Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: what powder measure doesn't leak?

Boolit Master
    Uniquetek makes a very nice powder draining tool for Dillons measures. It will also make changing charge bars a snap. If this was out over two decades ago, I would have bought one measure not four, each with its own powder bar ranging from xsmall, small, large and xlarge. Bought one today at the shoot in Arizona. They were there, plus Dillon, Redding, and Starline as well as Berrys bullets help sponsored the event. The RCBS ChargeMaster has a drain on the right side that easily empties the powder hopper back into the can. JDS is very easy to empty also.

kudos to UniqueTek!

take care

r1kk1

Boolit Master

I use a Hornady LNL case activated powder measure on my Lee Loadmaster and have been loading Accurate #7 of late and haven't noticed any leakage with it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by UNIQUEDOT View Post
    You turn the hopper on the Lee to shut off powder flow before removing it.
    Thanks for the info. I hadn't realized that. It probably was in the manual, right? I probably should consider reading the manual on things that I buy, but I figure if I did, I would have to give up my "guy card".

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range
    I have reddings,lymans, rcbs, harrells and a lee none of them have ever leaked with even really fine grain powders

Quote Originally Posted by kbstenberg View Post
    Kungfustyle you are correct about the Lee powder dispenser, as they come from the factory. But if you spend 5 minutes smoothing the rotor with valve lapping compound The Lee Will NOT LEAK any powder.

Lee actually recommends you run a pound of powder through the Perfect Measure. That gets some of the graphite from the powder on the measures working parts.

Still prefer my leak free Dillon powder measure.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dudel View Post
    Lee actually recommends you run a pound of powder through the Perfect Measure. That gets some of the graphite from the powder on the measures working parts.
    The only leak that I have with my Lee powder measure is when I forget to put the brass up to the Powder Through Expander Die and then dump the powder into the funnel on top of the die.

The only answer is to lap the surfaces inside the barrel. This morning when I dropped about 50 charges I had powder coming out below the measuring cylinder. It was a real mess. I took the powder measure apart and put some jewelers rouge mixed with a tiny bit of olive oil onto the two surfaces that mesh inside. I found a #6 machine screw and cut the head off. Added a nut and washer to the screw and screwed the threaded rod into the powder measure. I secured the threaded rod into my drill motor and turned it while I held it in my hand for about 3 minutes. I applied as much pressure by pulling the outside into the inside, as I could during this lapping process. AFTer three minutes I took the whole thing apart and looked to see if the abrasive lapping compound was evenly distributed. If it was I was done, if not and there were patches of compound I reassembled the mechanism and spun it some more. The photos show the set up and the end product after it was cleaned with alcohol, Q tips and cotton balls.Attachment 187302Attachment 187303Attachment 187303Attachment 187304

Attachment 187301The best part is after two sessions It no longer leaks..Lapping compound is available at your auto parts store, at Harbor Freight, Home Depot and many places.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Quote Originally Posted by bbogue1 View Post
    The only answer is to lap the surfaces inside the barrel. This morning when I dropped about 50 charges I had powder coming out below the measuring cylinder. It was a real mess. I took the powder measure apart and put some jewelers rouge mixed with a tiny bit of olive oil onto the two surfaces that mesh inside. I found a #6 machine screw and cut the head off. Added a nut and washer to the screw and screwed the threaded rod into the powder measure. I secured the threaded rod into my drill motor and turned it while I held it in my hand for about 3 minutes. I applied as much pressure by pulling the outside into the inside, as I could during this lapping process. AFTer three minutes I took the whole thing apart and looked to see if the abrasive lapping compound was evenly distributed. If it was I was done, if not and there were patches of compound I reassembled the mechanism and spun it some more. The photos show the set up and the end product after it was cleaned with alcohol, Q tips and cotton balls.Attachment 187302Attachment 187303Attachment 187303Attachment 187304

Attachment 187301The best part is after two sessions It no longer leaks..Lapping compound is available at your auto parts store, at Harbor Freight, Home Depot and many places.

Good job.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Master

I really like my SAECO measures

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...asure&_sacat=0

Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

No leaks on my Hornady or franklin rotary measures. Except when I forget that I left the drain tube in the Hornady and fill it with a new powder. That's a HUGE leak!

Never had any of my Hornady measures leak, even with AA#9.

Boolit Master
    The best* one available is the Neil Jones. CPS. Then, the Harrell.

Rich

* that based on attending over 200 bench rest matches since 1989. Including the Super Shoot.

Get the Jones, learn how to make an Idaho Spreadsheet (ISS)**, and go happy; at the range or at home.

** ball powders, especially, measure very consistently. Get a sheet of graph paper, and sit down at your bench with the measure and powder in hand. Zero the measure, drop three charges to settle the measure, then drop five more and average. I just drop the five charges in the scale pan, and divide the total by five. Crank the measure up ten units, drop three to settle it, then repeat the five charges test. Start your graph points at the bottom left, and watch them climb higher and to the right as you make your ISS. The left to right curve is measure settings. Bottom to top is powder charge in grains. Connect the dots you made at each setting, and you can then utilize your ISS to set the measure for any powder charge/weight down to 1/10th of a grain.

I learned this at my second J-bullet Bench Rest match back in 1988. Guys shooting the 6PPC cannot usually tell you their exact powder charge. They don't care. My first Super Shoot I heard shooters asking each other if they had "A good number" for a new lot of powder.

Rich

Boolit Master

I have nine measures from different makers that don't leak. None of them are Lee.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    RCBS,Pacific,Dillon powder measures. Never had a leak.Just my .02.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Master
    My Dillon's are at least 25 years old and have never leaked.

Boolit Master

I have a Lee that doesn't Leak and never has throws the same with any powder that I use from TiteGroup to 800x.It may be an exception but I would not trade it for any other.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by w5pv View Post
    I have a Lee that doesn't Leak and never has throws the same with any powder that I use from TiteGroup to 800x.It may be an exception but I would not trade it for any other.
    +1 for the Lee PPM!
    My measure doesn't leak with any powder and it throws consistent charges.

If you set it up as per the instructions there should be no issues.

ukrifleman

Boolit Master
    2 RCBS Uniflows don't leak.

I once had an old Bair and an old Herter's and they did not leak either.

The Lee Auto disk leaks all over the place.
    EDG

Banned

easier answer would be which does leak. LEE

Banned

"(SIC) easier answer would be which does leak(SIC). LEE

Lee makes a couple few measures and they don't all leak. Right now I have been using the Auto Drum primarily and it can be set up not to leak, but you have to get it dialed in just right. Really liking the Auto Drum. My Redding 3 has not leaked. People who are ignorant and have never used all of the Lee measures would likely just say something reflexive and stupid, typical of someone forming an opinion without any basis. The very definition of ignorant.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast