Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: Krag restoration

Boolit Master

Krag restoration

I have an 1896 Krag 30-40 carbine that I'd like to restore. I need a handguard, rear sight and barrel ring. Replacement handguards are available online for about $50. How are they are far as quality, fit, etc?
    If I don't find a rear sight (or don't want to pay the high price) are there any other sights from other models with the same dimensions (same with barrel ring).

Any of the various iterations of Krag sights will mount on any Krag rifle barrel. Be very careful and try to get the mounting screw as they are an odd ball french thread and can't be bought in an industrial supply house. They are the same threads as the Trapdoor Springfield 45-70. You can find these screws on Ebay, but they are pricey. There was a fellow selling reproduction screws for the Krag and the Trapdoor on Ebay. They work but for the Krag I had to turn down the heads and shorten the length.

As far as barrel bands go, I think the Krag is the only one that will fit properly. They are for sale on Ebay as well, but the prices keep going up. I used to buy them for $15.00 but the last one I bought cost me $50.00.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    Note also that a proper Carbine rear sight for a '96 carbine have become exorbitantly expensive. They are however the same size and shape as a '96 Rifle sight, but minus the "C" (for Carbine) stamp and slightly different range graduations. The rifle sight will work though. Be careful of sights with a counterfeit C stamp, too. Be aware also that even though screw threads are the same, and hole spacings are the same on all Krag sights, screw lengths vary somewhat depending on the sight for which they're intended.

Boolit Grand Master

John's Trading Post of Allen Nebraska has the parts you need as I just sold him some Karg stuf last year and I know there was an 1896 rear sight and small parts in the lot.

Boolit Master
    John's Trading Post has an original carbine rear sight (with the letter C) for a good price (thanks for that info). East Taylor, LLC has a correct repro carbine handguard. SS Firearms has a repro barrel band, and repro front and rear sight screws ($6 each compared to ridiculous price for original screws on ebay). I got a good deal on the carbine so it's worth it to restore it.

East Taylor will stand behind their product. I got one from him that didn't fit right once the sight was on. When it was on, there was a gap between handguard and stock on the right. He took it back, but wasn't too happy, said he wouldn't sell to me again. I had my sister buy the others that I needed from him, and they fit perfect. S&S was where I got a real crappy handguard. Real light in weight, staindrinking wood that needed a lot of sanding.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    I ordered the handguard from East Taylor and the repro band and sight screws from S&S. I bought an early Krag rear sight for cheap money on Gunbroker - the seller guarantees it will fit the 1896. I can see where the screw holes were filled in on the barrel - maybe I can open them back up.
    Here's a definite sign that I have too many projects going for my weakening mind to handle - I asked the same questions about restorations back in February. That was two Winchesters and a Swedish Mauser ago.

I haven't bought anything from these folks so I can't vouch for them but they seem to have a wide variety of parts.

http://www.ssfirearms.com/products.asp?cat=124

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by AggiePharmD View Post
    I haven't bought anything from these folks so I can't vouch for them but they seem to have a wide variety of parts.

http://www.ssfirearms.com/products.asp?cat=124
    I have used them. Excellent to deal with.

Boolit Master
    I received the handguard from East Taylor, LLC. It looks good but it needs some fitting. How far from the forward end of the side plate should the back end of the handguard be? I've been looking at photos online and it looks to be about 1/2" to 3/4" but it's hard to tell for sure. Any other point of reference as to how long the handguard should be from the barrel band will be helpful.

There can be a little variation there. I'm looking at two rifles, both with original handguards. One leaves about 1/16" of the receiver ring visible when viewing from the top and right side, the other only about 1/32". Ive also handled rifles where the rear was flush with edge of the receiver ring when viewed the same way.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    The receiver ring shows about 1/16" (if I'm looking at the right spot). The filled in barrel sight holes line up perfectly with the sight holes, the repro barrel ring fits perfectly - looks like I'm on the right track. Thanks for the measurements.