Load Data PBcastco
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lyman 525 2 inch at 100 yards

Lyman 525 2 inch at 100 yards

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	slug target.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	121259Click image for larger version. 

Name:	slug pack.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	24.1 KB 
ID:	121260hi all, this is my formula for the lyman 525 slug plus a mod to the slug for the next trip to the range
    fiocci 3" hull,sand paper inside the wad is made from stick back sand paper folded over then punched out with a 1/2 inch pipe sb12 replacement wad ,slug edges rolled on a file and bottom filled with hot glue as i read here in the forums. The sand paper grips the bottom of the slug and the wad giving the slug a correct spin. A 3" shell is used to allow the slug to come 1/4" closer to the end of the chamber as it begins its travel. I use 44 grains blue dot. That is a 2 3/4 load. More than that is nuts because my gun is a nef hunter light. Only 5.5 lb. The blast will scare the deer to death next post see a "new 525 lyman slug"

Boolit Master
    Wow, great group! Are you saying stick back as in sandpaper with an adhesive on the back side? So the paper adheres to the bottom of the wad and the sandpaper face grips the bottom edge of the skirt? Just trying to make sure I understand what you are doing. sounds like a excellent idea. Are you using a fold crimp?

Boolit Master
    I just got the same mold off one of the members here, very curious about this load, although my chamber is only 2-3/4" We need more details.

In Remembrance

that is interesting! can you describe this part in detail:
    " sand paper inside the wad is made from stick back sand paper folded over then punched out with a 1/2 inch pipe sb12 replacement wad ,slug edges rolled on a file and bottom filled with hot glue as i read here in the forums. The sand paper grips the bottom of the slug and the wad giving the slug a correct spin. "

???

thanks!
    C-
    "...the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us. This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.” -N.Postman

no. the adhesive side gets folded in half so that you have a two sided sand paper adhesive in the middle. the i sharpend a piece of pipe on a grinder i think it was 1/2" an used it as a punch to cut out sand paper discs. the disc goes into the wad so when the charge lights it is all compressed and the spin on the slug is correct. knurling the sides helps but hot glue filling the rear cavity is critical

In Remembrance

So you use the sandpaper in lieu of glueing the slug to the wad?
    "...the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us. This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.” -N.Postman

Boolit Master

More pics please. I think we all got your idea, we just need to see where the sandpaper disc is in relation to the wad and slug.

I have both shotgun molds by Lyman, 12 and 20ga. I'm hoping that if your idea works in 12ga, hopefully, I can expect like results in 20ga.

HV
    Life's biggest tragedy is we get old too soon, and wise too late.

I put the disc of "double" sided sandpaper inside the wad no glue the slug goes inside the wad no glue. the slug is filled with hot glue in the base and hardens first so the sand paper only grips when it is fired. the main problem with the slug is that it spins "inside" the wad traveling down the bore. the object is to have it spin "with" the wad. only the wad is in contact with the rifling in the bore. the sand paper provides a grip to hold the wad and slug to spin together especially having so much pressure compressing it together. filling the base with hot glue I read in this forum is because the wad pushes up into the hollow base of the slug. definitely fill it I will post much better pics asap

Sandpaper addition is innovative... curious for more pics too. Have achieved excellent results without though. Hope to see more

In Remembrance

for 2" at 100yds, i know i want to see pictures! thats super accuracy

Name:	s2.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	72.7 KB 
ID:	122003Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s3.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	122004Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s4.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	122005Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s5.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	122006Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s6.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	122007Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s8.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	122008Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s12.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	122009Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s1.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	122010Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s7.jpg 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	122011Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s10.jpg 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	122012ok all, got pictures of what I am doing .discs of sand paper made double sided by folding a piece of stick back sand paper cut using a sharpened pipe. the disc is placed inside the wad. the rear of the slug is filled with hot glue allowed to harden and sanded or cut flat. as per another recommendation I read in this forum I laid the slug on its side and rolled it under a coarse file creating knurl marks on its side so it grabs the inside of the wad. it is inserted onto the wad. 44 grains of blue dot and it is assembled using a 3" shell. 44 grains blue dot is a 2 3/4 load, I use a 3" shell so the slug will not jump a gap before it hits the edge of the chamber. some people suggest reaming out the end of the chamber, I chose to try this instead of ruining a good barrel. phaessler says he got good groups without the sand paper. I did also but I never tried it on a good rest at a range. before this my only testing was in the woods leaning against a tree. this test was at an indoor 100 yard range on a sand bag rest. a warning to those of you using a light gun. it kicks like hell. my gun is a nef light. 5 1/4 pounds. I added a recoil pad and it helps a lot. sighting it in was not fun but as most of you probably know that when shooting at a deer you will not feel the recoil. good luck and happy healthy holidays to all

Best I ever got was with a Fiocchi clear 3" hull 44gn BlueDot; 12ga Gas seal; 12ga Flex Seal; Win AA red wad, just cup and petals; glue filled slug.
    Attachment 122016
    And yes that's 3 at 50yds.

Pete

Awesome group! I am new to shotgun reloading. I'm a pistol reloader and am just learning the components. Can you list the item numbers for the components you are using? Also, I do not quite understand what a Win AA wad "just cup and petals" is. Pics would be awesome. Also, what type of gun are you using? Thanks!

In Remembrance

ths for the pics, very clear now

Boolit Mold
    Very interesting. Are you using a 2-3/4" Claybuster wads or a 3" wads?
    Here's some pics of my homemade muzzle break I've used for some time to tame sabot loads on my Moss 500 rifled barrel.

Name:	Moss500MB1.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	122052Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Moss500MB2.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	122053Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Moss500MB3.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	122054Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Moss500MB4.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	122055
    The black lacquer paint shows some field and cleaning wear but is easy to touch up if desired. The brake can be easily removed if desired. This one is made from 12L14 1-5/8" round bar steel, but I have aluminum ones on other guns that work just as good. It's about 3-1/4" long with 1" wide flats on the top and bottom.

qkdraw44... here is the thread when I was experimenting, I have had 2" groups at 100yds and have pressure tested them. A lot of fun and definently a "bang-flop" scenario. Especially useful in Upstate NY

Pete

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-NEF-UltraSLug
    Last edited by phaessler; 11-17-2014 at 05:48 PM. Reason: added thread

Thumbs up

I think this thread should be a sticky: lots of great information here!

In Remembrance

Yeah, not alot of stickies on this subforum. but there are really several threads that woudl qualify in my book.

Banned

Good info, except for the use of Claybuster wads

I agree jmortimer, but with Winchester wads being discontinued almost 10 years ago, they make do.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast