Inline FabricationLoad DataReloading EverythingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: Ruger "dark" stainless finish?

Boolit Master

Ruger "dark" stainless finish?

I cannot remember what they called it but, does anyone know if that type finish can be achieved without Ruger's deep pockets. Paint is not an option for what I want. The thread on scotch brite got me interested again. I was wondering if I "evenly contaminated" the stainless surface with a carbon steel brush if it would then take a rust blue enough to "get rid of the silver". And yes I know I'm nutts, just want to darken a barrel I made form a Green Mountain blank for a 10-22 squirrel rifle. Really like the way it handles and shoots but just don't like the stainless barrel,I have already bead blasted it.

Boolit Grand Master

Use this:
    http://www.caswellplating.com/metal-...r-8-fl-oz.html

I will tell you for your own good: Use it outdoors, wear rubber gloves, and do not breathe the vapors.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Vendor Sponsor

Got any pics of how this stuff looks like goodsteel?
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    Thanks Goodsteel, that looks like it may be just the ticket ! I'll second anypics??? And in your experience, does it need a sealer?

20$ + 15 shipping (unless I want UPS Freight for 165$!!!!!) and all good reviews, looks good

Boolit Grand Master

Sure. Here's a 50 caliber barrel made of 416SS that I used the stuff on. It's very tough, and unlike cold blue cannot be rubbed off or lightened with vigorous rubbing with a steel wool pad.
    Attachment 121103
    Attachment 121105You will notice it's slightly paler than true hot tank bluing like this, but its pretty close.

As to your question about a sealer? What? are you afraid it's going to rust or something? LOL!

Boolit Bub
    Goodsteel is right. I used it to blacken some stainless glock barrels. Works great and don't turn you back when you put it in there. lol

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the tip Tim. Just what I have been looking for, for a special project.
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

Boolit Master
    Hey Goodsteel, thanks for the pic and info on the durability ! Thats just what I was looking for!

Boolit Grand Master

Just be careful to wear rubber gloves and use this stuff with adequate ventilation. Its dangerous!
    I was using the stuff in my shop with the door open. Next thing I knew I felt nauseous and felt I was going to faint. I removed to fresh air and after about 30 minutes started to feel normal again. No telling how many neurons I killed that day.

Love Life
    That's actually pretty good looking, Tim. I may go with that as the finish for the next box of parts I send your way.

Perma-Banned

ok, I am going to have to try this stuff it looks pretty cool.

Vendor Sponsor

Wow that does look good! Wonder how it would work on a high gloss Ruger Vaquero?

Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    Anoher thread reminded me to get back to his project. I just bought a Rossi 511 (4inch J frame size kit gun) that shoots very well. I may go aheadd and dive in on the 10-22 barrel and then see if I want o try it on the Rossi.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    I finally got some time to try out the Caswell stuff Tim recommended.
    Beautiful!!!
    If the area to be blackened is highly polished it will look Very Close to being blued, If it is rough it will darken nicely and give a very interesting finish. I will try to get pics, but I am not blessed with good camera skills.
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

Boolit Master
    You can try something that is used in the medical industry for titanium parts.
    Blast your parts using sodium bicarbonate. On titanium it turns battleship gray. Stainless will probably be a dull silver color.

If you want it even more dull, wet blasting might do that.

Just remember that if you blast thin sections you can warp or bend the part.
    EDG