Snyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: How stinky is making 45/45/10 lube.

Boolit Buddy

How stinky is making 45/45/10 lube.

I need to make some but am thinking of doing it in the kitchen. I don't know how stinky it gets and don't wanna piss off the misses.

Mr. Bill2

Boolit Master
    It wasn't too bad, but I wouldn't suggest cooking on the kitchen stove...... Unless you like the couch I cooked mine in the shop.

Boolit Man
    Use a small electric hot plate outside or in garage or somewhere like that. Simple.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    "Smells like Victory"
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Buddy
    May be a good excuse to get a hot plate, old like one for a mold heater too.

Boolit Master
    Given the flammability of the fumes coming off the JPW...odor is your least concern. I make it (have lots of bottles of Lee Alox on hand) and love the stuff. But it's kind'a like cooking off a can of gasoline. No open flames and no enclosed area. We have had fires! If I didn't have the Lee Alox on hand I'd buy it already done. It's so cheap I can't justify the expense of buying the other ingredients or the hazards of making it. (although I have) A quart ($15 ?) should do literally millions of boolits. Audie...the frugal Oldfart.

Boolit Grand Master
    The JPW stinks when cooking down. Do it outside on a cheapy hot plate on a low setting, unless you like sharing sleeping quarters with the dog. And whatever you do, do not make Ben's Red in the house. SWMBO has yet to let me forget that foray into lube manufacture.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't remember it being that bad. But you should not make it indoors.

Boolit Buddy

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by zanemoseley View Post
    I need to make some but am thinking of doing it in the kitchen. I don't know how stinky it gets and don't wanna piss off the misses.
    I'd highly recommend doing this outside.
    The Vapors can mess with your head.
    Recluse himself, found that out.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...AY!&highlight=
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    Well I got about 9 ounces made on the second try. The first time was not so good. Being a ******* due for a lesson I set up my new $13 hot pan in my basement shop and put about 5oz of the paste wax. I turned it on high and set a timer. I figured I could run up stairs quick and get hit water to warm the Lee alox and a piece of Tupperware to tumble the bullets in. Didn't read how flammable this stuff is until now but I should have at least know better and set it on low if I was going to leave. I carried the burning pot outside to let it burn out as there was no putting it out. Second go around I was much safer and it went ok. I think once I use this up I'll just buy the quart since the Lee alox and paste wax isn't exactly cheap. I can use the left over paste wax around the shop on my cast iron tops.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Roosters View Post
    I forgot where that post was but think huntrick64's post should be a sticky highlighted in red ink. Wonderfully funny, clearly written and a fair warning to anyone making lube from any flammable material. I need to print that off and put it in my data log. Audie...the laughing Oldfart.

Boolit Buddy
    Oldfart it cracks me up every time I read it. You can just see it happening.

And like you said anyone new cooking lube should read it.

Boolit Master
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post1635884 The individual post for people who don't want to scroll. I laughed out loud the first time I read it.

No, I would not cook it inside. I like the smell but I don't like unconsciousness.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Yeah its pretty stinky. Cooked it inside once with all the doors and windows open, and still took a day to get the smell out.
    Went to a good will and got a cheap-o rice cooker, filled up with boiling water, and cook it down in a jar. gonna take a little while cause its cold out tho. The work sucks, but I love 45/45/10!
    Recycle, Reuse, Reload.

Boolit Mold
    Cook JPW the Texas way.
    In the summer, I just set it out on a table in the back yard.
    Put the can on a reflector of aluminum foil and set in the sun for 2 days.
    On the second day, while it is still hot, and liquid, mix with the other ingredients.
    M.