Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading Everything
Wideners Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lyman 45 rant

Boolit Bub

lyman 45 rant

after reading several threads on here about bringing a lyman 45 back to life I purchased one and started cleaning it up. Everything was going great. I got it completely apart, painted it and blued the non painted metal parts. I upgraded the pressure screw and nut. Then my problems began. When I installed the new pressure screw I quickly realized that the hole in the cap was smaller than the new pressure screw. I figured I'd just drill out the hole in the cap. Well, I broke the cap. Now I'm going to have to order a new cap. I went about trying out the 45 on some newly cast boolits and after the first 40-50, the bolt that the handle pivots on broke. This bolt is 1/4 x 28 at the threaded end but larger at the pivot point. No buying an exact replacement. I happened to have some 1/4 stainless rod around so I threaded it and tried it. It bent in short order. I bought a 1/4" clevis pin, threaded it and it broke almost immediately. I want to drill out the threads and go to a bigger class 8 bolt but I'm worried about breaking that. I've seen where another member here made an improved system, unfortunately, I'm not that talented. I'm about to sell this thing as parts and go back to tumble lubing....
    RANT COMPLETE

Boolit Master

That bolt that broke is called a shoulder screw, Ace hardware may have one or can order you one.
    Measure the diameter and length of the shoulder for the proper fit, you know the thread size.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Time for the Star! You can crank and yank on that baby and it'll still do a bucketful of boolits in an hour.
    I do also have four 45's and love em all. I guess sometimes a bad one comes along though.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

from your description you have what i refer too as a generation 1 ( shoulder bolt, spoked cast iron top etc ) odd you broke the shoulder bolt ,usually the handle lets go first ,some parts can be found ,did you try posting in the WTB section ?
    the #45's are me fav of all the lyman sizers , yet having said that i also have to state that they arent the toughest ones eg; great for slight to medium sizing but ... they'll never be a swaging press
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Moderator Emeritus

Wow, you must really have a tough boolit to be breaking the shoulder bolt, like Fryboy said, usually the handle breaks or the linkage mount.

If you go the route of drilling it out. I'd suggest to drill it 5/16" and NOT threading it. find a (grade 8) 5/16" bolt with the correct length of untreaded shoulder. modify the hexhead so you can insert it from the sizer side and use a nylock nut to fasten the handle. I can post photos tonight...I am late for work right now.
    I may have an extra on lying around ?
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I got rid of my Lyman 45 as soon as the Lyman 450 came out. The 450 is a more study and serviceable machine. Most folks think older is better but in the case of Lyman lubesizers, that is not the case.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

How much were you sizing down those bullets? Sounds like a bit too much. I like my 45 but only use it for small specialty jobs, use the Star for the normal stuff.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for all the help. This isn't something anyone can order, I've tried that route. I'm trying to size from .454 down to .452. I think maybe the bolt was loose and that contributed to its breaking. I've considered drilling it out but I'm worried I'll break the casting, like I did with the cap.
    @JonB, if you've got a spare, let me know. I'd be glad to buy it from you. Btw...the spring I got from you works great. Thanks

I tore up my Lyman 45 sizing water dropped .454 bullets down to .452. I bought the 450, repaired the 45 and eventually gave it to a guy in Canada. That experience cured me of (A) water dropping bullets and (B) using the Lyman 45.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks Jon B for the advice. I drilled out the threads and found a 5/16 shoulder bolt that was just the right length and put a nylock nut on it.

Moderator Emeritus

Well, that should certainly be stronger than the original 1/4x28 shoulder bolt.
    I hope it works well for you.
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

Boolit Master
    As a tool and die maker, I've used a lot of shoulder bolts over the years. shoulder bolts are sized by the diameter and length of the body part of the bolt, and not the thread size. They were designed for a specific use in stamping dies, but have found many other uses. The body of a shoulder bolt is slightly less than nominal dimension so they will slide through a reamed hole in a stripper plate. The body is hardened and drawn to a much higher strength than a grade 8 bolt. If you visit a local machine shop, they may have the size you need in stock. If they don't, they are available through mscdirect, or most of the other supply houses that carry cutting tools, etc. You may have to buy a small quantity to get them, but it will put your press back together without having to do any or possibly minimal work.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by fast ronnie View Post
    As a tool and die maker, I've used a lot of shoulder bolts over the years. shoulder bolts are sized by the diameter and length of the body part of the bolt, and not the thread size. They were designed for a specific use in stamping dies, but have found many other uses. The body of a shoulder bolt is slightly less than nominal dimension so they will slide through a reamed hole in a stripper plate. The body is hardened and drawn to a much higher strength than a grade 8 bolt. If you visit a local machine shop, they may have the size you need in stock. If they don't, they are available through mscdirect, or most of the other supply houses that carry cutting tools, etc. You may have to buy a small quantity to get them, but it will put your press back together without having to do any or possibly minimal work.
    I am always looking for alternatives to the non-existant Lyman 45 replacement parts.
    Especially those unique screws lyman likes to use, like this shoulder bolt and also the linkage mount pivot bolt.
    I just went to mscdirect, and they have nothing near the correct dimensions with 1/4x28 threads.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boolit Bub
    picture of repair, unfortunately I can't figure out how to get the picture upright. smh

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141106_215932.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	121186

Yes, after cleaning it up I painted it Flat Dark Earth. I just couldn't do the orange
    Last edited by tking308; 11-07-2014 at 01:03 AM. Reason: update

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by fast ronnie View Post
    I actually contacted a company that makes custom shoulder bolts but I never heard back from them. I'm guessing though that I couldn't have purchased enough of them to make it feasable.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by tking308 View Post
    picture of repair, unfortunately I can't figure out how to get the picture upright. smh

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141106_215932.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	121186

Yes, after cleaning it up I painted it Flat Dark Earth. I just couldn't do the orange
    Looks Good, I like the color.
    you mentioned breaking the reservoir cap when trying to drill it out, did you glue it back together ?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boolit Bub
    Jon B, that's exactly what I did. Contact cement . I figured there isn't any pressure on it, so it would do until/if I get a replacement.

Moderator Emeritus

well, there can be some pressure on it when turning the pressure screw when the lube level gets low...and that is the main 'reason' for it, is to keep the pressure screw centered as the pressure nut gets lower into the reservoir.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    well, there can be some pressure on it when turning the pressure screw when the lube level gets low...and that is the main 'reason' for it, is to keep the pressure screw centered as the pressure nut gets lower into the reservoir.
    I didn't realize that. I guess I'll go ahead and order a replacement cap.

Boolit Master

Do I love the search button on this site!

Broke the same shoulder bolt on my Lyman 45 yesterday morning sizing some air-cooled and aged (4 weeks) LEE Karabiner 8mm bullets to .325 for some later 8mm-06 reloads.

I like the idea of going to the thicker bolt and the enclosed picture showing the repair will do the fix just right. Now I'm regretting the week-long business trip I'm getting ready to go on today. Here is to remembering this fix next Monday!

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast