RepackboxReloading EverythingInline FabricationLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coleman stove-fuel

rancher1913, and your definition of a wet leg is......?
    Steve
    "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
    Life member NRA, USPSA, ISRA
    Life member AF&AM 294

Boolit Master

A fill line on your propane tank with a valve so that you can refill your 20 lb propane tanks at the house. It has a dip tube to the bottom of the tank to get liquid propane (a wet leg)

When I purchased my propane tank a few years ago, I made sure it had a fill line. It sure is handy to have. I have 3 20 lb tanks and never run out of propane for cookers or smelter.

Brad
    Last edited by BK7saum; 10-25-2015 at 09:06 AM.

Boolit Master

a wet leg is a line with a valve that goes into the "wet" portion of the tank and pulls liquid out. when you get a bbq tank filled they are using a "wet" leg to fill it. normal propane appliances use the gas off the top of the tank. sorry for the thread drift op.

I've been using normal gas in my Colemans with no problem to speak of for 4 or 5 years.

I'm another fan of filling off your propane bulk tank. We also have the filler attachment for the BBQ bottles to fill the small 1lb bottles. No more running out of any size bottle.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post
    Been using unleaded gas in my coleman for years, no problem.
    Just make sure to use the 100% gasoline, that ethanol **** is hard on the seals
    What if..... you woke up today with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

Boolit Bub
    Non-ethanol unleaded gas is available at y local service station, and is what I run in my pickup. Would no-ethanol unleaded be preferable for Coleman appliances as well? I know a lot of folks who swear it is much better for small engines (lawn mowers, weed eaters and such)

Boolit Master
    Yes. Not only can the ethanol attack seals and such (including any brass or copper parts in your stove); it also burns leaner than pure gasoline.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 6GUNSONLY View Post
    Non-ethanol unleaded gas is available at y local service station, and is what I run in my pickup. Would no-ethanol unleaded be preferable for Coleman appliances as well? I know a lot of folks who swear it is much better for small engines (lawn mowers, weed eaters and such)
    Not here in NH all has ethanol. To get non-ethanol you have to hunt. Most get the non at the the local small airport but it is Light lead.

I will buy the Coleman fuel for my stove and lamps, for the difference in price it is worth it to me as I use less than 5 gallons a year. Note I am not THAT thrifty.

Just as a test I've run a Coleman lamp on pure cyclohexane, but my test ended when the fuel froze(the stuff freezes at 43deg F)
    Where did I get it? easy the stuff is the standard calibration media for automated gas chromatography machines which were I worked were more common than coffee makers.

Because of it's melting and boiling points it is ridiculously easy to highly purify making it an ideal test media

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
    Yes. Not only can the ethanol attack seals and such (including any brass or copper parts in your stove); it also burns leaner than pure gasoline.
    Ethanol does not attack copper or brass METHANOL does that

Boolit Master

Back in the 1970s, my uncle used noting but regular unleaded in his Colman stoves and lanterns. I never noticed a difference between the odor of his or ours as dad used Colman fuel. In northern CA, non-ethanol is harder to find than hen's teeth, but a little easier in Oregon. When riding the Oregon Dunes, the only thing I run is non-ethanol, and all I they sell is premium. I ran a few tanks of regular %10 ethanol gas. What a difference between that and non-ethanol premium. I wonder if non-ethanol premium is too high of octane for a Coleman stove or lantern
    Last edited by fcvan; 01-10-2018 at 01:22 AM. Reason: Because I'm dum, d-u-m
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by TCTex View Post
    I just picket up a Coleman stove and had a fuel question. I don't plan on running any gasoline out if it. I don't mind the Coleman fuel, it is cheaper than the propane. But, is there an alturnitive to use that is just as good?

Thanks

Duane
    You can use regular gas no problem in any coleman stove just ad fuel injector cleaner as directed on the container what it does is keep the tube that goes from your tank to the burner from fouling or if you want to stay pro active no matter what fuel you use take it apart once a year and run a .22 cleaning brush through the tube you will never have any problems other than moving parts wearing out. like pump gasket.

Or you can get a propane conversion tube it replaces the tank and tube with a new tube with propane fitting I got one just so that I have options tested and it works great...

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Main thing I like white gas stoves for is that they work well in the cold. Propane, not so much. I hiked a lot of miles with the old Optimus 8R back then, bought another recently so I have a backup. Had huge logs dropped on it (replaced burner cup and fuel evaporator that clips into it, bent the pot stand wires back to shape.) Always use the pump I got for it, it helps turn it into a "full power almost instantly" heat generator. Only issue is, do not put your aluminum pot on it and THEN start figuring out where your water bottle is at (you'll melt the bottom out of your pot, friend almost managed that even after I mentioned it.) Butane / Propane are great in summer, easier to simmer gently on than the 8R is. Walmart sells stove fuel cheaper than Coleman's, also, one option.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fcvan View Post
    Back in the 1790s, my uncle used noting but regular unleaded in his Colman stoves and lanterns.
    I gotta call you on that one. I doubt your uncle is that old.

Marina gas around here is almost universally alcohol free.

But it is considerably more expensive than auto gas.

Boolit Master

Nor am I to remember how it smelled. oops (I'll fix that) thanks
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12