RotoMetals2RepackboxReloading EverythingLee Precision
Titan ReloadingLoad DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Results - 8x56r cast bullet w/ gascheck 338 230Gr. RF (Frankenstein) - 4350 powder

Boolit Bub
    last 5 shots 47 gr

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	47.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	247398
    Last edited by HikerLT; 08-27-2019 at 12:52 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Have you any idea what velocities you are running? I'll have to run the same boolit but with 4064, when I get to the range and get the scope sighted in on my carbine.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    I'm always happy to see someone working with these old Steyrs. What gas checks are you using? I've thought this would be a good candidate for a heavy plain base. WC872? I gotta check that out.

Super Moderator

.............Would still be interesting to know what the barrel slugs and what you're sizing the boolits to?

.............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    .............Would still be interesting to know what the barrel slugs and what you're sizing the boolits to?

.............Buckshot
    x2...

I recently picked up an Austrian Steyr 95, and the bore is gigantic. It slugs at a whopping .335", so I'm seriously doubting that the .329 8x56r mould from Lee (C329-205-1R 8x56mm) is going to give good accuracy. The only thing that looks like it will come close is a .338 mould from Lee, RCBS, or anyone else. Having not even fired the rifle yet, I'm wondering if the .329 mould from Lee would be a good candidate for paper patching.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 1johnlb View Post
    Right, I noticed that in the previous comment. My question was about what diameter that others are sizing their cast bullets for the larger M95 bore.

It seems to me, that each one is different. I have 3, all different sizes. My push thru is .334 and that's to small for 1 of them. The amount of corrosion seems to be the determining factor. I think when I start playing with mine again I'm going to see if .338 will chamber in all of them.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 1johnlb View Post
    It seems to me, that each one is different. I have 3, all different sizes. My push thru is .334 and that's to small for 1 of them. The amount of corrosion seems to be the determining factor. I think when I start playing with mine again I'm going to see if .338 will chamber in all of them.
    When the Indy 1500 gun show is in weekend-after-next I'm going to pick up the .329 and the .338 mould from Lee and see what I can get done with them. If you're able to try out anything before then please let me know so that we can exchange notes!

Boolit Buddy
    I have an Austrian and love it, light and very handi. The bore measures .333 and is rough but shoots the Lee .338 boolit well. I can shoot 2-3 inch, 3 shot groups at 100 yards with the crappy stock sights and my old eyes. Longer strings lead to some stringing but was not a concern to me as the deer is gone before than. I used it last year to take a nice whitetail. My load was 18gr 2400, lube 45/45/10 x2 coats. I’m not sure of vol, as some idiot shot my Croni. I would have taken the guy out but suicide is a mortal sin. I was considering the Frankenstein mold but it shoots the lee Boolit so well could not justify the expense.

Name:	IMG_0297.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	125828

Tony

Brett, what are you sizing the Lee to or are you shooting them as cast? I've settled on 13gr reddot for my pet load, it yields 2-3" groups with more than enough recoil for my pleasure.

Boolit Buddy
    Ooops sorry, sized .334. I soft tip per Bruce Bs process when hunting. I need to give your red dot load a try as have a few pounds of it and running low on 2400.
    Tony

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett Ross View Post
    I have an Austrian and love it, light and very handi. The bore measures .333 and is rough but shoots the Lee .338 boolit well. I can shoot 2-3 inch, 3 shot groups at 100 yards with the crappy stock sights and my old eyes. Longer strings lead to some stringing but was not a concern to me as the deer is gone before than. I used it last year to take a nice whitetail. My load was 18gr 2400, lube 45/45/10 x2 coats. I’m not sure of vol, as some idiot shot my Croni. I would have taken the guy out but suicide is a mortal sin. I was considering the Frankenstein mold but it shoots the lee Boolit so well could not justify the expense.

Name:	IMG_0297.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	125828

Tony

Dang, that looks like it was a bloody mess on the in and out. Your results sound really encouraging, and I'm excited to get mine shooting proper.

Boolit Buddy
    Pass through double lung. I did not recover the boolit but the exit wound was 1/2-3/4". Shot was 60-75 yards and deer ran about 50yds or so. I would not swear on boolit expansion as it took ribs on the entrance and exit wounds. I was planning on using it again this year but Iowa shut down the only season we could use rifles. The plan was to try for one with my 45LC Blackhawk but not confident enough with my shooting ability yet to use it. I may take a trip to Missouri next year but if I do, I will mount a scout scope as my eyes are getting no younger.
    Tony

Boolit Buddy
    I was at the range this (very cold!) morning doing some shots with my new-to-me M95. I was firing some paper patched 170 grain bullets from re-formed 7.62x54r cases. I started with 20 grains of 5744 and worked up two grains at a time until reaching 26 grains of 5744. If I had more brass I would have fired more. I wasn't getting any over-pressure signs and accuracy was better at the 26-grain loads than at the 20-grain loads. Whenever I'm able to get my hands on one of Lee's .338 moulds and a sizing die I'll see if it doesn't get better accuracy than my amateurish paper patching.

Super Moderator

...........As I've posted before, the problem with the M95 Straight pulls in 8x56R is the somewhat idiotic chamber/barrel dimensions. When you have a .333" groove and a .316" land/bore that is a groove of just over .008" deep. Follow that up with a bore form where the lands equal about 50% of the barrel's internal ID. That means that fully HALF of that .333" OD slug is going to be squeezed down .008" all around, or .016" total. That is a considerable amount of lead being displaced.

Add to that that if you're one who likes to "Fill the throat", in this rifle it is no problem at all to CHAMBER a cartridge with an 'As cast' Lee C-338-210-R at .340" in mine. Might be different in yours Now you're not moving .016" of lead around the circumference of the boolit, but .024" all around! Egads!

All the difficulties in getting these things to shoot has to do with the out of bounds dimensions found between the chamber and barrels. Proof of this is very dramatically shown when these dimensions are more in line with what we're used to. As an example I had a M95/31 with an abysmal bore replaced with a new 30 cal bbl, and chambered to 30-40 Krag. A cartridge that is similar enough to the 8x56R to preclude major issues in feeding due to OAL and case dimensions. Similarly the 303 Brit and the 7.62x54R Russian would be similar candidates.

A couple minor modifications to the clip are all that is required. The Russian case would be even simpler.

The re-barreled carbine. It will easily handle book 30-40 loads, cast or jacketed and shoots them with all the accuracy anyone would desire.

A target fired with 23.0 grs of H4198 and the Lyman 311284 at 50 yards. Groups fired with book loads and jacketed ammo are just a good.

Without re-barreling it's a matter of experimenting to find out what dimensions work best for cast in YOUR M95.

...............Buckshot
    Last edited by Buckshot; 01-10-2015 at 02:24 AM.
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Lee .338 220gr bullet

When the wait for the re-introduced Frankenstein mold became too much, I bought a LEE mould for the .338 220gr GC bullet (you can't beat the price). I size it 0.338 (almost as cast) and lube with Carnuba Red and Hornady gas checks. My bore is 0.334 groove and 0.315 land. It shoots extremely well for five or ten shots until a silvery film of lead builds up. The stuff literally wiped right out when cleaning so it's not what's classically referred to as leading. I then tried putting a coat of tumble lube on the bullets before loading them, and that made a big improvement. I'm now trying heating a small amount of Carnuba Red and dipping the exposed bullets on loaded rounds to coat it. This will take some development work to get an even thin coat.
    If that can be made to work, I might get the NOE Frankenstein mould, and put the little blaster (M95/30 Carbine) back to work as a foliage season brush rifle. If I was going to do anything with this rifle, I might see if the bore can be cleaned out to an honest 0.338. That's essentially what I'm loading anyway.
    Last edited by Me not you; 07-01-2015 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Typos
    Thomas Paine:
    “To argue with a person who has denounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”

The cast bullet loads that were dipped in melted Carnuba Red needed to have the excess scraped off, and they were hard to chamber. There was still too much on them it turns out. They did shoot very well, with no "flashing" of lead. I'll have to experiment a little to see if I can just get a thin film. Lee tumble lube does work very well, so if the "dip" approach can't be made to work easily I'll use the tumble lube.
    Thomas Paine:
    “To argue with a person who has denounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”

Boolit Master

Me not You, Have you thought about using Ben's BLL? Just might be the trick you need over the carnauba red.
    Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway. John Wayne

A man has to do what a man has to do. John Wayne

I looked up Ben's BLL. He used a liquid wax with a lot of solvent, and mixed that with tumble lube. Apparently that wax is no longer made. Some folks have mentioned liquid car wax. Turtle has a liquid carnuba wax. I might take a look at that. If it doesn't work I can still use it for it's original purpose.
    Thomas Paine:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast