MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLoad DataWidenersRepackbox
PBcastco Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any good hunting stories?

Banned

i'll tell one too.
    this is my first deer story.
    along in 1977 my pop, uncle and my dad's buddy went deer hunting.
    back then I could duck hunt but not deer hunt yet but wanted to go anyway.
    we get where we are going and my uncle and dads friend cut up both sides of a canyon, and me and my dad head over the ridge to the next draw.
    we see nothing all day, but on the way back I spot a smaller buck cutting through some willows down in the draw so we start throwing rocks down in there trying to push it up towards the other 2 hunters.
    my uncle sees it first and takes a shot with his 0-6 and puffs a hair ball off the deers back.
    of course the deer does not like this and starts back down the hill towards me and dad standing down in the dry creek bed.
    pop takes a shot with his 357 lever gun and hits the running deer in the back leg which just speeds the deer up and he is getting closer to us by the second.
    pop goes to take another shot and the rifle split the first casing in half which effectively jams the rifle making it a club.
    as the deer comes closer pop looks at me and says ' wadda you think?'
    'hit it when it goes by' I said.
    so there is my dad winding up a model 92 Winchester like Roberto clemente while trying to balance on a 8" log over the creek bed.
    the deer runs past pop swings and hits it in the throat.
    and I get trompled in the process, trompled is the only word I can use when a 200+ pound deer and a 180 pound man fall on top of a 13 y.o. boy.
    any-way I extract myself from the mess about the time the deer does and off we go down the creek bed.
    I finally grab a good sized rock and heave it at the buck, hitting him in the back of the head knocking him down long enough for me to get my pocket knife out and cut his throat.
    about this time dad comes limping up and just looks at me for a second then hands me a rope and say's tie this to his antlers and starts up the ravine we are in.
    I'm wondering how we are gonna get this deer outta the ravine when I hear the truck start and the deer starts moving up the ravine taking me off my feet one last time...

In Remembrance
    Just too funny, but I can see a 13 year old wanting the deer bad enough to get it with a rock. lol

Boolit Master
    I hunted for many years on a corporate lease for taking customers out hunting. The stories are endless and could fill a book. One that sticks out from the final years of those trips is 3 guys with only one gun from U of Texas, one was the son of one of the companies leasing this ranch. They managed to get 7 deer in 2 days, but a big winter ice storm blew in. Ever seen seven frozen deer and 3 college kids crammed into a Suzuki Samurai? They really wanted that venison. A few runners up are a customer trying to hunt in a loin cloth with a bowie knife, various city slicker encounters with wildlife, a shot up pickup, and a Mexican shooting a couple dozen turkeys with a machine gun from across the Rio Grande.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by texassako View Post
    I hunted for many years on a corporate lease for taking customers out hunting. The stories are endless and could fill a book. One that sticks out from the final years of those trips is 3 guys with only one gun from U of Texas, one was the son of one of the companies leasing this ranch. They managed to get 7 deer in 2 days, but a big winter ice storm blew in. Ever seen seven frozen deer and 3 college kids crammed into a Suzuki Samurai? They really wanted that venison. A few runners up are a customer trying to hunt in a loin cloth with a bowie knife, various city slicker encounters with wildlife, a shot up pickup, and a Mexican shooting a couple dozen turkeys with a machine gun from across the Rio Grande.
    Corporate hunts are sime of the funniest and scariest I have ever been involved with...

“THE ONE BOOLIT HUNT”

I’ll tell you about the time I went hunting with one bullet. I don’t like to be bragging about myself for nothing, you know, but I think I hold the world’s record for killing the most game with one bullet. It’s kind of an accident the way it happened.
    I was going hunting. There was an old gun hanging over the fireplace that had been hanging there for years and had been handed down from generation to generation. I got to scratching around in a drawer and found one bullet that fit that gun. I told my ma that I was going down to shoot that gun.
    She said, “Well, since you’re going down the holler to shoot that gun, reckon you could saw that old sapling stump off down there and put a bottom in it and make me a flour barrel?”
    I said, “Well, I guess I could.”
    So I hitched a sled up to the horse and went on down in the holler. I got down to the stump, and I looked at it a little bit, and thought, “Now, while I’m sawing on that stump, I’m going to throw my goose net out and catch me a few geese.”
    I throwed my goose net out and throwed me a little bit of corn under it, you know. I started sawing on that stump and had it about sawed off when I heard a racket over there. You ain’t going to believe this, but that goose net was plumb full of geese. You couldn’t have got another goose in that net. I gathered up all four corners of that net. Now you ain’t going to believe this, but them geese all started to fly at one time. They picked me up right off the ground. I was holding on, and before I knew it I was at the top of the trees. I thought, “Lord, I’ve got to let this go.” I got skeered.
    Well, I let that net go, and I fell down into a hollow tree about that big around. I fell into honey up to my waist, the most honey I ever seen. I was stuck in that honey. I looked up, and I could see the blue sky. All at once it got dark. It was a big bear coming down in there to get that honey. I thought, “Lord, what am I going to do?” I thought real quick, and I grabbed that bear by the tail. I goosed him and he pulled me plumb to the top of that tree. When I got up there, I gave him a big shove, and he fell off and broke his neck down at the foot of the tree.
    Well, you know, I still had that honey all over me. There was a creek that run by that tree. And I thought, “Now I’m going to get in that creek and wash that honey off me.” So I got in the creek and was washing that honey off, and something got in my shirt and was choking me to death. I didn’t know what in the world it was. It was so tight that it popped my top button off and killed a partridge sitting on the bank. It was a big 12-pound catfish that had got down in there. And I got that 12-pound catfish, and that partridge, and that bear. I put that honey in the barrel and put it all on the sled. I was getting ready to go, when I heard a racket.
    I looked up and saw all them geese hung up there in a big pine tree. I thought, “I’ll just cut this joker down.” So I cut that tree down. Now, you ain’t going to believe this, but when that tree fell, there was two buck deer over in a big pine thicket. When that big tree fell, it killed both of them buck deer in that pine thicket.
    Well, I got them two buck deer and them 21 geese and put them on the sled with that 12-pound catfish, and that partridge, and that bear, and that barrel of honey. And I had me a load. I was getting ready to go to the house when I heard another noise over there. I turned around and I looked. There was two turkeys up on a limb. Boy, I grabbed my gun real quick, and by the time I got it loaded, there was three more that had jumped up on the same limb. That was five turkeys. I loaded that gun and took aim. About the time I shot, I fell in a stump hole. I missed all five of them turkeys. You ain’t going to believe this, but that bullet hit three trees, ricocheted around three times, and killed all five of them turkeys.
    When I fell in that stump hole, that old gun was so old the hammer of it fell off and killed a swamp rabbit that was laying over there in the swamp. Well, I got the swamp rabbit, got them five turkeys, and put them on the sled with them 21 geese and them two buck deer, that 12-pound catfish, and that partridge, and that bear, and that barrel of honey, and I had me a load.
    I grabbed them lines, slapped that horse on the rump, and we started to the house. When that horse started to pull, it broke both trace chains. I thought, “Lord, what am I going to do with all this meat on here?” I thought real quick and I skinned them deer out and made me some rawhide straps. When I made them rawhide straps, I put them on the horse and hit that old horse across the rump. We headed to the house, and I never even looked back.
    Now look here. You ain’t going to believe this, but when I got to the house, that rawhide had stretched and left all that meat sitting down there in the bottom. Boy, I was mad! I hung that harness on a stump, went in the house, and went to bed. Now, you ain’t going to believe this, but when I got up the next morning at 10 o’clock, that sun had come out and drawed that rawhide up and sucked all that meat up out of the bottom.
    And if I had more time, I’d tell you about the time I went hunting with two bullets

Have a safe holiday

Dave

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I bow before you, sir. The first liar never stands a chance! Good thing we are still waiting for the first yarn stretcher!

Quote Originally Posted by dave roelle View Post
    “THE ONE BOOLIT HUNT”

I’ll tell you about the time I went hunting with one bullet. I don’t like to be bragging about myself for nothing, you know, but I think I hold the world’s record for killing the most game with one bullet. It’s kind of an accident the way it happened.
    I was going hunting. There was an old gun hanging over the fireplace that had been hanging there for years and had been handed down from generation to generation. I got to scratching around in a drawer and found one bullet that fit that gun. I told my ma that I was going down to shoot that gun.
    She said, “Well, since you’re going down the holler to shoot that gun, reckon you could saw that old sapling stump off down there and put a bottom in it and make me a flour barrel?”
    I said, “Well, I guess I could.”
    So I hitched a sled up to the horse and went on down in the holler. I got down to the stump, and I looked at it a little bit, and thought, “Now, while I’m sawing on that stump, I’m going to throw my goose net out and catch me a few geese.”
    I throwed my goose net out and throwed me a little bit of corn under it, you know. I started sawing on that stump and had it about sawed off when I heard a racket over there. You ain’t going to believe this, but that goose net was plumb full of geese. You couldn’t have got another goose in that net. I gathered up all four corners of that net. Now you ain’t going to believe this, but them geese all started to fly at one time. They picked me up right off the ground. I was holding on, and before I knew it I was at the top of the trees. I thought, “Lord, I’ve got to let this go.” I got skeered.
    Well, I let that net go, and I fell down into a hollow tree about that big around. I fell into honey up to my waist, the most honey I ever seen. I was stuck in that honey. I looked up, and I could see the blue sky. All at once it got dark. It was a big bear coming down in there to get that honey. I thought, “Lord, what am I going to do?” I thought real quick, and I grabbed that bear by the tail. I goosed him and he pulled me plumb to the top of that tree. When I got up there, I gave him a big shove, and he fell off and broke his neck down at the foot of the tree.
    Well, you know, I still had that honey all over me. There was a creek that run by that tree. And I thought, “Now I’m going to get in that creek and wash that honey off me.” So I got in the creek and was washing that honey off, and something got in my shirt and was choking me to death. I didn’t know what in the world it was. It was so tight that it popped my top button off and killed a partridge sitting on the bank. It was a big 12-pound catfish that had got down in there. And I got that 12-pound catfish, and that partridge, and that bear. I put that honey in the barrel and put it all on the sled. I was getting ready to go, when I heard a racket.
    I looked up and saw all them geese hung up there in a big pine tree. I thought, “I’ll just cut this joker down.” So I cut that tree down. Now, you ain’t going to believe this, but when that tree fell, there was two buck deer over in a big pine thicket. When that big tree fell, it killed both of them buck deer in that pine thicket.
    Well, I got them two buck deer and them 21 geese and put them on the sled with that 12-pound catfish, and that partridge, and that bear, and that barrel of honey. And I had me a load. I was getting ready to go to the house when I heard another noise over there. I turned around and I looked. There was two turkeys up on a limb. Boy, I grabbed my gun real quick, and by the time I got it loaded, there was three more that had jumped up on the same limb. That was five turkeys. I loaded that gun and took aim. About the time I shot, I fell in a stump hole. I missed all five of them turkeys. You ain’t going to believe this, but that bullet hit three trees, ricocheted around three times, and killed all five of them turkeys.
    When I fell in that stump hole, that old gun was so old the hammer of it fell off and killed a swamp rabbit that was laying over there in the swamp. Well, I got the swamp rabbit, got them five turkeys, and put them on the sled with them 21 geese and them two buck deer, that 12-pound catfish, and that partridge, and that bear, and that barrel of honey, and I had me a load.
    I grabbed them lines, slapped that horse on the rump, and we started to the house. When that horse started to pull, it broke both trace chains. I thought, “Lord, what am I going to do with all this meat on here?” I thought real quick and I skinned them deer out and made me some rawhide straps. When I made them rawhide straps, I put them on the horse and hit that old horse across the rump. We headed to the house, and I never even looked back.
    Now look here. You ain’t going to believe this, but when I got to the house, that rawhide had stretched and left all that meat sitting down there in the bottom. Boy, I was mad! I hung that harness on a stump, went in the house, and went to bed. Now, you ain’t going to believe this, but when I got up the next morning at 10 o’clock, that sun had come out and drawed that rawhide up and sucked all that meat up out of the bottom.
    And if I had more time, I’d tell you about the time I went hunting with two bullets

Have a safe holiday

Dave
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

One of the best i have ever heard---------------how are lube grooves doing with the oil issue

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dave roelle View Post
    So, was ma mad cause you didn't finish her flour barrel?

posted this here before but this is one that is special to me

First buck
    He didn’t do it with a cast but I still had to post it here, This is his first buck, we don’t get to hunt with each other much but we did this time and I will never forget it. I had seen this deer about an hour before and tried to get a shot at it but it dropped over a ridge and I couldn’t get a shot, I forgot to put a round in the chamber anyway. We had setup in different places where we thought it might go. About 20 min later I hear 2 shots that sound like they came from across the valley, I hear on my radio (what sounded to me, dad was that you?) I answered no not me, then I hear no dad that was me. I got one down, it looks like a good size buck, and can you get up here. I wasted no time in getting there. I get to where he is and find him standing over a very nice 8-point. My son is shaking and ask’s me Dad what do you think. I said I think it’s the finest buck I have ever seen. Then he tells me, Dad this is great getting a nice deer, but what makes it even better is that we did it together. It doesn’t get any better.
    Attached Thumbnails
    Last edited by Jjed; 12-19-2014 at 10:04 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Mighty fine buck!

In Remembrance
    Dave, it is a good thing you let the statue of limitations run out before sharing that one bullet hunt, cuz, them goose nets were not legal.

Rats !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!-------------------and i just got em out to dust off for the late "net season" here on the prairie-----------NOW WHAT

Vendor Sponsor

in 1979 on my first deer hunt .. Thompson Center 50 Cal muzzleloader and a borrowed home built climbing stand..
    Friend takes me to his Property.. About 1.5 Hrs before daylight we drive up the mountain as far as we can go on the road . Stop he points in a direction and says walk this direction till you hit the stream then find a tree to climb up in.. I did so .. having never climbed a tree before I had no idea how high I had gotten..
    Right at daylight I see I'm about 35 feet in the air.. on a deep incline.. decide I want to be a little lower. as I turn to climb down a little I hear the stand break underneath me .. Drop the Gun and grab on the tree.. I bear hug my way down as far as the inside of my arms can take then push off and fall to the ground.. Lucky I was on a steep hillside as I kind of hit and roll down the mountain a little

get up shake my self off a little .. Then clean all the leaves from around the tree so I can walk around/turn in any direction without making too much noise..
    30 minutes later a cow horn spike comes walking right up the stream bank at me About 25 yds away dead 90 degrees I pull the trigger.. Deer is hit in the spine . I have to cut his throat.. Pull him down the mountain ..

the whole way I am thinking how did I shoot so high ..

Lean the gun up against the Truck and proceed to skin him..

Look up and see the sun shining on the gun .. the entire length of the wooden stock is cracked ..From in front of the Wedge all the way back to the butt plate
    Gun was pivoting up as the rd was fired ..
    But for my first hunt I climbed a tree, broke a stand, fell out of a tree, did not break anything (except the gun ) and Killed a deer
    A true story

PS This was also My first cast bullet Kill.... Lee REAL 50 Cal
    Last edited by Smoke4320; 12-20-2014 at 11:26 AM.
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12