance

It seems to me that this recipie needs some salt.

Boolit Master

You can't mention salt in the recpie, that would be unhealthy.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Moderator Emeritus

IIRC, self rising flour has salt in it.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRT Farmer View Post
    Yeah, and the bacon grease IS healthy?? REAL Southern cooking often starts with, To a half-cup of bacon grease add.....

"You know, and we all will probably die with something sooner or later." - Former Surgeon General Jocelyn Elders.

Shiloh

Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master

Wow !!
    Just made up a double batch. Didn't have self rising flour so had to make it.

1 cup flour
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1 1/2 tsp. baking powder

Used olive oil instead of bacon drippings and 2 percent milk instead of butter milk.

Thanks Junior !!
    Facta non verba

Boolit Master

Bacon drippings has the salt. Otherwise add some.
    Take a kid along

Boolit Buddy
    I guess I like a little more salt, so add the salt called for in addition to using bacon drippings. This mornings batch was excellent; but what more could you ask of a simple and quick recipe?
    Urny
    Elko County, the old heart of Nevada

Boolit Grand Master
    Pics. We need PICS!!

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRT Farmer View Post
    Funny you mentioned that. One of the "sodium alternatives" I've seen available, is Potassium Chloride. Same family of salts as table salt (Sodium Chloride). The funny part is that potassium chloride is more poisonous than sodium chloride. NaCL has an LD50 (median lethal dose 50% of the time) of 3000 mg/kg, while KCL is 2600 mg/kg. (milligrams salt per kilogram of rat)

IMO refined sugars are much more physiologically toxic than "sodium".

Boolit Master
    I'm on my 4th batch. I've found if you put enough butter in them you won't miss the salt.

Boolit Master

All of them good ingredients is the reason we eat better in the South than some of the bland dishes that I had to eat while travelling and working.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Grand Master

I got my Uncle's wonderful biscuit recipe , he had a little East Texas BBQ joint , the secrete ingredient was hog lard and he liked to bake them in a wood fired cast iron stove.
    I do them in my gas oven, but Uncle Howard did them best !
    Hog Lard....thats the ticket !

Boolit Bub
    Sounds like a winner...bacon grease makes EVERYTHING better...

I have never figured out how the North won the "late unpleasantness" with soldiers eating the slop they called food. I guess hungry skinny men fight better.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Moderator Emeritus

Wow! Since learning I'm diabetic, I've found that the two things that spike my blood sugar worse than anything else are biscuits, and potatoes. So I don't generally eat them. But about once a month or so, I'll allow myself ONE biscuit. Sorry, but total abstinence isn't in the picture for me. And I always turn them down unless I've been particularly chaste with my eating for the previous week. But when I DO eat one, you cannot believe the wondrous pleasure they provide for me! I don't think the Israelites appreciated the manna from Heaven any more! And I've become rather a splendid connoisseur of biscuits, even though I've liked pretty much every one I've ever tasted. I just can't practice my "expertise" very often now.

Some commercial establishments make "fittin'" biscuits, like KFC, Red Lobster, & Hardee's, but NOBODY makes better biscuits than good, homemade, and just like YOU like them. It's amazing how good some flour, grease and milk can taste, isn't it?

I haven't had a biscuit in over a month now, and I may just go get one tonight for supper! I'm afraid to make up a batch, lest I fall victim to their siren call! It's tough bein' diabetic, boys! REAL tough at times!

Moderator Emeritus

Well, just had my biscuit and I feel like I could curl up on the hearth and purr like a kitten. They don't call it "comfort food" for nothin'!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackwater View Post
    Well, just had my biscuit and I feel like I could curl up on the hearth and purr like a kitten. They don't call it "comfort food" for nothin'!
    Hope there was some gravy on it!!

Moderator Emeritus

Nope. When you eat them as seldom as I allow myself to, all you want or need is just a little butter. Mark Twain once commented that the tastiest watermelon is the one that's stolen, and for me these days, I always feel like I stole something when I eat a biscuit. And ya' know what? He was RIGHT!

Now you guys who CAN eat them at will go out and have a few, and tell me about it so I can at least get a little vicarious thrill out of it, will ya'?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast