MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackboxLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: Removing .225 boolit sizer die from Star

Boolit Master

Removing .225 boolit sizer die from Star

So ... how do you remove your .225 boolit sizer from your Star? The usual die removing tool from Lathesmith is larger than the hole in the .225 sizer. Here's how I did it. I drilled a 5/16ths hole in a 2"X6" that is about 3' long. I left the boolit in the die so I could eyeball it in the center of the drilled hole more easily. Then I marked the mounting screw holes and drilled 5/16ths holes for them. Then I took 3 sockets of equal length (bolts must reach through the 2"X6", the sockets and the Star mounting base - the Star is mounted on top of the sockets). Using the 3 sockets and all-thread bolts through the drilled holes, I used a 4th shorter all thread bolt with a nut on it on top of a washer which was on top of the 2"X6" and turned the nut toward the end of the bolt to raise the sizer die out of the sizer body. That last bolt has to be figured out first before the Star is mounted on top of the sockets. Took a while and there's probably an easier and better way to do it, but it worked. BTW, the sizing die is counterbored at the bottom so you don't have to worry about damaging the sizing portion of the die - but the head of the bolt must be less than the 3/4" (.750") hole into which the die fits in the Star body. So, how did/do you do it? Big Boomer
    Last edited by Big Boomer; 11-06-2014 at 08:54 PM. Reason: correction

ADMIN

I turn on the heater and push it out with my finger
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Turn on the heater, use a 3/4" dowel to place on the bottom of the die and gently tap dowel with a hammer if the die won't just push out by hand.

Boolit Master

I forgot to mention that my .225 and .3105 Star sizer dies that Lathesmith made for me are a little tighter than any of the others and will not push out, heated or not. That's what brought all of this on. Big Boomer

Mount your Star on a plate use a transfer punch to transfer the die bore center to the plate. Drill and tap the hole 5/8-11 or something close. From the bottom side of the plate screw a 5/8" bolt in and push the die out with the bolt. You can leave a boolit in for quicker punch setup the next time you use that die. I can get dies out with fingers only on the bolt using CAR RED when cooled, if really cold 58 to 60 F I may need a small wrench just to get it started.

Boolit Master
    I use an extraction tool that I made, It's about .190" diameter.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Quote Originally Posted by Big Boomer View Post
    I forgot to mention that my .225 and .3105 Star sizer dies that Lathesmith made for me are a little tighter than any of the others and will not push out, heated or not. That's what brought all of this on. Big Boomer
    Do you have a micrometer? Measure the two surfaces on the die. I think I make my dies at 0.744" +0.000 / -0.001 before heat treat. The O.D. will increase slightly and the I.D / bore will decrease in diameter after heat treating. I found if they are close to .748" they are hard to insert. Also if the two pilot diameters are not concentric that would cause a bind depending on the amount of eccentricity. I would assume they were turned with one setup so that should not be an issue.

First thing is to use copious amounts of Vaseline or grease on the O-rings before installing die into press.

Boolit Master
    Send the dies back and Lathesmith to polish the exterior if they are oversize. He's a great guy and makes the best products!! I only use his stuff as do many on here because of the quality.

Boolit Master

If I am not mistaken, this Star has been primarily used by me ... the original owner did not use it and the guy he sold it to, an old friend of mine, just couldn't figure out how to adjust the punch height in relation to the lube holes in the sizer dies - that's why I got it at such a good price. To be so old, it is very tight - no slop, abuse marks or dings. The other sizer dies go in and out handily, but the .225 and the .3105 are tight. It is not worth worrying about it that much now that I have it figured out. I just thought others might have the same problem. Apparently this is not a widespread problem among Star owners. Big Boomer