MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Redfield micrometer sight on K98?

Boolit Buddy

Smile Redfield micrometer sight on K98?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	121176Anyone know anything about this sight ? I google and found they are for sale, but no real info on them? Any do's, dont's or other helpful advice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
    Last edited by shawnba67; 11-06-2014 at 10:04 PM.

Pretty good peep, IMHO. You'll spend a lot of money to get a modern one in steel of the same quality. The hole pattern has the same spacing as a modern William's peep but the positions of the holes are different, so you can use the same tapped holes in your receiver, but a William's peep may not let you close the bolt or else it'll stick out in into the ejection port, I don't recall which. For both peep sites, you have to loose your elevation settings in order to take the peep site off the receiver; a design flaw, IMHO. Your Redfield peep uses the same threaded aperture as the William's, so you be able to replace it if needed. (It's some real bazaar thread like 7/32"x40tpi. Good luck finding that tap!)

With the right aperture, you'll be able to hit a 5" diameter black pistol target at 100 yds or better. Here's a tip: If you're using a Military Mauser front site, remove it and put it in a vice. File the inverted 'V' walls vertical to make a standard blade. Blue and replace on back on the barrel. If you rifle has the hooded front site you can line up the hood in the peep for fast target acquisition.

Looks like your gun has an aftermarket trigger too. That's always a plus.

I hope this helps,
    Last edited by UBER7MM; 11-07-2014 at 01:39 PM. Reason: typo
    Uber7mm

Bambi: The great American hunting story as told through the eyes of the antagonist.

Boolit Master

Redfield sights such as yours are a very good piece of equipment.

Each index line for elevation and deflection on the slides is 3 MOA and each revolution of the knobs is 3 MOA. Your sight should be 1/4 MOA per click, but these figures are to some extent dependent on your rifle's sight radius. Knowing this, it is an easy matter, if you know your trajectory figures in MOA, to quickly re-zero your rifle for various ranges. Once you get your base zero established, you can also loosen each scale and slip it to read zero. If you want, you can also slip your knobs with the small set screw in them to also reflect zero.

Look up Merritt iris apertures at one of the larger outlets. With the hunting size (small total diameter) you'll have a great set up for target shooting, plinking and hunting.

I get by with the Mauser "Korn" front sight; but a blade, as noted above, is really the best. You can get an oversize blade front sight for Mausers at Midway. It's an easy matter to then file it down to what you need and adjust your base zero with your front sight height.
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 11-07-2014 at 12:50 AM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    I love mine on my Turked Gew98. The reason I went with the Old Redfield is that it is steel and had a patina to match the rest of the receiver.
    Easy to adjust and accurate

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Redfield70B.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	121191
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks a bunch fella's. I will have to look up one of those apertures, I thought it was missing something. At least wondered why they threaded the app hole! Any idea on a model number? Will I need that to get the right aperture? Thanks for all the help. I'm gonna try to get it shooting well enough to not need-want to scope it

Boolit Master
    I think standard Lyman, Redfield, Williams, etc. aperture inserts will fit. Marbles will not. Just have to determine what aperture opening size you want (.040, .050", etc.). One thing to watch for is the OD and set-back of the insert (as has been posted).

Have that Redfield sight on an M1950 FN (98)- excellent combination. Replaced the front with a taller blade to zero at shorter ranges.
    Last edited by fouronesix; 11-07-2014 at 09:36 AM.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    Quote Originally Posted by fouronesix View Post
    I think standard Lyman, Redfield, Williams, etc. aperture inserts will fit. Marbles will not. Just have to determine what aperture opening size you want (.040, .050", etc.). One thing to watch for is the OD and set-back of the insert (as has been posted).
    Yes I believe this is correct. I was at The Allentown, PA Gun Show a few weeks ago and I was talking with a vender call the "Sightman" ( Ken Bean) He told me that most of the apertures are interchangeable ( except Marbles) I bought another Old Redfield target sight off him and a few add'l Aperture disks. I always carry a set of different hole diameters in my range bag to compensate for lighting conditions.
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

You sight is a Redfield 80 which is a very good vintage receiver mounted click adjustable peep sight. The Redfield 70 was another model that cost a little more. The only real difference was the 70 had a button that when depressed could allow the slide to be removed without cranking it out all the way to the top. The 80 requires the slide to be cranked out and replaced the same way.

Keep the sight clean and lubed with a drop or two of light machine oil from time to time. When you replace the slide, be careful you don't cross thread it as you get it started down again.

In theory the Redfield and Lyman aperture discs will interchange and they will to a point. When a Redfield disc is placed in a Lyman sight, it will stop short a few threads of going all the way through. On the other hand a Lyman will thread all the way through a Redfield sight.

The Redfield was a very good sight on the range and in the field, but the Lyman 48 was the Rolls Royce of such sights and cost considerably more on the used market these days.

I started my rifle shooting with such aperture sights and could shoot groups as small with one as I could with a scope. I still can use them very well in spite of my 72 year old eyes.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    You sight is a Redfield 80 which is a very good vintage receiver mounted click adjustable peep sight. The Redfield 70 was another model that cost a little more. The only real difference was the 70 had a button that when depressed could allow the slide to be removed without cranking it out all the way to the top. The 80 requires the slide to be cranked out and replaced the same way.
    Char-Gar: I think you got those reversed. None of my 70's (I have beaucoup) has a release button. I think the 80 series and the Trophy series has the release, and the Trophy sights that I have seen are aluminum.

Respectfully,
    Bob S.
    USN Distinguished Marksman No. O-067

It's REAL ... it's wood and steel!

Boolit Master
    Mine has the release button, and a tiny set screw that acts as a stop to arrest slide movement when dropped back in, thus retaining proper elevation over repeated removal cycles. I have it mounted on a 98 Mauser .30-06 sporter, where coincidentally when it rests all the way down onto the charger hump on the bridge, is perfect elevation-wise for my 150 yard zero (it has a relatively high front ramp with blade sight). I use it in conjunction with a G&H QD side mount, and both the sight and scope return to dead nutz zero every time they are removed/installed.

I have a couple Lyman 48s in my junk drawer patiently awaiting use on future projects, but in all honesty, I feel the Redfield is a perfectly satisfactory receiver sight for hunting use. (One of the 48s is going on my soon to be completed Krag sporter project.)

I left the charger hump intact on these as I mainly carry them with the sight in place (it needs to be removed to use the scope), and I like the ability to speed load with a 5 round clip.

EDIT: OMG, I just remembered that the Redfield is on another similar 98. This one is a Lyman 57. Oops, my bad. No pics of the the other Mauser in Photobucket at the moment, so I guess I'll leave this stand. I will stand behind my opinion of the Redfield however.
    Last edited by gnoahhh; 11-07-2014 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob S View Post
    Char-Gar: I think you got those reversed. None of my 70's (I have beaucoup) has a release button. I think the 80 series and the Trophy series has the release, and the Trophy sights that I have seen are aluminum.

Respectfully,
    Bob S.
    That is entirely possible I flipped those model number in my head. Such has been known to happen.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by gnoahhh View Post
    Mine has the release button, and a tiny set screw that acts as a stop to arrest slide movement when dropped back in, thus retaining proper elevation over repeated removal cycles. I have it mounted on a 98 Mauser .30-06 sporter, where coincidentally when it rests all the way down onto the charger hump on the bridge, is perfect elevation-wise for my 150 yard zero (it has a relatively high front ramp with blade sight). I use it in conjunction with a G&H QD side mount, and both the sight and scope return to dead nutz zero every time they are removed/installed.

I have a couple Lyman 48s in my junk drawer patiently awaiting use on future projects, but in all honesty, I feel the Redfield is a perfectly satisfactory receiver sight for hunting use. (One of the 48s is going on my soon to be completed Krag sporter project.)

I left the charger hump intact on these as I mainly carry them with the sight in place (it needs to be removed to use the scope), and I like the ability to speed load with a 5 round clip.

EDIT: OMG, I just remembered that the Redfield is on another similar 98. This one is a Lyman 57. Oops, my bad. No pics of the the other Mauser in Photobucket at the moment, so I guess I'll leave this stand. I will stand behind my opinion of the Redfield however.
    I covet that rifle!!! It has everything I like, i.e. perfect caliber, double set trigger, butter knife bolt handle, peep sight, G&H detachable mount with a low fixed power scope, walnut and blued steel.

I have two Krags with Lyman 48s (one long slide and the other regular) one Krag with a Pacific receiver sight and yet another with a Redfield. I have a Lyman 48 on a Springfield sporter and a Redfield on a Mauser Sporter. All of my leverguns are fitted with Redfield 102s. I have only three scope sighted rifles, favoring peeps for most uses.

Boolit Master
    Char-Gar, I always suspected we had similar tastes in rifles! This one weighs 6½ pounds, minus scope, and is a joy to carry and is scary accurate. Trouble is it is downright brutal with factory loads- but who shoots factory loads when one has a drawer full of .30 moulds?!

The other Mauser has the Redfield 80 and a G&H mount too, holding a Lyman Alaskan. This one is a late 40's K2.5 that I had refurbished a few years ago.

I have a Redfield No-Drill sight for a Krag waiting on a "donor rifle". Was gonna use it on the current project until a NIB Lyman 48 fell into my lap. The Pacific is another really good Krag sight. Had one on a rifle back in the 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by gnoahhh View Post
    Char-Gar, I always suspected we had similar tastes in rifles! This one weighs 6½ pounds, minus scope, and is a joy to carry and is scary accurate. Trouble is it is downright brutal with factory loads- but who shoots factory loads when one has a drawer full of .30 moulds?!

The other Mauser has the Redfield 80 and a G&H mount too, holding a Lyman Alaskan. This one is a late 40's K2.5 that I had refurbished a few years ago.

I have a Redfield No-Drill sight for a Krag waiting on a "donor rifle". Was gonna use it on the current project until a NIB Lyman 48 fell into my lap. The Pacific is another really good Krag sight. Had one on a rifle back in the 80's.
    The Lyman 48 is a fine sight for the Krag, but it does require thinning the side plate to the rear of the big attaching screw. A milling machine would be nice, but I just ground the area on the bench grinder and filed it flat followed with a polish by emery cloth on the file.

Yes, we do have very similar tastes in rifle...good tastes I might add.

Boolit Buddy
    Does any one make a replacement elevation knob? I cant turn mine with my fingers and think it would awesome to crank up some elevation and wow my buddys out past normal iron sight range (it loses its cool when the screwdriver comes out)

Quote Originally Posted by shawnba67 View Post
    Does any one make a replacement elevation knob? I cant turn mine with my fingers and think it would awesome to crank up some elevation and wow my buddys out past normal iron sight range (it loses its cool when the screwdriver comes out)
    The knobs on your sight in the picture were not designed to be turned with your fingers. They were designed to be turned by inserting a quarter coin in the slot on top of the knob. Would the sight "lose it's cool when a quarter comes out", I shouldn't think so?

There are several variations of the Redfield Receiver Sights. 70 series 80 series and 102 series, and probably more I'm not aware of.

The 70 Series is the basic sight. The 80 series includes the quick release feature like the Lyman sights have.

Both can have the most coolest of all features of the Redfield Sight family. The Target Knobs!

The 102's are mostly Target Rifle style sights and usually have specialized mountings.

There are also versions for flat sided Leverguns and round sided Bolt Action guns. Also there are mirror image bridges to accommodate right or left handed mounts.

Most people don't realize just how cool those knobs are, and what it takes to make them. First, knurling a curved surface is no small accomplishment. Second all of those round head knobs have between 8 and 12 little bitty holes in the base that create sockets for a ball detent system that works really well. (as long is it is kept clean.) Third,,, they just look bitchin'!

On a .30 cal Rifle the Series 80 would be my pick as you can slip the slide up or down for gross elevations changes, and then return to "Mechanical Zero" where the set screw stop is set. This or a Lyman Sight with the target knobs installed are my first choice for all my Cast Boolit Rifles.

I get a great deal of satisfaction using these sights and encourage everyone to learn how to use them effectively. I have gone into great detail explaining this on several posts and am not going to repeat it here.

What I will say,,, is that "YOUR OLD EYES" have little to do with effective use of these Sights. If you size your aperture correctly (Merit Adjustable Sight Disk!) it will focus your Front Sight Perfectly.

That's all you need to focus on!

It is surprising that people did just fine with these sights prior to the 1950's and 60's when optical sights finally became reliable and affordable enough for the average shooter to have and use.

Prior to that era, plenty of "OLD Eyes" were very successful at shooting at everything known to man with Open or Receiver Sights. When you consider that Open Sights have been installed on most rifles and pistols for 400+ years one would think that they must have some use. Receiver style Peep Sights have only been around for about 100 years and they took non optical sighting to a new level and you'll notice virtually every Battle Rifle made in the last 60 years has that sighting system. There must be a reason.

I'm here to tell you that you too can be successful if you are willing to learn how and practice the techniques.

I guarantee that you will derive lots of satisfaction from learning and using this knowledge, and especially so with shooting Cast Boolits. They just seem to go together well.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnba67 View Post
    It's been a year or several since I had one apart, but IIRC be very, very careful to not lose the spring or detent ball. Could be the ball or spring is catywompus inside or maybe rusted. They are positive, firm click but should turn easily with a coin. If all is well inside- then clean, add a little thin machine oil and re-assemble.

Boolit Master

Don't think it will work on my Mosin...yet!

Think mebbe It'll need further adjustment...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails boltwsight3.jpg.jpg   boltwsight2.jpg.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    The Lyman 48 is a fine sight for the Krag, but it does require thinning the side plate to the rear of the big attaching screw. A milling machine would be nice, but I just ground the area on the bench grinder and filed it flat followed with a polish by emery cloth on the file.

Yes, we do have very similar tastes in rifle...good tastes I might add.
    Yeah, I altered my side plate exactly the same way. I figured by the time I got the mill set up and the cut made, I could have it done by hand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast