Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Load DataRepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: new .358 GC 180 grain FNfp/HP mold alloy choice?

Boolit Mold

new .358 GC 180 grain FNfp/HP mold alloy choice?

a little background.

firearm is a 350 Remington magnum 17" encore pistol.

just killed a 15 point 6x6 450 pound dressed red stag.

load was 60 grains of 4064, 200 grain TTSX barnes BT shot at 2560. killed it at 230 yards.

I am going to use this rig for deer. my current molds are 280 grain spire point and 358009 round nose. NEITHER are suitable for small white tails.

my hot light 242 grain spire point shoots at 2400. copper alloy.

I need to drop it down a lot for little white tails. purchased a NOE 180 grain GC FP/HP rn mold. going to HP the castings.

plan to shoot them 2500 ish.

the question is, what alloy will get me expansion without fragmenting a hollow point at that velocity? I can push it to nearly 3000 if necessary.

I can slow it down a bit but I want hydrostatic shock and quick kill also.

thanks.

Boolit Grand Master

You seriously need to take a step back and think about the fact that cast lead does not have a hard as nails jacket to hinder expansion. You are applying jacketed philosophy to cast lead, and you just don't understand what you are talking about doing to the deer!
    Please sir, read the thread in my sig line and see what a cast lead boolit will do at less than 2100fps.

You do not need nor want a HP.
    You do not need nor want speed faster than 2000fps.

The RCBS 35-200-FN is a great choice for what you want to do, but you should cast it out of COWW + 2.5% tin. If you really plan on shooting at 2400fps, and you expect to have anything left worth eating in a 12" circle surrounding the point of impact, you need to harden those boolits up and make them as tough as possible to minimize damage to a more sane level.

I hope you take no offence to what I am saying, but you see I used to think just like you do, and I have learned the hard way. People here arn't shooting 1800FPS because they are wusses, or have an aversion to recoil, or want to see how little they can use to get the job done. They shoot 1800fps, because anything more is just wasteful on so many levels. The beauty of cast lead is that you can do so much more with so much less. You'll be amazed.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Grand Master
    ditto ! !

Boolit Mold
    I have no problem using the casting as a 180 grain fp. hardness is the question here. I shoot plenty at 1800 at the range. a little 5744 does that. I want to have the accuracy and flatness for 200 yard shots.

Boolit Grand Master

You can get to 2600 but accuracy may be a problem. You're going to need a perfectly fitting Boolit to do that, perfect lube, perfect powder, and perfect alloy. Only a lot of shooting will determine exactly what you need to be using. I think you can get into the mid 2300s with the alloy I mentioned before (COWW+2.5% TIN) and a decent boolit design (like the 35-200-FN) but accuracy will start to degrade slightly above that point.
    Of course, your definition of accuracy may be looser than mine. I want 20 shots inside 2" at 100 yards for anything I plan on shooting longer ranges with.
    If you are cool with 3-5 inch groups at 200 yards, then you could easily(ish) get 2500-2650.
    Last edited by MBTcustom; 11-06-2014 at 04:42 PM.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.