Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackboxReloading Everything
RotoMetals2PBcastcoMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Wideners Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any good hunting stories?

Any good hunting stories?

I have a fresh one. It's rifle season where I am now and I decided to check some high ground in a canary grass swamp. It has a stand of Popple trees that I wanted to check and see if one is big enough for a portable tree stand.
    After lunch I still hunted the area and saw a lot of sign and some beds but didn't see any deer. I went to look at the trees and some are getting big enough for a portable stand. I leave for the portable and return with the ATV. I put in the screw in pegs bring up stand and ax to clear a couple branches. I'm chopping away and a deer catches my eye. A nice sized spike buck is running across a field and heading right for me.

He slows down in the brush and walks in for a perfect shot and there I was holding my ax with the rifle on the ground. He was closer to my rifle than I was! LOL
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Master

I wish I could find another box of 30/06 ammo like my dad gave me some years ago. I have had one shot kills on 8 deer, 3 bear, 4 groundhogs and one redfox at ranges from 12 yards out to 600 yards, and I still have 14 rounds left out of the original 20!

That sure is some good ammunition, just wish I could find some more!!!

Now THIS is a real hunting story!!!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Banned

LOL! That's a great hunting story! Gave me a good chuckle for sure, thanks.

Boolit Master

Now that's funny!

Usually stuff like that happens when you have your hanging tool in your hands...
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy
    I'm excited that my wife went hunting by herself yesterday.
    I stayed home with the kids, and she enjoyed her evening hunt even if she did'nt see anything.
    I'm hoping it's a big step in her hunting career.

Boolit Master
    Went huntin' a long time ago. Them varmints shot back. It was exciting.
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
    Now that's funny!

Usually stuff like that happens when you have your hanging tool in your hands...
    That is the truth. I missed a chance (sure thing) at a nicer Texas whitetail than I ever took for that very reason, just as soon as I climed out of the stand.

Boolit Buddy
    Yesterday was my first rifle hunt this year. I have not even shot at anything but paper with cast so far and I was really looking forward to getting a deer with my 30.30 and NOE ranch dog cartridges. I have done my homework and can shoot minute of deer at 100 yards so I was ready to go.

Most of the public land around my area is bow only but there is one small place that is just a few hundred acres where I can use the rifle. I've only hunted it twice last year and don't know the area very well. I figured I would take the 30.30 and do a little sneaking around and scout at the same time for a future hunt. I found very few tracks but at least there were some. I kept going farther afield.

I found a nice funnel about 75 yards wide between a grown up field edge and an old cut over. It was loaded with oaks and I marked the spot on my gps. As I was punching in the data I was thinking there should be deer coming through here. When I was done with the gps I looked up and saw a doe doing the head bob at me. Easy shot at around 40 yards if I had been paying attention but no I had to fiddle with the gps. I watched her take at off at mach 2 and didn't try a shot.

I am going out with my church group to supper tonight so she has a day to calm down but tomorrow I plan to be set up and be ready for her. Hope to have a photo of my first cast kill to share.
    USAF (Retired) 1985-2005

I went on a "guided" hunt a couple years ago in Iowa that I won on a Friends of the NRA dinner. Hit a deer with my truck on the way there, and one on the way back. Never saw a shooter while I was actually hunting. My insurance agent was about the only one that didn't see the irony in that fact.

Boolit Buddy
    My dad got more deer with cars in a residential area than I did during the years I lived there! Three cars totaled. One deer was so full of poop that the car interior was destroyed as he broke the windshield.

Ed C

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141114_191146.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	121874

Thanks for the stories they are fun to read. Here's my luck this year. I'm relativly sure this is the buck I saw while I was chopping away in the deer stand. Last Monday we got about 16" of snow and I had Thursday and Friday off. It's unuaslly cold this time around for rifle season, it was zero degress this morning. This deer came by at last light Friday evening. The sled is a hood from an old Ford pick up.

It was a through the brush shot with a 45-70 Marlin, 46-405A mold with a 50/50 air cooled boolit at 1500 FPS using 2400 for powder. He went about 40 yards spraying blood out his left side and the top of his heart was missing.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Opening day of deer season and look who came to visit. I was out to my in law's and predators are a constant problem. Cutting down on the coyotes and fox usually boils down to a matter of opportunity. Unfortunately I don't think this pelt is going to worth much. Clearly 180 grains out of a .30-06 is a bit much gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Got to the lease too early, so decided to do a little fishing.
    I was about 100 yrds from the house/rifle, catching 1 and 2 lb bass when I heard a racket on the overgrown dam.
    Watched a small doe run from the dam to the spillway, stop and looked back, that was when I saw a nice 10 pt, heavy horns.
    Darn, no rifle, so decided to keep fishing. For about 20 mins, I watched that doe run back and forth from the dam to the spillway. First the 10 pt, then a 4 pt chasing her back and forth. So I decided to see if I could get my rifle and nail one.
    I went back to the house and drove my truck over to the tank and rolled down the window and waited.
    I didn't have long to wait when the doe came running out of the trees on the dam, followed by the 4 pt, I waited, then I saw the bigger buck in the trees and drew down on him.
    After I shot, a movement out of the corner of my eye caught the 10 pt going over the dam, heck, what did I shoot.
    Well apparently there was also an 8 pt and a 6 pt chasing her.
    Not bad for going fishing. LOL

My first deer with the 300BLK.
    125 gr Nosler
    18.6 gr of 4227
    CCI mag primer.
    Bullet pass through the neck.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141101_151232.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	139.0 KB 
ID:	122047

Boolit Master
    A buddy of mine's brother-in-law buys a brand new Tikka stainless rifle and puts a Zeiss scope on it for his very first hunt in Montana. Sure enough day two out walks a big ol buck and he nails him with a dang near perfect shot. Being too excited to wait for my buddy to get to him, and wanting a great picture of his trophy he props up the buck, braces the rifle in its rack and backs off with a camera to snap a photo. Disposable camera flashes, and said buck leaps to his feet and disappears WITH the rifle down the Milk river...

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Boolit Buddy

In 1963 I was taken on my first deer hunt by a family member. A few years later this family member buys a ruger 44 mag carbine. A few years ago I become the 4th person to own this rifle so, I used it this year. Opening morning I sat 45 min. and shot a 9 pt. went back 2 days later and shot a 6 pt. after sitting for 20 min.

My brother, brother-in-law, and myself were bow hunting together a few years back. We hadn't seen anything all morning and left the woods to have lunch. After lunch we headed back to the woods and split up to go to our stands. My brother-in law's was the closest stand and he got there first, so I was climbing into mine when my radio sounds "I just got into my stand and saw a buck walking down away from me, didn't get a good look though", I look over my shoulder and there's the buck, a nice wide 6-point, watching me climb. I watch him head down the hill.... straight for my brother's stand. A little while later my brother says over the radio "that buck came right bye while I was pulling up my bow from the ground.". We stayed 'till dark but didn't see any more deer.

Boolit Buddy
    My favorite deer tale is my first handgun kill.

It was quite by coincidence actually. We were hunting in the river swamp and had gotten into a group of hogs. I emptied my 30-06 BAR into 4 hogs and as I am reloading I hear water splashing behind me. I turn around and there is a 10 point standing 20 yards away looking the opposite direction. I knew if i slammed the bolt on my rifle he would spook so I slowly kneeled and laying the rifle down with my left hand drew my Colt Diamondback 38 from its holster.

I sent a 158 grain hollow point swc into the buck about 3 inches in front of his shoulder into the big part of his neck. He folded at the shot. He is the only buck I have ever mounted and he hangs in my office as I type this.

That was the defining moment in my hunting career. I realized I didn't have to carry a 9 pound rifle to kill a deer. I have killed a bunch since then and only a handful have been with a rifle.

I have never shot another with a 38, but I was thankful to have it that day!

Boolit Man
    Tell your insurance agent that two collisions make a comp.
    I'm a former claims adjuster. Yours may not see the humor
    in this.

In Remembrance
    My wifes uncle, who was a good friend of mine for several years before I met her, carried a rifle on a hunt for the first time at the age of 13. His dad beat it into his head to get his tag on a deer right off when he got one down. Sure enough he killed a buck (only one buck a year) and tagged it. The then when he got his knife ready to start field dressing it, his buck jumped up and ran off. He grabbed his rifle and gave chase, but didn't get another shot, when he topped the first hill he saw it top the next one. While he was running he heard a shot, and ran up to a hunter and his dead deer. lol He tried to claim it, but the hunter refused to hear it, until he said look, it has my tag on it. lol The hunter told him, well kid, if you can tag them on the run, you can have it.
    Joe is 67 now, and still catches some guff about that first deer. lol

Boolit Master
    I was walking along a wide trial in the woods hunting squirrels when I noticed one sitting on a large branch overhanging the trail. The squirrel was sitting with his back to me eating a Hickory nut. I had to cough and when I did the squirrel whirled around with a surprised look on his face. He threw both hands up, tossing the nut into the air and fell backward off the limb. The twenty foot fall didn't hurt him as he was gone in a flash after he hit the ground with a loud 'thump'! I was laughing too hard to shoot...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast