RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Wideners Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Results - 8x56r cast bullet w/ gascheck 338 230Gr. RF (Frankenstein) - 4350 powder

Me not you,

just curious about where that lead deposit developed: Did it appear only within the first inches of the bore or all over it?

Thanks
    "Skill is acquired not alone through practice but through the combination of study and experience" - P. Sharpe

Seems to be all along the bore. It wipes out with a patch and solvent. When I coat the bullets with some kind of lube or grease it doesn't happen.
    Thomas Paine:
    “To argue with a person who has denounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”

I decided to "go for it" and got the NOE "Frankenstein" 5-cavity mould. In an afternoon I can run off about 30 pounds of cast bullets, so the mould will pay for itself with one use. Some I'll air cool for protection from my furry bad neighbors, the rest I'll water drop. Ranges are usually 100 yards or less on my land, so they might be just what I need. This time of year with dense foliage, I could probably use a bayonet in some cases.
    Thomas Paine:
    “To argue with a person who has denounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”

Quote Originally Posted by Me not you View Post
    Seems to be all along the bore. It wipes out with a patch and solvent. When I coat the bullets with some kind of lube or grease it doesn't happen.
    How much tin is in your alloy? Could it be tin wash your experiencing?

I'm using well mixed wheelweights, with a 1/4 ounce of tin in a 10 pound pot. I'm guessing the coating is lead that's abraded off the bullet going from the chamber into the bore, that is then atomized and blown along the barrel by the hot gasses. I'm driving the bullets close to 2,000 fps for protection; as well as targets. I did have a bear crash out of the bushes about 40 feet away while I was walking back from the target. He did stop before I felt a need to pull the trigger.
    Thomas Paine:

your theory seems probable if your throat is pretty heavily eroded.

i just bought the same NOE "Frankenstein" mould and just started using it w/o the gascheck with 7 grn of 700x for my plinking loads. I managed to put 10 rounds down range today and was happy with my results. i put 8 out of 10 shots into a 2L jug at 100 yards.

im curious as to what loads you are using to get that kind of velocity as i would like to use my M95/30 to take a deer at some point in the future. I assume you are working with 4350? ive seen it said that 3031 is better in the 8x56r
    Last edited by jugulater; 07-13-2015 at 08:22 PM.

Cast bullets give a lot less resistance than jacketed. Faster propellants will work better. IMR 3031 might work well if you have it. You need to snoop around for some load data. Unfortunately I won't provide any thanks to the lawyers. I highly recommend Quickload for working with these older, odder cartridges. It has a fair amount of cast bullet info.
    The 8x56 Solothurn has a lot of capacity. Fired cases in my rifle measure 70 grains. This will vary from rifle to rifle.
    Thomas Paine:

I went for it and put the NOE 5-cavity "Frankenstein" mold work this afternoon.
    I ran off nearly a thousand of water dropped WW, and they all look like keepers. I'll let them sit for a while to finish hardening. By the end of the month I should have sized, loaded and fired some at about 1950fps with XMR5744. I'll report on how they do.

I bought his 316299 5-cavity for the Finned M91 and they shoot better than I can. Obviously I'm extremely pleased with the NOE product. In one afternoon I can run off enough good bullets to pay for the mold twice over.
    Last edited by Me not you; 09-11-2015 at 06:47 PM.
    Thomas Paine:

Boolit Master

Had some decent initial results with the NOE mould and my Styer M95. I was using faster burning powders like Unique and 2400 but want to try some of the rifle powders but it is hard to find data.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M95 Actionammo web.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	247545
    Last edited by Intel6; 08-30-2019 at 12:08 PM.

I ran a few through the sizer/lubricator without changing it's adjustments from the LEE 330 boolit. They will need some work. The loads shot OK and they were pretty potent. I need to seat them a little deeper to avoid having the boolit stuck in the throat If I need to eject a loaded round. I had the lead flashing issue, so I'll need to coat them in some manner. MORE TO COME. For those who just want to try cast, the LEE 0.330 boolit worked pretty well for a $20 mold.
    Thomas Paine:

I set up the bullet sizer to properly run the slugs, and the bullet seating die to have the base of the bullet just at the bottom of the case neck. I loaded with WW760 for about 1950fps per quickload. (Recoil is more bearable with the slower powders). The Frankenstein bullet has a reduced diameter area on the nose which I dipped in heated Carnuba red lube. Done just right, the cartridges load with very little extra push on the bolt handle. The whole combination worked pretty well. I shot four-inch groups standing at about 50 yards which is about the best I can do with this light short rifle. The propellant didn't burn as well as I hoped, so I'll try an extruded one next time. Big thing, NO SILVERY COATING IN THE BARREL. I've found the combination to make cast work in my "baby cannon" except for some experimentation with propellant. Powerful, fairly accurate, and a clean barrel.
    Last edited by Me not you; 09-29-2015 at 05:41 PM.
    Thomas Paine:

Boolit Bub
    I updated my original postings because the pictures were not properly showing anymore - so I uploaded and attached pics

I have a lovely Scout Scoped, Austrian M95 that slugs at .334. I tried the Lee .329-205, as cast at .331 lubed with BLL, with 16 Gr Alliant 2400 and CCI 200. Accuracy was dismal. Got the "Old Feller" Frankenstein from NOE..... Wonderful molds! Mine dropped at .340, Water Quenched, using WW and added a bit of 95/5 bar solder for each 2 lb ingot..... Sized to .338 with .339 gas check. Lubed with "Ceresin Purple" and 2 coats of BLL. Tried 16 gr Alliant 2400, got blackened cases-- cases not sealing well, and 3" group at 50 yds. Worked up to 20 gr of Alliant 2400, with CCI250, suddenly cases sealed, no blackening and got five shot 5/8" group at 50 yds. WE have a winner!! Recoil not bad, accurate, no leading. WHAT FUN!!!!! Just the thing for 200 yard "Bang and Clang" steel silhouette off-hand competition!
    Last edited by ak_milsurp; 07-27-2020 at 07:40 PM.
    "Remember the Range Day and keep it Holy. May the light of the Holy Tracer guide thy aim!"

NRA Benefactor Member

Anchorage, Alaska

Boolit Grand Master

AK_milsurp, where did you get a scout scope mount for it, I've looked for the last couple years now and cant find one, real hard for me to shoot opens any longer.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    AK_milsurp, where did you get a scout scope mount for it, I've looked for the last couple years now and cant find one, real hard for me to shoot opens any longer.
    I bought a long eye relief scope for a Mossberg .308 Scout Rifle with a picatinny rail forward of the action. I also used it on an AR15 for load development with a 3/4" Riser which centered the scope over the barrel nut. That works very well.

I don't like a scope reticle right in my face, I find it distracting. With the long eye relief, I can shoot with both eyes open as with a reflex red dot. The scope was Truglo 4x fixed with 4" eye relief, made for shotguns. The diamond reticle made sight acquisition quick and handy for 'run and gun' drills. As far as the Scout rifle, it was perfect for placing the reticle forward of the action for easy top loading, even though the rifle feeds from a box mag. The Mosberg actually uses either the M1A or AR 10 mags with a nifty mag release that helps prevent heavy brush from hitting the release latch. I got mine (I have 2 now) for less than $60 bucks. Comes matte black with rings but I bought rings for the use of the ghost ring sights and the scope.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

S&K. Makes the scout mounts

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk
    "Remember the Range Day and keep it Holy. May the light of the Holy Tracer guide thy aim!"

NRA Benefactor Member

Anchorage, Alaska

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123