MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataRepackbox
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: Discarded/Dropped 22lr Ammo

Boolit Master

Discarded/Dropped 22lr Ammo

I do very little shooting at public ranges.
    Most of my shooting is done in old rock pits or logging landings.
    Most locals do their shooting there, as well.
    I don`t do a lot of shooting with 22 lr, but I like to practice my offhand shooting with my favorite Remington rim fire. Although I have a decent supply of 22lr, I pick up a lot of discarded/dropped ammo.
    I will NOT shoot ammo that has failed to fire because I had one rupture the rim exactly where the previous firing pin had struck the rim.
    Call me cheap but it works for me....dale

I'll pick them up also. The ones that didn't fire have the bullet pulled and tossed in with the lead pickups.

Boolit Master
    I have a few hundred range pick-ups that I have saved to shoot in my Single Six and have shot hundreds more range pickups. I don't shoot them in my nicer guns. I used to give the duds a second go but now just pull the bullets.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I was embarrassed to admit it before because a lot of folks frown greatly on the idea, but I've been picking them up for years also. I have quite a stash that we've been shooting lately, for just plinking.

My grandfather took me hunting when I was young, and dropped a 30-06 round in the dirt on accident while loading his rifle. He told me to never put a round in a rifle that had been dropped on the ground, and threw it away in the brush!

Boolit Master
    I pick them up. If they look fresh, and no hits on rim, I save. Shoot them when I get a bunch.

I pick them up and use them as long as they aren't mangled or corroded. When I used to hit the shooting ranges more frequently, I tossed them into a pouch on my range bag and when I got home looked them over a bit more closely before I'd decide to keep/shoot them or pull them apart.

Boolit Buddy
    I pick them up also, I'll load them in 22-45 with the previous dent rotated I give them 2 more tries then I save the rounds that don't go off and send them back to the manufacturer when I get say 100 of any particular head stamp with a polite letter saying that I have always used____ and was disappointed in these rounds failing "repeatedly" to fire and how have had such a hard time finding .22 ammo the last few years, usually get a gift certificate worth a small bulk box @ today's prices