RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: 357 190 rd with 2400

Boolit Master

357 190 rd with 2400

I have this cute-ugly H&R topper I put a 357 tube in it. I have been working with 2400 alliant and very happy with 12 gr pushing the RD190 cast at 195 gr. I decided to keep going keeping a good eye on pressure signs and I got up to 15 gr all is well except the gun is now lifting 6 inches off the front rest and it really is roaring. I stopped because common sense said stop but I still wonder how high I still could go. FPS has nothing to do with this as I simply wanted to see how the cartridge (primer-extraction of shell) react and when does the accuracy go south. No, I am not trying to make a 357 max or a 35 rem outta a 357 just searching the potential of this load. Every thing extracts and all look the same as a phart load. I simply am wondering if any one else worked this high or??? Please don't tell me what an idiot I am doing this as I all ready know that!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    I have done a similar test in my Ruger #3 rebarreled to 357mag. I used the Lyman 358315 210 gr bullet. I got it up to 1500 fps using both 2400 and 296 powders. I know it was over the accepted max pressures. Easy extraction, with no visible pressure signs. I stopped there, knowing I could still go more if I wished.

Ruger #3's, as well as the H&R, are chambered for cartridges at the 55 to 60K pressure ranges, so strength of the gun is not the question. The weak link is the 357mag case, which was never designed to handle those kind of pressures. Bad things can happen to the 357mag case at these top pressures. I would not tempt fate any further. The load you have is capable of taking any big game, short of the big bears in the North American continent.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    If accuracy and reliable shot placement on game is the goal, why push the limits to see how hot you can load before you blow the gun up?

Your 12 grain charge of #2400 is a full charge with a 190-grain bullet in .357 Magnum. I use the same load. It is accurate and will shoot clear through deer on raking shots. The big flat nose does not need to expand. Sometimes you should quit while you are ahead.

Boolit Grand Master
    Probably because some of us just have to see what the gun will do. Taking it until extraction becomes a bit sticky, then back off to a more sane level. Not with all guns though. An H&R topper, I wouldn't do it, but a NEF on an SB2 frame, might see what happens. Same as taking out the car and just having to see what it will do.(disclaimer--that was a long time ago)

If you want to see what the .357 can do read John Taffins reports on the FA model 353.

Mugs
    Shoot only Cast Bullets!

Boolit Buddy
    Picked up some 700X yesterday for 357 125 cast loads. It is a "fluffy" powder and plan to run max powder loads for some just to see how it chronys. Anyone use it?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mugs View Post
    If you want to see what the .357 can do read John Taffins reports on the FA model 353.

Mugs
    I have one, he's not kidding. Same thing applies to any strong gun. Just because SAAMI limits pressures due to light duty, weak guns, does not necessarily mean the cartridge isn't capable of more in the right firearm.

Boolit Master
    dubber, whats it like to shoot? How long is your barrel? That is an awsesome article and kinda makes me want to get another carcano and convert to 357. I am not interested in the limits of the 353 but alittle more then a 357 would be interesting!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nekshot View Post
    dubber, whats it like to shoot? How long is your barrel? That is an awsesome article and kinda makes me want to get another carcano and convert to 357. I am not interested in the limits of the 353 but alittle more then a 357 would be interesting!
    I got mine very cheap, (for an F/A), or I wouldn't have been interested. It's basically a 4 pound .357 revolver with a 9-1/2" barrel. I have read a good bit on loading for this gun, and the .357 brass really isn't that weak at all. I would find out what your frame is rated for, and would have NO issues with carefully working up loads to that maximum. H-110/296 will likely work better, and aren't as "peaky" as 2400 on the top end. Loads to the 60,000 Psi range were printed for the F/A model .353, and it has no problem digesting those. For what it's worth, primer pockets start to get loose not much above that. Those loads are well and truly safe in the .353, they obviously wouldn't be in a 5 shot Taurus snubbie. The point being, dependent on the firearm in question, there is a BIG gain to be made in a strong firearm over the SAAMI spec. You just have to know your firearms limitations, and work up carefully.

Oh, as to shooting the 353, it makes a kinda big bang, and kicks a bit more than you would expect, but still 1 hand easy. (remember, 4 pound gun). I am shooting a 210 grain cast RCBS booilt, which can be seated to the normal crimp groove thanks to the long cylinder. My load seems mild, but it likely in the 1,400+ fps. range, I should chrono it. It has given me some sub 1/2" 25 yd. groups, so the speed hasn't concerned me much at this point. Let us know how your loading adventures go.
    Last edited by dubber123; 11-07-2014 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Wrong yardage.. longer range testing to come.. Sorry..

Boolit Master
    my 195g rcbs sil gas check bullet 11.5g 2400 in my trapper 1230fps and very accurate 2 inches 100 yards

if you seat out to OAL the same as the MAX, you can pretty much duplicate the MAX loads/velocities

this has been covered before.
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!