Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: What is needed to fit this barrel?

What is needed to fit this barrel?

Hi guys I am going to by this barrel for my 1894.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/ad/882400.htm

I called numrich and they say its ready to go, just needs switching. Has the thread and chamber cut, as well as dovetails.

Obviously a barrel vice and an action wrench.

What about go and no go gauges, will the timing work out for all Winchester 1894 rifles are all slightly unique?

I am just concerned with head spacing and having it threaded to the correct point. My concerns may or may not be justified, I know nothing on this subject.

I have two friends who have changed barrels before, one said he could do it no big deal, the other that if the timing is wrong, you may have to take a touch off or shim it and if its a mile off rework the thread and cut a new chamber, requiring a chamber cutter. Which one of them is right?

Boolit Master
    Which one of them is right?
    You really can't know till you get the barrel and see how well it fits.
    Even if all these barrels would fit any receiver at the factory is no guarantee that the receiver steel at the face wasn't slightly compressed when first assembled at the factory.

Theres always some tricks to fit a barrel thats very slightly off, but exactly how you'd want to proceed depends on exactly how it does fit when you get it.

Boolit Buddy
    Definetely need headspace guage or take it to someone who has one. A Smith that has the guages, will be the type of person who can fit the barrel for you too!
    Check out my vendors section:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?231-Andy-s-Slow-Rust-Blue

"As democracy is perfected, the office of the President represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and complete narcissistic moron."
    H.L. Mencken

Boolit Grand Master

You may need to take a little off the breech face to get the headspace just right. For a rimmed case tha gauges are just shim disks and cheap so i wioud get a set. If the barrel turns up short of the mark you will be good to go as you can always take a little off the shoulder to get the right torque to the tightened barrel. If it turns pas I would use a lathe and turn off a thread and then rechamber and recut the extractor groove, but most of these are so close you can spin them in and tighten them up and be good to go. I always use a spacer in the 94 action when I clamp it with the action wrench to keep from warping the works but if the barrel is not to tight a fit you might be able to get by if you dont have to put too much pressure on it.