Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lyman slug modified

Lyman slug modified

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	slug1.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	11.3 KB 
ID:	121262Click image for larger version. 

Name:	slug2.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	15.2 KB 
ID:	121263Click image for larger version. 

Name:	slug new.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	12.6 KB 
ID:	121264i made these slugs but have not checked the for accuracy yet. In my last post "lyman slug 2" group at 100 yards" i will use the same formula for these
    i took a lyman 525 slug and drilled through it from the bottom. On a drill press i hit the center most of the time, the others went back to the melting pot. I then drilled a verry verry shallow hole in the top.realy only a funnel shape. Then i filled it with hot glue from the top. Now i have a slug that expands violently in wet news paper tested at 30 feet. Will be testing at 100 yards soon. If all goes well it goes deer hunting in my nef slug hunter light

Boolit Grand Master

Violent expansion, yes but what about penetration?

I have to ask why you would want violent expansion in a 12 ga. slug? They are already bigger than about any other projectile and one of the downfalls of typical Foster slugs is that they collapse and expand too much so don't penetrate well. That Lyman sabot slug seems to have a reputation of being a good game harvester as is due to the large meplat and solid nose.

Not saying expansion is a bad thing but expansion without penetration is.

I will be interested in your accuracy results but I think that modified slug would be better suited to a home defense round to avoid over penetration.

Longbow

Why not load them backwards and fill the back end with the hot glue? that way you dont cut down o the weight of the slug.

Doc

the bottom through the center and the top are filled with glue I fill it through the top . it weighs in at 415 grains. when recovered from wet newspaper after 8" it expanded like a ballistic tip bullet.it retained about half its weight. more than enough to blow through a deer.
    I have not run it over my chronograph yet but I am sure it picked up some speed and will give me a flatter trajectory. the recoil was much less. I will test for accuracy asap

Interesting...

Post pictures if you can... I would like to see

Doc

Why damage more meat?

Boolit Master

I would like to hear, and see, alot more on this. I have the Lyman slug molds in both 12 and 20.

HV
    Life's biggest tragedy is we get old too soon, and wise too late.

Name:	b3.jpg 
Views:	622 
Size:	9.8 KB 
ID:	121554Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b4.jpg 
Views:	626 
Size:	7.7 KB 
ID:	121555Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b1.jpg 
Views:	620 
Size:	4.6 KB 
ID:	121556Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b2.jpg 
Views:	623 
Size:	4.1 KB 
ID:	121557Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b5.jpg 
Size:	3.9 KB 
ID:	121558Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b6.jpg 
ID:	121559ok everybody here it is.i am not sure about it as a deer round. i think it will do great in a side classic shot. but a quartering shot might not make it into the boiler room would love some feedback on this. accuracy will be tested soon. here are the pics of 12" of news print . the rear portion passed through. the front part exploded inside. like a giant varmint round.

Boolit Grand Master

Try sandwiching a reasonable size bone in that wet newsprint and try again. I suspect when that slug hits a bone it will deform badly or tear apart and penetration will suffer.

I am still unclear on why you want expansion of a 12 ga. projectile, especially one that started out with a big solid flat nose.

Longbow

Boolit Master

Left side, Lyman 525, top 3 shot into sand, center unfired, bottom 2 hit a steel plate.
    No need to drill a hole, the slug WILL PREFORM.

The 4 balls recoverd from sand, the single on the right is a LEE key hole after hitting a steel plate.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

The lyman 525 flat nose is great deer round. As to why i am re-inventing the wheel its a lot of fun . It costs zero dollars i lowered my recoil big time. When i shoot it over my chrony i expect it will have picked up speed because it is aprox 90 grains lighter making it a flatter trajectory. As far as expantion, hitting sand is not the same as hitting liquid which is what all animals are made of. The lyman 525 will not expand much nor does any slug. Its just so darn big an heavy i have never had a deer run more than 20 yards with any slug always down that steep hill. If this keeps him on top of the hill it will make me very happy. Getting to old to drag up that hill good luck hunters

Boolit Master
    qd44:

Has this proven to be as accurate as the unmodified slug? I was wondering about drilling /threading one of these and placing a round headed bolt into the face of the slug to improve penetration/ ballistics. Haven't tried it yet as I'm awaiting the arrival of a DL 155 to start loading shotshells. I like your line of thinking on the thread with the sandpaper. Great idea!

have not tested on a bench but its good out to 50 leaning against a tree. steel head in a head is considered armor piercing

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the heads up! Won't go there.

Boolit Bub
    Have you tried loading them down to around 1300 to see if they are still accurate.

Shultz
    I have not tried them or messed around with the load. its gun dear/gun season in ny. I'm in rut! I fired a few rounds in the woods leaning against a tree. seems to hit where I aim. after gun season comes bow/muzzle loader season. then I start to get serious about this and other stuff

Boolit Bub
    The reason I ask is I am looking for a low cost 3 gun slug load. My gu` needs at least 1300fps to run right.

Quote Originally Posted by qkdraw44 View Post

Name:	b3.jpg 
Views:	622 
Size:	9.8 KB 
ID:	121554Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b4.jpg 
Views:	626 
Size:	7.7 KB 
ID:	121555Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b1.jpg 
Size:	4.6 KB 
ID:	121556Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b2.jpg 
Size:	4.1 KB 
ID:	121557Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b5.jpg 
ID:	121558Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b6.jpg 
ID:	121559ok everybody here it is.i am not sure about it as a deer round. i think it will do great in a side classic shot. but a quartering shot might not make it into the boiler room would love some feedback on this. accuracy will be tested soon. here are the pics of 12" of news print . the rear portion passed through. the front part exploded inside. like a giant varmint round.
    IMHO, you have destroyed the boolit's design, but technically accomplished your goal. I understand experimenting, I love to do it, to see what happens. Review the design requirements of a hunting projectile, then use this projectile as designed? Maybe your idea is meant for Urban Law Enforcement, regarding limited penetration & early disintegration.
    Been loading 6.5 CM for ELD, learning to load Mosin Nagant & .308/7.62x51
    Caster & CWW / Lead miner.
    Mountain Mold 45-70-405, 80% Meplat, sized .461" dia. for Marlin 1895GS
    Lyman mold #429421 "Elmer Keith" style 255gr, Dbl Cavity; [for .44 Mag, S&W 629, Alox lubed]
    Lyman #356402, 9mm, Sngl Cavity [for a friend]
    LEE #90282, 12ga Drive Key, 7/8oz Slug [for: Son's 3-Gun]
    LEE #90349, 452-255RF, 6 Cavity [for 45 Colt & 45 ACP; Alox lubed]
    LEE #90697, 453-200RF, ditto

Hello, this are Lyman's used on wild hogs and taken out during the butchering. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lyman.jpg 
Views:	278 
Size:	3.3 KB 
ID:	123460Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lyman1.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	3.5 KB 
ID:	123461

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast